Pledge Expiration - I'm Sorry, But It Has To Be Said

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nemo Herringwary, Jul 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m115919h

m115919h Avatar

This is from the latest update on 7/10/15.

Pledge Expirations

The Patron, Navigator, and Developer pledge tiers will no longer be available after August 31, 2015. Any current pledge less than Patron that upgrades after August 31, 2015 will not receive any of the unique pledge rewards included in those tiers (regardless of Era: Royal Founders, Founders, and Benefactors).

Please know that these expirations DO NOT affect any backers that already have these rewards. If you already got ’em, then you get to keep ’em! These expirations only affect new backers, or existing backers that have not upgraded to the specified pledge tiers before the expiration date.

[NOTE: Any payment plans started for the specified pledge tiers (Patron, Ancestor, & Lord) prior to Midnight CST, August 31, 2015 will not be affected by these expirations]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    Acred likes this.
  2. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Ah, in an email, got it thanks.

That is Great News!! Did they say Alpha / Beta!!

3. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

I'm afraid that in your anger you are misrepresenting your lessons in virtue. What you are presenting as Sacrifice is in fact its opposite, Covetous. I do not believe the Devs are designing a game in which we are being asked to treat our virtual possessions as an elitist symbol for profit-making - in fact, you are more than welcome, and likely encouraged, to freely share your possessions with others to make them feel welcome in New Britannia! From what I know of this lot, the majority of these Avatars posting here will likely do just that.

The Virtues as I have been taught by Lord British are as follows:
    • Valor - I stand up for my belief in this game and its developers and their vision, no matter what criticisms or doubts others may cast.
    • Honesty - I wait for clarification from the developers on their intentions and purposes in regard to this game, and refuse/endorse to bow to panic or reckless speculation.
    • Compassion - I feel badly that you are feeling so upset by this change in plan by the devs, Nemo. I hope you continue to play, and do not leave the game, sincerely. I've enjoyed seeing your posts and contributions.
    • Spirituality - I have had to have done a LOT of soul-searching to guiltlessly invest what have invested into this game, but I believe I did the right thing. I do think of it as an investment - into a wonderful world where I can visit, adventure, meet new friends, and be happy!
    • Sacrifice - I have had to give up money, time, and my posture to play this game... but it has all been worth it, because of what I have gained!
    • Justice - There have been times, like you, where I have felt the devs had made the wrong decisions. But after thought, and discussion with my Guild, I chose to be patient, and found that I was always rewarded for my patience. The devs and Lord British have yet to let me down.
    • Humility - I have not played computer games since the late 90's. When I heard Lord British was returning with a new company, to create the spiritual successor to Ultima, I returned, because I grew up playing in Britannia, and I wanted to relive those times, and again feel that happiness. I have already experienced this in Novia, countless times over, and it's only pre-alpha. I haven't shared that story with many people. I have humbled myself to share that with you, and all others on this forum.
    • Honor - I very much honor Lord British for his vision, for what he builds. The tagline for his former company Origin was "We create worlds." That was no exaggeration. I loved living in his worlds. I am honored to do so again, and uphold his honor by being here.
    Nemo, I get what you are saying. You have all the right in the world to be angry if you want, and to express your anger here. But please do not insult the devs, especially Lord British, and do not insult the other players. Express yourself respectfully. There are people who will agree with you, and not like this model; but there are clearly lots of players here who are fine with it and want to just have a good time. No need to bring us all down too. I truly do hope you decide to stay; I think it'll be a fun ride in the end. Be patient with it. Good things come to those who wait.

Humbly Yours,

4. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I'm happy with pledge expiration. This is the final kick in the ass to really do my planned upgrades.

5. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

*Hic* *Speaks all slurred and sets down his mug of brew on the table as he struggles to find the chair*

You ar...are a woooonderful avat*HIC* Tar Nemo. But but but....hmm lost my train of thought for a moment. You have a beautiful face and you speak funny too. I like that. *Hic*

I respect your views and to see someone who was so driven by *burp* this game feel put off is unfortunate. *smiles and giggles as he desperately tries to keep his eyes open*

NEVERtheless....or neverthemore? I am not sure. Hmmm *sips on his beer* I would really have liked to drink with you. Talk things over because when you feel something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget ey? *Chuckles* if someth..*hic* something good happens you drink in order to celebrate, and if NOTHING at all happens even if it means catching the stinking plague from zombies and having to face a trolls nether regions.... SO be it!

