1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 33 Lot Deed Raffle Winners

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jutman

jutman Avatar

Seems a lot of people that won lots in this raffle are looking to trade them for tax free lot deeds... Meaning tax free lot deeds are still a good currency and increase in value by adding taxable lot deeds. Hold onto to those puppies tight!

Lord Baldrith, Joker2, Bom and 3 others like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That's pretty wishful to think of trading a taxed deed for a tax-free deed. :rolleyes:

Resolute and 4EverLost like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Congratulations everyone. Yay I am so happy for you. And as to comments reading this thread, I of course can't see the big picture, and if you know me I am not a doom-sayer at all. I have never, ever thought that a game with housing should not just have it available in some way. If this is going to add housing to a market so new people have a chance to earn it or buy it or are given it, whatever, and allow those who bought to help others to do this, then this is good and time will tell.

As with every change in this game that happens in regards of course there could be greed and there is also heart and soul. Basically I have seen more heart and soul than greed, a purpose or a plan being formulated. Giving importance to player own towns in the game is not a bad thing, since we do have them. Not everyone wanted them and I was one who couldn't see the big picture in that. I do now and I have a lot more insight now to see the good they do as well. They give communities of players a place to live, and they also give community of players an opportunity to create and role-play and theme a whole town if they want , which is fantastic in so many, many ways.

Certain types of housing will still be very valuable and our game can have housing options for any who come to play. I can't see this as a bad thing, just a game taking care of their player base, and making housing opportunities available. What we do with that opportunity is in our court.

Now next is very important that we do make the options for those who don't want to deco or do house stuff but still need a chest to place. They may perhaps be a true vagabond or wanderer. They may choose to live day to day in an inn, make a campfire for the night etc,. Then that will truly make it a game with a heart and soul. And also very important that we do connect the towns in some way such as the bulletin board idea to post what's going on around the world and connect it, who has what and who is wanted and who needs what etc.

4. jutman

jutman Avatar

Well for example it was just a taxed deed for a tax free. It was like 3 taxed row lots for a tax free village. Or 2 taxed village for a tax free village. Wasn't a 1:1 ratio usually. Point being. Tax free is the place to be!

5. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

6. RobotBeginner

RobotBeginner Avatar

For what I know, the one who won 79 lot deeds which worth 19k dollars is the one who want to build a POT which is going to give out all the lot deeds to other players for free to live in.

Look at this Post:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-squander-3-million-gold.63684/

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    Gaelis, Elwyn and Lord Barugon like this.
  7. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

No, you can keep them :).

8. Lao Tzu

Lao Tzu Avatar

I'm also curious how many raffle tickets were sold of each type. I had 18 POT raffle tickets and won zero lot deeds. I'm just trying to figure out what the actual odds of getting 0 out 18. According to the forums, there were 2600 POT tickets sold a couple days ago, giving 18 raffle tickets a 99% chance of winning at least one lot deed. There would have to be 5000 tickets sold for a 90% chance, 8000 tickets for 75% chance, and almost 16,000 tickets sold for a 50% chance. Any information would be helpful.

- Lao Tzu

9. reuge

reuge Avatar

Wow! Savior to the winners.

10. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Almost mirror image of me - I bought two place anywhere and one pot ticket, and won one place anywhere lot. :)

Congratulations to all who won, and good luck to anyone taking part in the future lotteries.

11. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

If the person who won 79 tickets played 3M coins (they may have upped the amount) and won the "expected" number for their investment, then there were around 4500 tickets sold.

Based on that the odds of you losing the draw for all 600 deeds (not counting tickets removed, which would certainly affect things - but I don't feel like combinatorics atm on my phone and light on paper) the odds would be around 7.6% you would have lost all 18 draws.

Elwyn likes this.
  12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Also a guild of people.. We did 55 with just 2 of us that started that month.. if i tried we could do 100-150 this month i bet with 2-3 of us without it being that hard.
    I think it was a solid chunk of people that were mostly decent level pledgers who did that (least the ones i see on forums are clearly very active) So that many wins is completly realistic. Glad they did well.
    Just takes a little time / co operation and skill.

Fix the crit bug!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  13. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

According to those numbers, 3 mio gold which has recently been trading for about $2000 yielded lot deeds that were sold for about $20000 to trusting people who spent real money in the add on store and Kickstarter campaigns to finance the game.

I think everyone who put real money into this game has just been shown the finger.

