So Many Patches

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Garvey, Jul 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

While its not exactly the preferred method, have you tried downloading the patch with a bittorrent client? (this can help with speeds sometimes, although recently ive not found myself doing this as the sota patcher gets a good speed for me)

2. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

There are at least a couple Gigbit+ Connection speed Seedboxes - churning out the last 7 patches to anyone who connects via the normal patcher - torrent swarm.

So it's out there and available, I totally get the frustration with the bigger patches - like when we shift Unity 3 to 4 to 5 to 6 to 7??? I've lost track of which Unity we are on.

V/R Brickbat

Time Lord likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

I blame this guy,
    [​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Garvey

Garvey Avatar

haha - and i wake up and its done - press go annnnnnnd - bam another patch :) - lolz

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  5. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

That sucks!
    Maybe Steam works better for you.

6. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

So what do you think is the problem?

Spent more time with critical/new bugs and less time with Add-on store stuff would be a solution untill Episode 1 is finished.

7. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I sympathise with your frustration. As a few others have said - the devs build a release that seem to work. They have "engaged" as many dev+ members as they can to hit the release the week before it comes out, and catch as many bugs as possible. When it is released however, hundreds or maybe thousands hop on - the sheer volume of people going everywhere will find more bugs. So, new patch. Then that breaks something else. Another patch. Usually takes 4 or 5 patches after a release to bed everything down properly.
    If you are not willing or able to go through Steam ( which is faster) the only other option is to not connect at all for the first week after release. Hard to do I know....................

Womby likes this.
  8. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

please be aware you are playing a game in creation and you are watching the story unfold as the months go on to the release of this great game. you are also on the journey with us.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  9. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

The problem is they need thare balance of some of both otherwise there is not enough income to pay for the fixing and development

I'm pretty sure that I would be safe to say not all bugs from qa are fixed before release day. Some more important than others. Hence there are known issues in the release notes.

This thread started as too many patches. If you add qa patches there's a lot more. Theres then all the patches even qa doesn't see.

Personally I would happily play on qa as my main server and live with patches every few hours. For I love helping fix things. However. I'm not the majority. Therefore what I would suggest doesn't work for many others.

The problem i see is that people want a bear release quality game while it's not ready and very much actively being changed. It's an honour to be allowed in to play this early. If game play is borked for a week. We need to suck up and wait.

Wintermute of CoF and Alley Oop like this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

You might consider Steam if patches are a chore. I switched awhile back, set it to always preemptively download SOTA patches while the PC is running, and now almost never experience a delay for patching.

11. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

It doesn't for me. It downloads faster but it has to download a lot more because of the way it works (Steam downloads the entirety of any files that has changed, launcher is more fine grained).

We're on 5.6 I believe, though there are more fine grained updates which also cause us bigger downloads (we are on a newer version of 5.6 than we were for R42).

I think the first few patches are usually for issues found in Dev+, the releases we get to download are usually built the day before we download them.

12. Garvey

Garvey Avatar

i simply think the problem is soo many people downloading at the same time - because if i dl in the morning its super quick 2 mins and patched - at this time its 10kbps again

majoria70 likes this.
  13. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

It's bittorrent, more people downloading should mean more uploading so faster speeds, providing your ISP has capacity.

14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The issue I saw was that three of the patches through Steam downloaded the entire 3GB game. That hasn't happened since we switched Unity versions a few releases ago, but happened three times to me with this release. Generally, yes the small patches take no time at all and patch seamlessly.

15. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I tried for 6 months and never got the rewards I deserved for it after posting dozens of videos and tons more bug posts. Its hard enough to step out of the production game and empire building to find bugs on a QA server and the rewards they offered us helped. But I never saw what I deserved and my requests to them were completely ignored so Im done with it.

16. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

The "entire game" is over 8 gig.

17. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

After unpacking, yes. The full game 0->whatever torrent is 3.6gb or so.

18. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Wintermute of CoF likes this.
  19. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I feel the OP's pain..

idk if it would make for fewer patches or not but I've long felt that more people on QA would be a good thing. If this thing is gonna make it out the door this year perhaps it's time we actually turn the key and start the car instead of pushing it down the road.

open up QA to all

@DarkStarr @Chris

20. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I don't see how opening up QA would have any effect on launch, we all test the same product. QA just gets a rougher version of it for a few days, and very often things are added still to live that were not available to be tested in QA.

Alley Oop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.