1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Single Player Offline: Unique Features

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I didn't want to USE the items, I just wanted to horde them and admire my pretties.

Tahru, majoria70 and docdoom77 like this.
  2. Alfric Jodoc

Alfric Jodoc Avatar

For those with multiple character slots (placeholders for now, but opened up later):
    • Will those character slots be divvied up, like 1 character slot for an offline character, and 2 slots for online characters?
    • Or, will all character slots apply to a single mode (3 character slots, either all online or all offline)?
    • Or, even still, will players have both (3 character slots for online play AND 3 character slots for offline play)?
    Also, I apologize if this question has already been answered (and if it has, could someone share a link to said answer), but will Companion character development be pre-determined, or can the player make selections for the Companions? Say if I get "not-Iolo" as a Companion, and he levels up, could I choose whether "not-Iolo" gets better at Combat or Magic (or Moon magic vs. Sun magic, or Blades vs. Archery, etc.)?

Finally, how will the non-combat pets/horses/beasts of burden/servants work/interact with the offline Companions?

Tahru likes this.
  3. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Page 4 - Character slots are not divided between online/offline modes.
    I recommend skimming the thread for Darkstarr's responses or going to "Dev Tracker" and look for any posts by Darkstarr in this thread over the past few days, you might see something interesting.

Some more useful info for you just on companions:

Tahru, ThurisazSheol and Darth Jodoc like this.
  4. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Character slots for offline and online are independent. So you can have 3 online and 3 offline.

Custom advancement for Companions is not currently in scope for Ep 1.

Tahru, Koldar, fantalio and 5 others like this.
  5. Alfric Jodoc

Alfric Jodoc Avatar

Good to know. I'm so looking forward to this aspect of the game.

Tahru likes this.
  6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Definitely NOT needed Jack, lol ;)

Tahru likes this.
  7. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

You say that now...

Tahru likes this.
  8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

You know what, I take that back Jack. I don't think they have implemented the town drunkard or village idiot yet. Either one would fit PERFECTLY! J/K :p

Tahru and ThurisazSheol like this.
  9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

jack doesn't HAVE a personality, i think he already donated it to another AI somewhere...

does that mean it isn't his to give, anymore?

kind of brings new meaning to the whole backstory of the intro video for the game though.

sorry, scatterbrained today - yes i had three simultaneous responses to this.

*smh*

or maybe i'm just holding conversations with the other me's again.

shut up thuri.

ok.

Tahru and Cordelayne like this.
  10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

A question about item decay.
    It was said that hopefully we will be able to drop items everywhere and move items etc. just as it was the case in Ultima 7. But there will be a decay on dropped items.

What if I drop a quest related item somewhere on the ground? I guess that this will not decay? Or won't we be able to drop quest related items?

Another thing, if we can move for example barrels and crates around in the world I think that they will stay where we moved them or will they revert back to their original place over time?

Miracle Dragon and Tahru like this.
  11. Smurfwizard

Smurfwizard Avatar

I would hope that quest items cannot be dropped or at least warn you before hand.
    If items did not devolve over time can you imagine the huge junk pile in places.

Tahru likes this.
  12. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I just saw this video of Sword Coast Legends and was wondering if we will get such party banter in Single Player offline, too. I think that it would add much to the atmosphere of the game - even if it would only be text.

Also "ingame cutscenes" like the one in the video in which the undead ogre appears would be great, too!

13. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Aw wwww Sanaaaap It's Baldur's Gate 5!~!~!~!~!~! :)

Tahru and smack like this.
  14. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Is that game out yet? I want it. :rolleyes:

Tahru likes this.
  15. Godra

Godra Avatar

So how will pledge rewards react with offline mode? Do we get pledge rewards activated or anything like that in single player offline? Name titles, Founder tables, pets...

NM: I missed an earlier post that answered this question. My bad.

16. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

I was asked to comment here from elsewhere, so I have two questions:

1. How will the game map change between online and offline modes, if at all?

One of my major concerns with the two modes is that MMO maps are typically designed to be large enough to cater for a lot of people at once, so instances don't look crowded, and for Shroud maps are even larger to accommodate housing lots.

If Port is not changing the maps to cut or compress the unnecessary space, how will that space be filled to make it look a valid part of the single player experience rather than a leftover hole from multiplayer mode that had to be plugged with, say, an NPC house?

If this has been answered elsewhere, I'd be obliged if someone could advise. :)

2. When can we expect to see at least a demonstration of single player mode in action?

17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Good question.
    Actually I was hoping for fewer NPCs in single player offline mode so that every NPC does have his home and so that there are less filler-NPCs which are only distracting.

But this would mean that there would be large free spaces where player houses would be.... Maybe those spaces could be filled with other interesting stuff. Something to discover etc.

18. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

Unfortunately Port has to honour the 'Help create an NPC' pledge, which creates an inordinate number of characters. They wouldn't have to be housed though -- or in towns! It would be easy enough to have groups of NPCs in the wilderness in camps, as random encounters like bandits, or camping/fishing/mining/adventuring etc. I don't think trying to cram them all into cities and towns is necessary.

The only downside to filling in those areas with interesting discoveries is that the MMO side might be unhappy they're not seeing the same content -- also, Port would have to create extra content to go in there, which is extra work (not that it wouldn't be nice, of course, but 'extra stuff' usually is ;)).

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  19. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

as far as the overland map.. from my understanding it is just another scene. and unlike most mmo's where they try to cram as many people as possible into the scenes, they are wanting to limit the amount of people in the scenes. - what i find really fun/neat is the events where more people are around than the scene wants to handle. - i'd LOVE for some tech to be created for those running events to 'sign up' for a temp removal of that restriction..but thats just me.

as far as NPC's thats a different issue altogether, as it seems you are already aware. sweet. however, they woudl be seeing the same content - just because the npc is in one version of the scene, doesn't mean that very same npc in a different version of the scene isn't accessing the very same inventory table in the database as all the other instances. fairly simple to do with the db software they are using, that basic tech has been there for a while, they'd nust need to focus on latency of data updates and speed of select queries as the player is looking at the store inventory, for example.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I know what you mean. In the Archaeology quest we grouped up and one group had thier own instance on the overland map.

I was not expecting that, Thank goodness I could whisper to that party leader to have them meet us.

+1 for Event sign up. Just one large event party would work for me.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.