Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Request: Choice to remove PVP Protection at character creation

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Actually your wrong, i'm looking for a natural game where players make their own decisions and face the consequences of their choices. If through natural play some of your list occurs then im ok with that.....that's what players have chosen to do. What I don't want is hand holding by creating fake environments of players.

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

The whole environment is fake already, you're drawing a line in a specific spot so that you can get the benefit you desire...easy kills. There may be more too it than that, but at the end of the day that's what you're defending, it all comes back to that.

And I don't mind having easy kills, I just think you as a player should be manufacturing those kills by playing by a standard set of rules. Ya see, what you're doing is saying "come man, let's go play football!" but you're talking to a team of 6 year old's. Yes, you're still playing football, but no that's a really bad way to play the game. Even if you may enjoy that, the 6 year olds are really not going to enjoy a 40 year old man running about scoring non-stop goals.

I mean if you can't understand that, then what are talking about here? Your right to play sports against toddlers?

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Sorry, at what point is my interest only in easy kills?

My interest is in PvP in general, and a system that is good that will appeal to many who don't even log onto this forum. What I don't want is PvP created in a bubble based upon PvM mentality.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

It sounds like he's defending role-playing a bully, which is a legitimate type of role-playing. ;>

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

What will keep all groups happy (or happier) is levels mattering LESS for pvp, which is exactly what they are trying to do. Anybody that actually engaged in PVP over the last 3 months would have noticed that being 30 or 40 levels higher than somebody only gave you a real edge if they were the first 30 or 40 levels. At the high end it made very little difference at all. The restriction on passives was supposed to take that a step further but it did not work out that way (which is why that is getting removed to try something else). The idea being that if you chose to keep levelling because you enjoy it (which is why many of us do it despite some peoples claims that it is to gain pvp superpowers) then you will gain a very slight advantage in the way of deck choices and small stat differences rather than an insurmountable combat advantage over people who are frankly too lazy to spend a few hours levelling a day (doing 2 noob quests gets you to level 15, an hour grind after gets you to 30.. its not that hard unless you want to exceed level 70).

6. Drocis the Devious

All your arguments go back to it. You have a history here. I'm sure you don't mind a challenge once in a while, but you certainly don't want have a plan to be on the losing end of many fights - and higher levels are what allow that plan to exist.

How is fighting in a fair fight anything but good pvp? When I say "fair" I'm talking about a system where everyone has a chance of winning, not a system where everyone wins. There's a big difference.

7. Drocis the Devious

You shouldn't need levels to be bully. Roleplaying has nothing to do with levels. I defend anyone's right to roleplay a bully (within the TOS).

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

And Envy attacks EVERYBODY, there is no variable at all with him.. if you encounter him friend, neutral or enemy, he is going to try and kill you. I actually prefer that to people that make excuses as to why they are trying to kill me.

9. Drocis the Devious

Here's what I don't understand. If leveling isn't a big deal, then why not let people that don't like the grind just skip that part? Then no one will have anything to complain about. People that like to grind can do that. People that don't like to grind don't have to.

It would seem we'd have no problem at all.

10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Because you didn't earn it.

11. Drocis the Devious

I don't have a problem with Envy. I have a problem with Envy's logic. His prerequisite for good pvp is that everyone has to grind levels so there is a gap between him and other people that can't win by default.

All I'm saying is lets close that default gap. There will still be plenty of other parts of the game that will give people advantages over other players and new players. Levels doesn't have to be one of them. It's just the easiest one to dominate and exploit because it's inherently boring and requires the most time.

12. Drocis the Devious

If it requires me to stand in a tower all day killing the same dark elves for weeks at a time, I don't want to earn it.

I never played WoW or EQ. Not one second.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

If what you're saying is that experience shouldn't give you an artificial, overwhelming advantage over non-experienced players, then I agree with you.

But I still think some skill acquisition system is appropriate, whether it be done through leveling or not. Through play, should be done through in game discovery and training. As a wizard role-player, you should appreciate the idea of finding and learning new spells and magical objects. With leveling, ideally, the main difference between a low-level player and a high-level player would be that the high-level player has acquired more skills to apply in combat.

I'm more skeptical about passive/innate skills, and have always been, although its difficult to get around them.

14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

You know the most exciting PvP experience in this game was when myself and a guild mate ran at around 10 players (in video) and engaged in combat. We both knew we had no real chance of winning, that we would die........but we did it anyway because THAT is a true PvP mentality; a fight regardless of odds........we walked away from that laughing on vent with our heads held high as we had killed 2 of them despite the odds.

Yes youl see me spawn camp at times, rez kill, do whatever I can to gain an advantage.......but during those times; where was that "anti-pk" community I was hearing so much about?.......oh yes probably duelling each-other in a bubble of a fair fight. The only people I ever really came across trying to protect some of those players was Themo and his guild mates.

Fair fights are just a small slice of the PvP cake; it isn't the whole thing.

15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

So explore and kill stuff while you do, complete some quests..do something .. do anything. It is so hard to play and not accidentaly hit level 30 that it should be a steam achievement.

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Why are we trying to turn a story based game into a pvp centric game? I like pvp but why should they change a whole format to skip levels for one subset? I say no thanks.

17. redfish

redfish Avatar

Drocis, what are you going to do about the fact that people have to grind to get reagents, magic staves, and other things that give them an advantage over other players? Do people get free gear, free money, and free reagents too, to save them the effort of grinding?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  18. Drocis the Devious

Look, I'm so heavily invested in this game financially, I've committed to seeing it through to launch. That doesn't mean I think all is lost. It just means that I can't just drop the mic and walk away on a whim or a down day where I'm not seeing enough progress. What I'm trying to say is that I'm going to be here, and I have no doubt that I can make level 100 if I want to.

But if the combat system is based off being level 100 and that's really determining factor of success in pvp, then to me that's wasted time. I'm not much of an achiever type player, so just seeing levels go up means nothing to me. (which is why I'm still level 5 right now in R17). So as a back up plan, I'll be content to be a merchant that never fights ever. Or I'll be a bard that writes amazing songs about the mighty warriors that killed everyone that just stepped off the turnip kart.

Who knows, maybe you and Envy will have your own song?

I'm not going to parade around the game like I'm something special though if the only thing I've done is kill a bunch of AI. I'm already special, I don't need levels to validate that.

19. Drocis the Devious

If I'm a level 100 pvper, I can go kill other people that are flagged pvp and take their stuff. I don't care if they bought it or grinded it.

20. Drocis the Devious

I'm trying to make pvp interesting and decouple it from levels. This would enhance roleplaying over the current level system. Levels have nothing to do with roleplaying.

What level was Gandalf in the stories? That's right, that's not how you tell a story. Stories are about actions, not statistics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.