Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please Return Damage Resistance Back To Pre-53

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by By Tor, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The problem with just doing that is you lessen your skills. If you can slap on armor that puts you over the cap there's no point in having skills that improve your resistance. It's not as simple as just putting a hard cap on and calling it a day.

Elwyn and danjacobsmith like this.
  2. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I understand this may have been broken before, but this shift seems VERY extreme. I mean... there is no way to tank right now at all. You shouldn't need to heal 5 times in a battle versus 2 or 3 Large Red Spiders if you are adv level 100, and have ALL of the defensive buffs GMd and active. This swing was WAY too far in the other direction.

Tamsen, Chatele, Almar and 4 others like this.
  3. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Bowen, you and I run very similar builds, but I use a little magic to boost defense. I agree that it should be tweaked, I can acquiesce that much, but what I can't understand is why so drastically? I'm not sure if you have had a chance to play yet, but that Obsidian Bear you are referring to, will literally wipe the floor clean with you. Especially since you are a pure plate wearing melee build. I have no desire to play now because I am so squishy, plus the death xp cost and the repair cost, has increased exponentially. I really hope they fix this.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  4. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I'm an archer with leather, MW/EN to +9/10 on average, with particular attention to +'s to DR and crit. I don't have huge bonuses as it is, I believe my DR was about 11% prior to R53, and Deep Ravenswood was somewhat easy for me, but only if I was careful not to draw more than two-three mobs. Even that, with much kiting, I could handle if I didn't suffer a crazy crit, or get slapped with a chain of stuns or slows. I also had just managed to pull some weight at a siege last night, and was happy with it being a challenge to take down everything but the Cabalists (which were impossible for me alone). I haven't had a chance to try, as I am at work right now, but if I go back and everything wipes the floor with me, I'm going to be pissed.

Tamsen, FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Obsidian bears and wolves are hardly end-game content though.

They should've just capped the max resistance off at like 90% or something. Instead, they made it weaker across the board for everyone.

If only a handful of players were actually getting to 100%, then it doesn't sound like capping it is a big deal to be honest. I doubt they were getting to 100% without skills.

K1000, Vrunk Hrrk and Cordelayne like this.
  6. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I totally agree that an adv lvl 100+ player should take SOME damage from beasts like the obsidian bear/wolf when the defensive buffs are active. Absolutely! THIS change however is just too much. I should not be running for my life at my level (thousands of hours played, and GM in all of these resistance and avoidance buffs). We all need healers now.

Tamsen, Almar, K1000 and 3 others like this.
  7. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Oh, AND I am sure this did not make it so we can damage tougher tanky mobs easier too. It never works that way. Another shot to the casual PVE player. Wonderful.

Tamsen, K1000, Sarek and 3 others like this.
  8. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Why should an AL 100+ player take damage from an Obsidian Bear? If that is the design, then they should buff the bears to be harder...

Infineon and Nikko like this.
  9. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I wouldn't mind a cap on the max dr.. but the reduction of the base dr is obscene. Heavy armor has basically been made obsolete... but nearly everyone is suffering from this inexplicable change.

As others have mentioned: its basically set us all back by about 25+ adventure levels. If that's why it was done.. then mission accomplished.

10. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

My friend joined just after official release. He decided to play a full plate and shield tank. In less than 1 week he was taking basically 0 damage in most situations in tier 5 zones. He would even go afk in the middle of the zone because he couldn't be killed. Once he was afk and the bears kept knocking him back until they were out of range and ran back to their spawn points.

Heavy armor was fairly broken before this patch. Did they over correct? Maybe, but it certainly needed a large adjustment.

11. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

I personally thought they WERE supposed to be near-endgame material... and here I am at AL 68 taking them out in all instances (animals) with ease.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

ok.. I'm officially on the.. well it was needed but this was too much side.. Bottom end of DR needs to be shored up a bit.

That said however..

This didn't happen. But it did take my health down by nearly 1/3. Two of them at once would have been problematic. But last night I could've taken 10 and laughed it off.

No but at 76 with no GM'd defensive skills I'm hardly at end game levels either. :)

I'm not exactly a hard core player but my max resistance was about 112% standing still. Just from crafted armor, which I made.. which isn't terribly impressive compared to what's out there.

Just last week a relatively new player was saying how tanks had such an advantage in XP farming cause someone they new could easily take on a crowd of mobs at once.

Witcheypoo and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I'll call BS on that. I've been playing 6-8 hours a day for most of 2 months, and I'm a heavy armor user, and I don't take 0 damage in any situations in most tier 5 zones. I have 600 points in Heavy Armor and 1000 in Tactics. I still take damage from obsidian bears at AL 80.

Chatele, Aldo and K1000 like this.
  14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

We're not supposed to get exponentially more powerful..

Witcheypoo and Elwyn like this.
  15. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

I'm under the impression that the max resistance doesn't always apply. I've had mine over 100% for a long time, but that doesn't mean I negate 100% of incoming damage 100% of the time.

Exponentially, perhaps not...but more powerful, yes.

16. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

The defense was a bit messed up. There is no argument there, really. I loved it... but it was broken for sure. It just needs to be balanced quite a bit further now. It was too drastic of a change in R53. There is no way they had enough feedback on this from testing, apparently.

Has anyone tried S. Grunvald Barrens dragon yet? I'll bet even Mac will have a lot of trouble WITH friends. This is nuts.

Tamsen, Jaesun and Cordelayne like this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Between resistance and max resistance it takes which ever is lower. So if you're max resistance is 100+ and you're resist is 40... you can mitigate up to 40 damage before any applies.. trouble in that scenario when the base damage never exceeds that 40.. you're always be mitigating 100%..

18. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

The change has affected mobs as well, we get hit harder but we also hit harder. I'm having no issues at all.

19. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

Okay, but the high end content is doing way more than 40 damage per hit...

So, again, I guess it depends on what you consider high end content. I don't consider Obsidian bears high-end content in their current state. If they are meant to be, then they should make the bears stronger, not avatars weaker.

Would you propose that a rabbit should be able to damage you too?

20. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I don't think this is correct. I see absolutely no change in how long it takes me to dispatch foes, but I take like 500% more damage ALL OF THE TIME now.

Spexs, Tamsen, Dhanas and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.