Pay you say? HAAA i get by with a mere gold coin and with the gift of imagination my life is complete. Just like *hic* when I was a kid and pretended to be James Bond, I didn't expect to get a salary for my awesome acting skills... I did it for fun!

The game is whatever you make it, but the community *points at every single one of you reading this ridiculously logical explanation* is what's great. I doooon't need to spend money on a donkey? Haaa I don't need to make a pledge any higher than necessary to be a LORD.

*Waves his hands around and makes funny noises*

Wooooopty doooooo look at me I'm a Loooord. It doesn't make them higher than you or lower than them. *picks nose* I'm a drunken doctor absolutely crazy in game and I've got to drink with Lord British, fallen to my death with Gabriel Night Shadow, made coffins out of *hic* endless books WITH A COMMUNITY who shared all their items! Even instore items! Had endless kisses from women which always makes me faint and drinking with my buddies at Wody's Bar whilst listening to stories of other avatars.

THESE are *tries to find you and point at you* PRICELESS experiences. Not pledges, Not add-on store items, not houses or titles.

You can have everything in the world and still be miserable. That's why I satisfy myself with alcohol and the company of avatars high born or low!

*giggles like a girl* I just got so personal. Look what you made me do Nemo *hugs you*

If it helps, this is how I take Shroud of the Avatar...

It's like a FINE BEER.... may be judged with only ONE sip, but it's so so so much better to be thoroughly sure. Because you have to look at the game as a whole, not just it's flaws.

*Raises a mug to you Nemo and everyone else in this forum*

I....the doctor sincerely wish all kind and ha...ha...happy things to ha...ha...happen to you! Just know I'm always open to have a drink with you! Your liver is safe with me!

yours truly, *chuckles* *hic*

Doctor Shroud

Luca Xante, Mac R, 4EverLost and 11 others like this.
  6. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

We have some one who is realy unhappy, and dissapointed. Than we have guys they try to understand wy, cous the realy like the game.
    Wouldnt it be cool that some one who lost the faith in somthing, and be realy mad about it, to show, hey maby not every thing is bad as it looks like.
    Trolling is missused so often latly. I know there are peaple out there who try to provoke only to provoke.

But so far i think threads like that are importent. Its allways importent how we impress our fealings over our writing style.
    For me its often hard to find the right words, cous iam not nativ english iam from austria so my common tong would be german.
    In one of my posts i used a word (wich when i talk with frinds wouldnt be that bad to use) but got messaged maby i would change it.

We all here stand behind the game, we see the flaws, we see the weakpoints, we are not blind, but we allsow understand how game development works.
    We support the game and each of us does it on a unic way. Some try to find bugs, report them give feed back what they like and what they dont like.
    Others make great events to grow the community. We have a lot of great pearsons who try to manage and get every body connected. No mather wich time zone or country of this world they are from.

Every one of us has a unic few what we want this game to be and thats fine, but that said like in reallife nothing is perfect.

I allways try and thest things out. I created the Memorial Graveyard to show the devs how even stuff like that can be importent to so many peaple and what we willing to creat if they give us the right tools to do it.
    I am not mad that i cant creat somthing when the game is comming out (i dont have money for 13 lots and or gold to pay the taxes). This is part of the game, we have now so many freedome to compare what we can do later on.

If this game doesnt have the featurs some one is wanting, well there are out other games. Saying somthing like that will catch up by the reader most of the time negativ.
    But i dont mean it that way. Somtimes even you are a fan of somthing, we need to take it as given that things change. We like it and enjoy, or we are going to the next thing.

For me Shroud of the Avatar, is a Sandbox Rollplaying game in a massiv selectiv OpenWorld.
    For me Rollplaying means when i enter the world of novia that i become Edward Newgate.
    I have in mind how i want to play him his motivations, his personality ect.