14. Valdor

Valdor Avatar

This is why I sold my taxable deeds before the lottery. Supply and demand. The market has been flooded with supply, which will drive down resale prices. This is probably a good thing for Port as it will get taxable property into the hands of more people. If you want property, and most (but not all) people do, then it will now be much easier to obtain. And the more property in the system, the more taxes being paid. The only smart way to pay taxes is through COTO, regardless of how you obtain them. That ultimately drives COTO sales, which is one of the long term ways Port appears intent on funding the game.

That being said, I don't think this hurt kickstarter pledges. Those deeds are place anywhere and tax free. At the moment it appears that supply is fixed and over time slowly diminishing (some people will abandon the game without selling). New tax free deeds are only in the bundles and only POT. The place anywhere deeds will likely go up in value, especially if more people come into the game and they become increasingly rare.

My thoughts on the matter at least.

15. reuge

reuge Avatar

I agree. Anyway that will keep the game profitable is a good thing. Pledgers are good to help make this game happen. To continue being viable, the game has to make money, so that we can have our free game, fun and community.

Melissa and Valdor like this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I don't feel insulted... But then I've never had a profit motive.

Lord Baldrith, Womby, Spoon and 9 others like this.
  17. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

I think some people here don't fully get it what happened:

First land deeds were sold for $85-$1050 per deed to trusting people via the website store.

Then hundreds of those same deeds have been distributed for gold in game for a tenth of that price in gold/tickets, a good junk going to resellers and gold farmers.

The immediate result of this will be:
    1. The market will now get flooded with cheap lot deeds and anyone who spent hundreds of dollars on a deed from the store and needs to sell it won't be able to do so for even a fraction of what he paid. His investment has been devalued now.
    2. There is no reason for anyone to buy taxable lot deeds from Portalarium for a long time, as long as all those cheap lot deeds from the auction are circulating in the second hand market now

Instead of rewarding player activity that benefits the game or the community, such as rewarding people for organizing events, winning PvP tournaments or any other meaningful gameplay, the rewarded/encouraged activity was (gold) farming.

When way too few raffle tickets sold, Portalarium could at least have provided a bit of transparency and publish how many tickets were sold. This did not happen.

Sure, you can say that now that the upfront development of the game has been funded through selling expensive deeds it is cool to just give deeds away for free so that more people pay tax/rent. There is also another word for this: "bait and switch". Selling something for a lot of real money to then soon after turn around and devalue it by flooding the game with more of it at a fraction of the price tag is highly unethical. It also badly and irrepairably damages the game and the reputation of the game. Because a lot of people (specifically: those who can still think for themselves and are not braindead fanboys) who spent money to buy those lot deeds might well feel screwed now. We don't know how many will think twice now about making another purchase from the add-on store. Most of those might just quietly stop spending or quietly walk away. Others you might find posting their opinions on Steam and other game forums.

This whole raffle crap has been a complete desaster for the game as a whole, even though I congratulate the lucky winners.

Melissa, Budner, E n v y and 2 others like this.
  18. jutman

jutman Avatar

I love it how you say a good junk but I think you meant to say chunk going to resellers.....when if you look at the bottom of your own post.....what do we see. Oh buying and selling pledges.... hmmm reseller calling another reseller a reseller... a tad bit hypocritical don't you think?

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

We don't need another hero. Sorry, my nostalgia is gone. Sorry Richard.

20. Valdor

Valdor Avatar

You certainly have a point. The impact is not as great on the Taxable Place Anywhere deeds. There were 1250 total deeds sold through the Add-on store and Port gave away 75. Over time that will grow. The POT deeds, however... 336 deeds were sold through the Add-on store and port gave away 600 - almost double what was in circulation. Look at the Town and City deeds: Town, 2 sold in the add-on store and 80 given away. City, 5 sold through the add-on store and 40 given away. That stings the people who bought those deeds through the add-on store.

However, I bet a good percentage of the POT sales went to the POT owners. In general, with the exception of a handful of POTs, people have stayed away from them. I think a good portion of the POT owners welcome the new deeds in hopes it will encourage players to move in. Which I think will happen with the next release when we can finally get away from the crappy zone in locations.

Your point is understood. However, for those paying attention, and care about such things, there was ample warning to make the necessary moves. Many of the rest probably aren't interested in reselling anyway - they're just playing the game.

Just my opinion. The truth is sometimes in between.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Melissa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.