1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Single Player Offline: Unique Features

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Feb 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

for the more social of events, i'd gather having more folks and worrying less about latency, would be preferable. sometimes when latency IS a focus/need (pvp? sports?), maybe the ability to be even more strict may be preferable at times?

2. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Just wanted to jump in and petition for time advancement in single player offline again. Seems like it didn't receive any attention when I asked about it before (long time ago).

Anything we can do to push it to the very top of the wishlist? Please? I shudder at the thought of playing this game without it.

Sir_Hemlock, mikeaw1101, Numa and 3 others like this.
  3. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Yes, sleeping in beds or making camp in order to advance time would be a great and much needed feature for the single player offline part!

4. Mr X

Mr X Avatar

Yes please for sleeping in beds to advance time in offline.

In online I think you should DEFINITELY get a big buff if you log off in a bed or camp-roll (more for a bed vs camp) as this would add another immersive element to the online game.

Numa, Epona, Lord Stein and 4 others like this.
  5. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

Yes! Definitely agree with this.

Also allow players to rent beds (as a post release update perhaps) would be awesome so players can start there own Inns.

Solazur, Numa, Epona and 4 others like this.
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

But please as an overall feature and not SO-only ^^

Numa and Lord Baldrith like this.
  7. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

for online and for multiplayer modes, i disagree. i don't think it should be a thing, in relation to speeding up TIME. that should be a constant for everyone.

i DO think it should be a thing, this way:

change night to day, or day to night for the player in question, but not move TIME itself. when they logout they go to the default day/night cycle again. think of quests that must happen on day or night times. *grin*

logging out sleeping in a bed should give you a short (10 minutes max) 'rested' buff where you regenerate stamina and magic a bit faster, making you be able to cast more (thinking clearly due to lack of combat fatigue) and sprint longer as two examples. if in a camp roll/sleeping bag, half the time instead. - that rest should also remove buffs and debuffs from food/potions/magic, but in doing so the bed(roll) degrades a bit, bed debuffing moreso than bedroll/hammock

doing a force-save of the toon, you know the ones that happen every so often in mmo's behind the scenes. of course with a IF (this same action occured in less than X time), THEN (do not perform it again) script added to it.

for some quests, or storyline elements you must wait till tomorrow to move forward - don't actually force us to wait till tomorrow - let us rest in a bed (not a bedroll) for this function.

@Mr X was right when they said it is more immersive too. :)

for offline singleplayer mode, i agree, let it do whatever with time - that does not affect the living world, just our personal offline shard of it, exactly like a single player RPG. *grin* - like in skyrim when you kill the evil schoolmarm lady at the start of the assassins guild, or in its precurser, oblivion, randomly killing a nonessential NPC and getting away with it to start the assassins guild questline. - for both you had to go to sleep in a safe place, to get visited by the listener (oblivion) or leader of the skyrim chapter of assassins.

heck, for offline singleplayer mode, i'd love to see sleeping also do saves instead of going into a menu to save. i'd sleep instead of saving, for immersion purposes - but some people would prefer the mechanic of going into a menu to save - purposefully breaking the fourth wall. i see no reason to hinder either preference.

Numa and docdoom77 like this.
  8. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

Sleep as a method of time advancement isn't strictly necessary for single player RPGs (many do away with it almost entirely, eg. the Dragon Age games), but it was a staple of the single player Ultimas. For the Ultimas with NPC schedules and 'Come back tomorrow' quests a way to advance time was needed.

9. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I would love to be able to click on a bed and say 'sleep for x many hours' in offline single player (or camp on the map - with a chance of ambush, needing a 'guard/lookout' to prevent)
    In multiplayer everyone's time schedule needs to be in sync though, so camping and sleeping would have to work, but differently. I'm not sure how though..

10. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Hopefully we will get more in depth details on the single player features in the not too distant future. For example more details about the companions, if we can manage their gear, ineventory and skills and how we will control them during combat.

Sir Cabirus, Alexander and docdoom77 like this.
  11. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

@Miracle Dragon instead of a guard - just doesn't seem consistent unless if they are also a follower to hlep you fight... - hows about a campfire or something like that...thats something you can bring with you to set camp.

i know in the instances with the salesman on the road, there are only dogs every once in a while.. set camp there. kind of ensures the safety of the salesman npc, as well as the safety of those setting camp there.

12. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

SoTA , should be 80 + bucks for 2 games .... yes at least 2 games people :p.

13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

If the "dropping and moving items everywhere" feature doesn't make it into the online part of the game then it should definitely be a feature for the offline part. This is one of the features that made Ultima unique and hopefully it will be a part of SotA, too.

14. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

@DarkStarr

I know this thread starts with saying that time advancement while sleeping won't be a thing for Episode 1, which is cool, especially if the future episodes are supposed to take place at certain 'times', we shouldn't have that much control over time progression.

What i'm curious about is, will weather changes and seasons come and go in offline mode? I assume in online mode, these changes could be 'manually' done during frequent patches, but offline, it may need to be automated, or otherwise go through frequent updates as well to get these changes.

Will we have a sense of time progression in the offline game? (with seasons, holidays and weather changes) that we'll see in the online game?

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  15. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Weather should work automatically and work the same in offline and online

Numa, Heradite, Rampage202 and 8 others like this.
  16. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Not that far outside the realm of realism.

SW: Battlefront is $120 for half a game. :)

17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

For a spiritual successor to Ultima 7 I would pay much, MUCH more than that :)

18. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I agree with that. But wait, I already paid by ten times or more :eek:

19. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Some of us HAVE paid way way way way way way more than $120.

20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i think of it less of that, and more as an investment in letting the field of game development realize they need to rethink the current trend in how they make games for the western hemisphere.. so far, so good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.