1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q4 2016 Schedule Update

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

IMO this goes against the vision of the game pushing it to more of an enabling hand holding game. "Make your own path" - lol. How about "Hey, you new? Here, let me give you armor, gold and if you come with me we will get you leveled up in no time!"

2. Acaelus Fireharp

Acaelus Fireharp Avatar

@DarkStarr As the leader of one of the three Pax guilds, this is particularly interesting. Will allied guilds have their own "alliance" social channel for in game text chat?

Gaelis, DeSade and Senash Kasigal like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Really looking forward to this. Seems like a step in the right direction.

Mac R, Black Tortoise and Sir Cabirus like this.
  4. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

Except crafters who are forced into combat. As a dedicated crafter my playtime is around 90% combat, and with increased spawn rates, that is probably going to go up. Why do y'all hate crafters so much?

5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Instead of a new player guild, they should just turn on zone chat by default. I know it is well intended by really good people, but seriously it is a very bad idea. Stop it before it starts please.

6. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

dear god yeeeeeeees!

Moiseyev Trueden and Solazur like this.
  7. Talewin

Talewin Avatar

what do you propose. is done for crafters?

if you give them a zone with no combat to gather resources. thats unchecked income and would be very bad for the economy.

you could make the zone be a much slower respawn rate on gathering nodes. but would it be worth it for a Gm gatherer to them be standing around nodes to respawn?

you can be a dedicated crafter with no combat just buy all you mats.

what you just can't be is a gatherer. which requires exploring and combat.

Robros Reh and 4EverLost like this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Will the unique NPCs for each city just get a special outfit or will their faces be redone, too so that they look different from each other?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  9. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

No it won't. Combatants have unchecked income by having zones where they get to kill creatures that drop gold, and that isn't very bad for the economy. It's not hard to adjust the NPC buy value of gathered resources down, if you want to lower the amount of gold coming into the system.

Buy with what? gold?

There's no good reason gathering needs to involve combat. Not that gathering+combat shouldn't be a viable activity as well. Obviously, for field dressing, it's likely some combat is going to be required.

Gathering is currently done by doing combat (most of the time) and gathering (a little bit of the time). This activity is a gold faucet of X amount of gold per hour. There's no reason why an activity of just gathering has to be a gold faucet of any more than X amount of gold per hour.

Gathering is an activity just like combat is an activity. The (very) different mechanics around them allow for a more diverse set of experiences to be had by the player-base. Forcing combat onto gathering only serves to limit the experiential diversity in the game.

I propose gathering-focused scenes that have zero (or very few, but low-level) aggressive creatures in them. The scene could even be gated by quests that require the crafter to produce some amount of items for the 'inhabitants' of the scene in order to craft there.

I played UO for years without killing anything more significant that a mongbat (man I miss mongbats). It was a wonderful feeling being able to weave my story into so many others' while maintaining a craftsman's life. It would be nice to get that feeling back.

[​IMG]

10. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

derp, i thought this was an R34 thing, and i just did a tower run today and was like "wtf loot?!" glad to hear this scene is getting some focus! its really cool and has so much potential.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What's the difference between Coral Cove and this maybe-coming-sometime Buccaneer's Den?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Black Tortoise likes this.
  12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Certainly not the amount of spandex.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

The Outlander Guild is just an indirect way to put a global chat in, by making global chat a guild chat. In case anyone didn't pick that up.

Why even have Hospitallers anymore? People who want to help new players will join the Outlander guild, making Hospitallers useless. Not only will it mean a spam for new player, but will also make it more likely new users will no longer have face-to-face interaction with other players to get them introduced, like we saw with the Hospitallers. No more people going into Soltown and other starter areas to greet new players. Also, more reason to stay in SPO, and stay out of OPO, since you can use guild chat in SPO/FPO.

14. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I had a lot in Coral Cove for about a month and bounced because no one else moved in... I might move back since Starr said all the PRTs are getting custom unclones at some point. There are at present two PVP player run towns in game and a whole mess of PVP POTs. My sense is that this Bucc-ish Den that's coming to SotA is going to get plopped down inside Coral Cove.... but will have to wait and see. :) Seems like everything PVP is real hush hush at the moment.

Vrunk Hrrk and Black Tortoise like this.
  15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This is true. I believe the Hospitallers movement is valuable and beautiful thing. I just cannot get over how bad an idea this guild thing is. I already knew it was about the global chat workaround, but zone chat should be good enough. It is a forgone conclusion that this guild is going to be a cesspool for the less positively motivated. When people want to find customers to sell gold to, do RMT transactions and even when they get upset with the game and want to rant, that guild is going to be the center of it all. It does not take much to realize that is true.

16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

can other in the community make requests for similar wants? I would like to have a feature title also. Where do we submit requests?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  17. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

LOL....really? It costs me 600gold to buy 100 chunks of coal. Where does that money come from. Buying mats?....2000 gold for 100 iron at the very cheapest. Where does that money come from. I need thousands of bars of iron, where's that money suppose to come from?

Crafters should NOT have to adventure to get mats, it's that simple. As it is now crafters are a subset to adventurers.

18. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I would just like to recommend that starting by the docks be one of those start points.

Alley Oop and Venusian like this.
  19. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

If it isn't then people are going to flip their ****.

V/R Brickbat

20. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

I have to agree with @Brickbat. There are certainly others, who are not "Hospitallers" that help new players. @DarkStarr, in my opinion, if the "Hospitallers" are feeding you a line that they need a guild for new players so that they can "help" them they are doing you, and this game, a disservice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.