1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Q4 Schedule

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Margard

Margard Avatar

I would hope that the scene be a feat to accomplish / thus be open / not instanced ... with the caveat that a single player could sneak pass but a small party would meet certain doom.

I guess what would seem as more compelling content is simply that it would take a large coordinated assault to overtake the path - it would encourage - game wide cooperation - and not scalable ... and that NPC's need not increase in quantity but in strength with much more cunning strategy (assaulting waves)

Additionally - if instancing is to be utilized why not use it as a way to "segment" key objectives -

Say if there is a funnel (which is the joke point) but 2 side objectives have to be completed in unison to "clear" the path - such as 2 side towers on parallel ridges that control mechanisms in some fashion to impede or ease progress

The reason why I would prefer it this way simply that it would seem to be more of an ebb and flow type of conflict that is ever present in the world ... it would make the path "real" and not a raid (in the gaming sense)

I would hope that the clearing of the path would be a memorable and game world renowned event with noticeable in game impact ...

just my 2 cents

2. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Excitement! Looking forward to what the devs (and players!) come up with this quarter - and I imagine steam exposure will push us past that looming 5M mark :)

3. Spero Gottskraft

Spero Gottskraft Avatar

Great Update,

I like the idea of an open scene, it goes in line with the theme Lord British continues to promote, more player control. As the first controllable scene, it's a great thing to keep it open. As things develop having PvP controllable scenes will also increase use. I like the idea of just jumping into a fight, meet some people, kill some elves, and share a virtual brew afterwards with new friends.

Looking forward to the releases, and happy to be a part of the development. R10 was some great work, and I'm excited to see what you guys develop next.

Rock on!

4. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

Incredible amount of great work there! (and upcoming!) :D

Regarding Vertas Pass - while I think an open scene makes the most sense, immediately I see an issue of how you will manage high volume player traffic (e.g., a limit to players for the map? Or players get in a queue; some people dislike queues).

I'd suggest that players could choose to go to the open mode or the instance mode. If there's some global change as a result of player actions, maybe you could aggregate the results of all open + instance outcomes and apply from there.

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Do you ever make bad suggestions? No, you don't. Another great idea.

6. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I'm sure you know about this website but if you don't https://crowdin.com/ is very popular with various projects to get stuff easily and quickly translated via crowdsourcing.

7. smack

smack Avatar

Oh indeed! Well I say, it would be absolutely spiffing to have this game translated to Posh English. :p

I think Lord British would approve. :rolleyes:

Jolly well and cheerioh my good gentleman!

8. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

*sarcasm*
    Henceforth let it be known that such a descriptive term as 'posh' is a falsehood, that is proper English, that is.
    It is not for plebeians. Only true peers of at least lords and above.

9. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

That was just a silly list of improbable examples :)

Anyway I'm happy they are following inXile's example (details on Wastelands 2 crowdsourced localisation are here: http://wastelandrpg.tumblr.com/post/86216188451/crowdsourcing-localization-next-steps).

10. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

This are very good news. Thank you :)

11. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Thanks Starr! So I will keep aiming for that ultimate pledge level then (ahhh... <accent="scottish">I need moooorrrreee monneeyyy!!!</accent>)... I hope you'll announce it with plenty of time to spare for us to be able to respond!
    (Any chance of some nice offers in the near future? :p)

12. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Yes, I agree... Let the experience points gain us points to use in the skill trees, and base 'levelling' off of that...

13. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Another idea would be, instead of summoning a Liche, that the Necromancer temporarily turns into a Liche, greatly enhancing their Strength and Death Magic abilities, including summoning more skeletons using Animate Dead. In-game Liches would just be necromancers who found a way to make this condition permanent.

A necromancer's ultimate goal is not to "summon a lich", it is to defeat death and become a lich.

14. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

That's how liches are usually portrayed in both new and old fiction--as powerful humans who use a kind of sorcery to make themselves immortal, living even as their bodies waste away. In many modern PnP and video games, liches are usually bound to a small device (commonly called a phylactery) which contains their life essence or soul. This is mostly a mechanism designed to make it possible to kill a lich, since, you know--immortal and all. Liches in fiction and legend usually can't be defeated at all, except maybe by a particular hero or a unique weapon.

15. smack

smack Avatar

Great update, Starr! Now a few questions:

Will the Steam Prep include all platforms (Windows, Mac and Linux)?
    Will there be any cap on advancement?
    Will the new conversation mode "lock" the player in place such that he can't move the camera or move his avatar until he exits from the conversation?

Are you going to move the ability to respec to the Skill Trainers or can we still right-click on the skill tree?
    Will the banks have some cap on inventory limit (number or weight)?

Will you solve the nameplate issue by then? It would be silly to go stealth yet have your nameplate appear for everyone to see where you are.

Also, did we drop the quarterly polish release? It wasn't clear if R13 was a polish release.

16. Silvanus

Silvanus Avatar

Just a suggestion, but a heads up in the email notification for release testing stating that the release has the potential for persistence would be really nice. I'm not normally in a great rush to claim a lot - decorating isn't high on my list of things to do, while exploring, designing decks, and learning how best to use the arcane arts are high priority. If I know that I need to find my forever home site , that will certainly be the first order of business.

17. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

You may not have said so directly, but the monthly payment calculator indicates February 2015.

18. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I haven't had the time to spend on hangouts/the forums so this might have already been discussed/known.

My thoughts on random encounters:

1. very minimal chance you'll run into one if you are on a road (like .5% chance).
    2. Much higher chance in dangerous areas (near dungeons/special areas) like 10-20% chance.
    3. Some places should be 100% random encounter the first time you step foot on that hex. (special places, could be story related, could be a side story, could be a challenge to get through to "gate" areas)
    4. Under normal circumstances, hills, forest, plain regular hexes should have fairly low chance, like 2-5%
    5. Special events, certain times could have much higher rates of encounters(especially of normally rare encounters), or no random encounters possible.
    6. I'd like some items/encounters to only be available via random encounter. Example: road way encounter leads to a merchant you can rescue and he has special items for sale. Another would be a very rare creature you can tame.

Thanks.

19. Lord Ruinsor Rubble

Lord Ruinsor Rubble Avatar

When is the scheduled final release for SoTA? I want to know if there will be complete instructions on how to play the game. Also, will there be a complete map of all towns, cities, and dungeons? I just would like to see all this information on gameplay and map condensed into one section. That is my number one discouragement as why I do not play much. I really would like to know how much time I have before I need to worry about placing a house. Having a map and a section on pros and cons of living in certain areas would be helpful. I hope I posted this question in the right forum.

20. Sirius Sternwarte

Sirius Sternwarte Avatar

I know that since this post Lum has clarified that the chance of a wipe is pretty good, as expected. I do want to echo jiirc and others' comments that any gains made now in an incomplete system could be very harmful to the game economy if retained after a wipe. Any players who had chosen to amass large quantiities of items/gold that would later become more difficult to acquire after a "soft wipe" could potentially be a big cause of unnecessary inflation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.