Nowerdays we have lot of games who claims they are rollplaying games, wich didnt deserv a titel like that. They are most of the time fantasy grinders.

I realy will enjoy the hell out of this game and i realy hope the creater of this thread and all the others who are unhappy will come back later and see how great this game has become.

Instead of complaining all the time about the game, we all should make abig thx to the devs and tell them what we realy like.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

@Edward Newgate
    I am not sure you picked the right person for that lecture.
    But since you singled me out for an unknown reason i am going to answer to it anyway:

Yes. You are right. Didn't think or say otherwise.

Edit:
    Interessting. Seems like one has to be careful what he/she says in this forum of late.
    Disturbing development.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  8. Curt

Curt Avatar

The fact that physical rewards like signed items is removed is good news it shows we is getting closer.
    Some of the digital rewards in Patron, Navigator and Developer i think they should keep but move to the higher existing pledge.
    like Novia Map Atlas as a example

Ice Queen likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hey I think he wants the frigate. I don't happen to have one. Well hopefully we'll have wonderful waterways one day. ;)

10. rustyblades

rustyblades Avatar

Eww... I hope they aren't kicking this crap game out of the door anytime soon - it needs a few more half dozen months in the "game play" and "graphics" cooker. As for phasing out pledge levels I am surprise it lasted this long - most kickstarters phase out all of them and if they still want funding release reduced feature set and newly named pledge levels as to not cause confusion post KS. So I can see some angst against SoTA for not phasing them all out and releasing some lesser differently named packages.

11. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Regarding removal of physical rewards, let's recognize that at some point RG, Starr and maybe Chris put themselves at physical risk of carpal tunnel syndrome if not outright amputation of a limb by having to sign so many items. So discontinuing some items may be desirous from that standpoint.

Kidding, sort of. You know this factored into the decision.

#savethedevs

12. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Well to be honest I am surprised it took this long for pledge rewards to start expiring. There has been more than enough time for those interested in higher pledges (and items) to make the adjustments to them. I really see no problem with this at all.

If you really feel you want the upgrade but need more time, start a payment plan here or on Paypal.

I'm not sure why it's so surprising that a game company creates and ends promotions to build excitement and, in this case, create a demand for things that are going away. New things will arrive, there are more episodes to make - It's a good thing.

13. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Hey, how did I get roped into signing stuff! :p Hehe... yah, I'm sure I'll have some stuff to sign but poor Richard has to sign something like 16000 items. He said he's done it before! We'll definitely stream at least a few hours of Richard signing stuff when the time comes!

14. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

Are the physical goods actually going away or are they just not going to be signed after 8/31?

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

All pledges at or above Patron level prior to August 31, 2015 will continue to receive all of the expired rewards at or below their pledge level as they upgrade.

Signed Physical Goods (Patron pledge and above)

Any current pledge less than Patron that upgrades after August 31, 2015 will not receive any signed physical goods pledge rewards (regardless of Era: Royal Founders, Founders, and Benefactors). This includes:

• Richard Garriott’s “The Story of Mondain in the World of Sosaria” (Patron+ pledges)
    • Richard Garriott’s Akallabeth D&D Campaign (Patron+ pledges)
    • Cloth map signed by Richard Garriott (Navigator+ pledges)
    • “Tinkerer” Certificate, signed by Richard Garriott (Developer+ pledges)
    • Village Property Deed signed by Richard Garriott (Citizen, Edlemann, Knight pledges)
    • Blade of the Avatar novel signed by Richard Garriott and Tracy Hickman (Edlelmann+ pledges)
    • Town Property Deed signed by Richard Garriott (Knight Marshal, Lord, Lord Marshal pledges)
    • City Property Deed signed by Richard Garriott (Baron 1,2,3 pledges)
    • Keep Property Deed signed by Richard Garriott (Duke pledge)
    • Castle Property Deed signed by Richard Garriott (Lord of the Manor 1 & 2 pledges)
    • (Note: The signed Akalabeth Cassette Cover will remain in the LotM 2 pledge rewards)
    All pledges at or above Patron level prior to August 31, 2015 will continue to receive all of the signed physical goods at or below their pledge level as they upgrade.

