Open PvP with full loot everywhere in online mode?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ara, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I was trying to sound "Neutral" since when i speak my mind against any pve i get in trouble!

Ulfhednar likes this.
  2. Silvermink

Silvermink Avatar

The horse may be beaten but won't die. Until the dev's actually answer this question it will remain. The dev's have rolled back some of the hardcore desires they had at the start and leave us confused about the state of PVP. While some may tout the benefits of selective multiplayer, until the dev's answer what the exact settings will be there too I won't be so sure. Some people want to play from start to finish without ever getting flagged for PVP (in online mode, not single), and others think that if 1 person escapes their victim pool the PVP isn't hardcore enough, there is no way to satisfy everyone.

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

yes you are right, but still it remains the same statements over and over again by the same individuals. I have been chastised for this statement so I will not repeat it. Everyone has the right to express themselves. Even if it is to the point of nausea lol. I think, as well as many that have posted in countless threads on this, that we have a good system in place that allows everyone to have what they want with the only exception being you cannot pk an un flagged individual.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Therous

Therous Avatar

I have seen many arguments over the difference between the term PVP and PK... also I have seen arguments over weather it should be full loot and open pvp.... The answer is... The difference between PVP and PK is.... Pk is someone who lives in the wild and lives and survives off of the loot of other players.... With out full loot and open pvp their is no such thing as a PK... PVP on the other hand is just like what you did in wow... duel and went in to battle grounds where you fought players but had no loss of loot or loss of any kind really... (just like fps imo)... Thats one of the major factors in what made UO unique and good when it was first released in 1997 (the other is having to gm 7 skills out of 100, so your character was unique, no leveling of any kind) the old school west... In town their was rules outside of town their was no rules... SOTA needs to be like UO was in the beginning... many of us old school gamers have been waiting 20 years for that game again.... If you don't agree with full loot or open pvp then their are 1000s of other games for you like. wow. Let us have our 1 game! You took it from us when the STAT loss patch was implemented in 1999 and began imo the downfall of Ultima Online the best game that ever existed... Finally 20 years later I have a small glimmer of hope in a real free mmorpg governed only by how good of a player I am... I am a PK and plan on pking till the day I die...

Chesapeake for the win... :p just wanna see how many of you played Chesapeake in the old days of good gaming.

5. Robby

Robby Avatar

I played chesapeke. but I was late.... year 2000 was when I came in. But I remember wanting old school UO since the day I tried to use my pickaxe on some other miner's pack mule. I always wondered why I didnt have the ability to be evil in a game that I thought was one where I could choose to be either a hero, or a complete villain. Then I talked to other people who told me all about old school UO and I was instantly hooked. I finally got a taste of it when I discovered private servers and I loved it!!
    But honestly, put yourself in the shoes of the developers. This is more than just your hobby its your career. I want this old school UO just as bad. ANYTHING you do with something like this is going to be liked by some, hated by others. Now... I really dont know who is higher in population the old school UO lovers, or the people who prefer WoW style PvP. I dont know how you can actually prove it. The way I see it, when UO first came out, no one really thought about all this PvP politics. The developers of UO just went ahead and created for the one of the first times, a sandbox MMORPG, this term probably didnt even exist back then. Some people liked it, some people didnt. Perhaps it was because they got impatient from being pk'd and quit. It was these types of people that started dreaming of a sandbox game where pking and stealing didn't exist. Then there were individuals who thrived in this type of environment! And I dont mean they either went around killing everyone in sight, or that they ran around killing every PK in sight. They just really enjoyed the game and kept playing it just how it was! They may not have really cared wether or not it was full loot open world pvp, it was just an awesome experience for them being a blacksmith or doing whatever their trade was the occasional pk or theif was all just part of the world. These people are the ones that just played the game, and when trammel came out they said, "meh whatever". They aren't very vocal here at all im sure, because... well.... they dont care! Its kinda like politics in real world USA... Or at least what I heard politics in the USA are like: Most people dont vote, the only people making all the noise are the people that are on one side or the other, which is a very minority population compared to the number of people who just dont give a hoot. Perhaps full loot PvP open world could thrive... But the only way to know that is by making the game and thats a scary gamble. Maybe they could give us "that one game" thats not WoW, but whose gonna take the risk? It seems what we hear all the time is that only trammel/WoW based games thrive. Its just like when you hear people spreading bad news about a stock, drops in value, when it may actually be a nice investment.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Robby

Robby Avatar

Yes I am quoting myself!

