Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Shroud of the Avatar: Reset of the Virtues

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Violation Clauth, Sep 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Seems like the Oracle was using the /stats command as well....
    :p

My opinion:
    If you want quality testing then we need to see the data.
    Maybe if you limit it like with Combat Scrum and have a Virtue Scrum team?

Vyrin, Alexander and Fister Magee like this.
  2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Finally, patch notes mention nothing about this happening and neither does the R34 update... https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=63660

Search for the word "Virtue" exclusively reveals information about the virtue cloak:
    [​IMG]

Leostemplar and docdoom77 like this.
  3. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

They fixed a bug. A very small one. Do you want them to include every tiny little bug fix into the patch notes?

4. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I actually do.

5. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Fair enough. As a video game developer I just would like to say be careful what you wish for! XD

KuBaTRiZeS and Fister Magee like this.
  6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

No, but it wasn't a bug... it was the absolute only way I could tell that I wasn't doing anything wrong while gaming... and the Oracle is still not working correctly so now I have nothing. Not tiny for an RP player... I'm casual at best, but I still like RP

docdoom77 likes this.
  7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Also, this has nothing to do with my bug report. Your purpose here is merely to troll or derail, I would appreciate you do not focus on those things as this is persistence and I value this game as a virtue based rpg and everything I do effects me forever now. Downplaying and belittling what I see as important isn't appreciated in the slightest. I'd rather directly inform you of this and hope we can have a healthy bug report process here...

Virtue is bugged OR there is no reliable way to view virtue changes... either way, it's a huge bug for a Lord British game.

8. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

It was a bug, as is implied by...

9. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

I would appreciate you not assuming my purpose it to troll or derail. My purpose was to state that the viewing of virtue scores was never intended as a feature and to inform you that what you are considering broken is actually a fix to a bug. And because not all bugs are included in the patch notes, it is not relevant for you to fault them for not making note of the change in the patch notes/instructions. Were they perfect and made notations of every bug fix, then I could see some of your anger. But at the moment you seem to be lashing out at a developer for quietly fixing a bug.

The Oracle being broken is a fair complaint at this point. The Oracle system is meant to help guide you along your virtues. /stats is not.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So, how do we get the Oracle to give us any information about virtues? Every time I go to the Oracle, she says "visit me again within a week".

Leostemplar likes this.
  11. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Put on your virtue cloak... if it glows red, you're bad. :D

12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Mine keeps cycling through the rainbow and shoots out lightning bolts. Did I do something wrong?

Vyrin, Spoon, Ronan and 3 others like this.
  13. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

Maybe you have a good virtue and a band virtue and a zeus virtue?

Kambrius and LoneStranger like this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What are band and zeus virtues?

LoneStranger likes this.
  15. Lifedragn

Lifedragn Avatar

A typo and a joke!

16. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

Lum! I am shocked to hear I am considered imperfect. My wife thinks I can walk on water and do no wrong. Of course that is only after a trip to the jewelry store. :)

Matt Harris likes this.
  17. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I think Jeff Dunham is behind this oracle.

18. jutman

jutman Avatar

"I must consider my sins"
    Told me just how perfect or not perfect I was in UO a lord British game... Why not have a code like "/virtue" that tells u how naughty or nice u have been? I do have to remain on Santa's nice list. How on earth can I do that if nobody will tell me if I'm being good or not?

Violation Clauth likes this.
  19. Gravidy

Gravidy Avatar

Allowing people to play the game in ways you didn't intend is emergent behavior. You want emergent behavior. In fact, you want a lot of it. Stop setting rules and prohibitions, especially around information. By boxing the game into your single perspective on how it should be played your reducing the overall potential for your player-base to create their own value in the game.

Rada Torment and Sinomin like this.
  20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Again, your comments are, in my opinion, based on feedback and changes and not the bug that I've submitted. My virtue being completely invisible to the Oracle, to myself, and to my Virtue Cloak are, in all effective ways, completely resetting my virtue state as well as others.

@Attenwood said if I visited the oracle I could get that information and I couldn't so I've responded to him and I will wait to hear back from him on what the next plan of attack is. Currently the system is, in my opinion from my exceptionally limited point of view, broken and that's my bug report.

This implies that his system is giving feedback like real life... and it's not. People are not responding how they would in real life. There isn't a judicial system or a supreme court that is ruling on what is right and wrong and publicizing it. There isn't a ordinances list sent down by the King, a court, a senate, or a congress that is available to be read declaring the laws of these lands. There is not an emissary who is greeting or explaining these things either. Hell, there aren't even a proper set of in-game Game Masters to decide on the actions that require bannable offenses so the devs handle that work still!

I simply disagree with Lum on these matters and when I converse through them with him he points the finger at Lord British who, when I talk to him, agrees with me. I've given up on the thought that I will make an impact on that situation and the fact that life does give the option for people to be good... ultimate sacrifice shouldn't be what any game is based on either or you will drive away your customer base and be looking for another job (Lum's remarks about me not stealing in the opening scene were met with a "then don't play the game" which is an ultimate sacrifice moment where you say "I will no longer exist to uphold my convictions"... not the best way to sell copies of your game to fans of the franchises it is the "spiritual" successor to...)

In the Early Release status, I don't expect all things perfect and what is explained above just simply won't exist due to the age of the game and it's current state of design; however, in the persistence state of the game I do expect the ability to make up for the lack of those things by verbose feedback where necessary to augment the missing systems.

And, again, your comments are, in my opinion, based on feedback and changes and not the bug that I've submitted. My virtue being completely invisible to the Oracle, to myself, and to my Virtue Cloak are, in all effective ways, completely resetting my virtue state as well as others.

@Attenwood said if I visited the oracle I could get that information and I couldn't so I've responded to him and I will wait to hear back from him on what the next plan of attack is. Currently the system is, in my opinion from my exceptionally limited point of view, broken and that's my bug report.

If someone can tell me how to find my standings/virtue with a specific NPC, city, the oracle, the continent of Novia, or the world... I would appreciate it. Otherwise I continue to wait! I will take the advice of Lum and simply not play to ensure there isn't another rather crucial bug that works against my virtue unintended... those could easily exist and being unable to track virtue means I cannot bug test it and I cannot give feedback on it.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic here... is the game now finished? Are all the systems in that will be in for tracking virtue? This is one of the only lasting things that we need verbose feedback on because everything else scales evenly across all avatars (how much income people have, how much exp they have, how hard things are, these are all relative sliders that will always be in flux... what the game decides is right and wrong is likely going to be in a sort of flux as the story develops as well; however, the principles won't be... how are we to survive without this knowledge at a persistent state?)

If someone can tell me how to find my standings/virtue with a specific NPC, city, the oracle, the continent of Novia, or the world... I would appreciate it. Otherwise I continue to wait!

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.