Home and Basement Stacking (Ancestor pledge and above)

Currently, any pledge that includes property receives the home and basement for that pledge PLUS all the homes and basements from the previous pledges. After August 31, 2015 any pledge below Ancestor that upgrades will only receive the home(s) and single basement available to the pledge they upgrade to (actual reward will vary by era). For instance the Lord (Founder era) pledge currently includes 16 homes (see list below), after August 31st, the Lord (Founder era) pledge will only include 2 homes. All pledges at or above Ancestor level prior to August 31, 2015 will continue to receive all the homes and basements included at or below their pledge level as they upgrade. As a reminder, here is a list of all the rewards that currently stack, but no longer will after August 31st:

• Ancestor: 2-story stone Row house
    • Navigator: 3-story stone Row house; 1-Story Row Basement (plus all those above)
    • Developer: 4-story stone Row house; 2-Story Row Basement (plus all those above)
    • Citizen: Shingle Roof Village Home (+ Waterfront Cabana for Founder/Royal Founder); 1-Story Village Stone Basement (plus all those above)
    • Edelmann: German-style Village Home (+ German-style Waterfront Cabana for Founder/Royal Founder); (plus all those above)
    • Knight: Keep Village Home (+ Waterfront Lighthouse for Founder/Royal Founder); 2-Story Village Stone Basement (plus all those above)
    • Knight Marshal: Tower Keep Town Home; ; 2-Story Town Stone Basement (plus all those above)
    • Lord: Lord’s Town Home (+ Waterfront Houseboat for Founder/Royal Founder); 3-Story Town Stone Basement & 5-Story Row Basement (plus all those above)
    • Lord Marshal: Great Hall Town Home: 5-Story Town Stone Basement & 2-Story Village Stone Basement (plus all those above)
    • Baron 1: Baron’s City Home (+ Waterfront Frigate for Founder/Royal Founder); 2-Story City Stone Basement (plus all those above)
    • Baron 2/3: Baron’s City Home (+ Waterfront Galleon for Founder/Royal Founder); 2-Story City Stone Basement (plus all those above)
    • Duke: Duke’s Home (+ Waterfront Island Castle); 2-Story Keep Stone Basement (plus all those above)
    • Lord of the Manor: LotM City-sized Home (+ Waterfront, Grand Island Castle with Keeps); 2-Story Castle Stone Basement (plus all those above)
    Double Lots (Lord pledge and above)

Currently Lord and above pledges include a second smaller lot deed and corresponding basement. After August 31, 2015 any pledge below Lord that upgrades will only receive a single lot deed and basement. All pledges at or above Lord level prior to August 31, 2015 will continue to receive both lots and both basements. Expiring items include:

• Lord: Rent Free Row Lot Deed & 5-Story Row Basement
    • Lord Marshal: Rent Free Village Lot Deed & 2-Story Village Stone Basement
    • Baron 3: Rent Free Village Lot Deed
    • Duke: Rent Free Village Lot Deed
    • Lord of the Manor: Rent Free Town Lot Deed
    To try and help summarize this information, here is a table that shows the home, basement, and lot changes for all Founder Era pledges that will be affected:

[​IMG]

In case you didnt see the document. I underlined the comments about your question.:)

16. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

hehe... He's allowed a Union break every 4 hour, so let him stretch his legs before you crack the whip at him... hehe...

Duchess Wyldemane likes this.
  17. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

I still hope we get in episode 2 or 3 waterhomes that look like ships but are townlot or village size

18. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

:eek::eek::eek:
    :eek: O :eek:
    :eek: M :eek:

:eek: G :eek:
    :eek: ! :eek:
    :eek::eek:

19. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

If he would need 1 second for each sig, he would be done in 4 hours. Since he has to take the item signe it move it away, i would guess he would need 3 seconds.
    He would need 13 Hours plus. This would be than some about 1 hour plus each day for a weak. But man :) the man is pation! Go chris you can do it to!

20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

When I get mine, I will personally authenticate it to make sure that signature matches the other signatures I have of Richard from the 2014 Duke+ meetings... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.