You see... We who are fighting over having old school UO vs. purely PvE and optional pvp or WoW style PvP.. Are focusing too much on the player killing, and looting. Was PKing and killing PK's all everyone did??? Its not what the private shards I play on are all about. You got people who PvE, RP, craft, gather, fish, or just mess around and chat it up with others. How many of these people go there JUST because they want to either, PK or kill PK's? Maybe they just like the game but the game just happens to have full loot open world PvP. They dont like getting pk'd but rather than dreaming of an MMO world where there are no Pk's or theives they just keep playing and accepting it as part of the game they play. These people aren't here talking with us are they??? Where are they at? Can you raise your hand and tell me you dont care?
    I guess the same thing goes for trammel/pure PvE. You get a ton of people joining these types of MMO's and they weren't really thinking, "I better be able to pk/kill pk's!" They were just looking for a sandbox MMO to play and here it is for them.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

This post feels very familiar, as if I had read it before...before.....before....before.....

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is where somebody says, "Well you know ... it just isn't right to drag me into PvP if I don't want to PvP yadda yadda yadda." which causes a serious debate and flared tempers. Everybody suffers. The most painful thing is each person says the same thing in different ways. But maybe this time it will convince him! Instead it turns into a riot. Somebody cast Armageddon!

Meanwhile SotA has always been designed so that PvP is optional, not just opt out of pvp, you have to specifically opt in.

9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well, you did post in this thread back in December, about four posts up actually.

Was there any particular reason you decided to use the power of necromancy and revive this one ?

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well it was in the recent activity section, some one must have liked it lol, because I sure didn't look for it :p I just responded

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is an ancient thread, as far as SotA goes.

King Henry: You think you know a story, but you only know how it ends. To get to the heart of the story, you have to go back to the beginning.
    "The Tudors"

12. ilcontegis

ilcontegis Avatar

Personally I have nothing against optional PVP.
    What I would like is that if I decide to do PVP I should be able to do it everywhere (cities included, beware of guards). This point seems to be what devs also want. The main issue which remains in my opinion is the loot. We need FULL LOOT in both PVP and PVE, this adds a great excitement to the game..

Ara likes this.
  13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I believe the way it stands now is if you are flagged for pvp, anywhere, you can be attacked. I believe that they are leaning toward full loot for pvp. I'm not sure what you mean by full loot pve though. *scratches head* :p

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I enjoyed the risk of losing items in uo and also the demand that created on crafting. Crafting was a huge part of the game replacing lost gear. This is what set uo apart from every game I've ever played. Its also the reason why I've put $1000 into this game.

Ara and L.M. Avorin Swiftslay like this.
  15. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

so flag yourself as a gatherer and go get pk'd. pretty easy solution for you. make sure you carry a scissor so they can cut all your stuff up. :)

Time Lord and Crikey like this.
  16. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

'Full loot PvE should be where appropriate NPCs (humanoid, dragons, sentient creatures, shiny collecting animals, etc...) loot players. This is a feature that we should definitely want and encourage simply because it makes for a more dynamic playing experience.

In all other games, NPCs are typically tuned down to easier-mode such that it's not a time consuming and arduous chore to carry out and complete quests. This becomes even more significant in games where toons 'level up'. But it doesn't have to be that way. If focus is instead shifted from leveling (and leveling as fast as one can) to the playing experience (and I don't mean experience points), then every encounter becomes a challenge in itself, every quest significant unto it's own, without a detracting ultimate goal of reaching end game as fast as all the cool kids do.

Allowing NPCs to loot players also adds a dimension for the developers, it increases the challenge and fun for them (and no doubt their work load) to be a little more creative when devising encounters for players and it potentially provides for an additional layer of AI.

17. wmidgard

wmidgard Avatar

18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I am not against this Idea, maybe not as quick as a PK would be but slowly over a period of time if you take a long time getting back to your corpse. Guess I'm not sure if there will be spawn points after death or how that will work. anyways.... *A blood elemental rummages through your body and takes your ........* :p

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Ara

Ara Avatar

Really? Interesting. Any info to share where you got that impression?

L.M. Avorin Swiftslay and Crikey like this.
  20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

It is from a post that was replied to me a couple days ago. Let me see if I can find it. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  21. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I still firmly believe that full loot should be an option that you choose when you do the 'Gift of the Oracle' mission. If you choose to expose yourself to full looting then you will get something else in return; my idea was an increased percentage of experience. 3-5% or so. This would allow and incentivize full loot without forcing it game wide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.