Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Top 11 Annoyances (as of R15)

Discussion in 'Release 15 Feedback' started by smack, Mar 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Only one thing really annoys me - getting stuck in combat mode.

Everything else I can live with at this early stage. Having said that, I agree that most of the annoyances mentioned in this thread are valid criticisms of things still in need of fixing/tweaking.

majoria70, Ice Queen, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  2. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

1. lied to me in the 1st news letter[redacted a day or so later, but more or less blew a lot of smoke for virtually no reason.]
    2. No necropolis
    3. No area to farm gold ie: waste time playing just for the sake of it
    4. Killed any area that had a party identity ie: lich spawn last patch for 1-5k gold
    5. Lack of anything to do besides chop,mine,craft
    6. A huge lack of any significant changes to the world; we had already explored most of these areas via teleporter!
    7. Instructions lying about how many items per vendor (was 10!!!!!!!!) is ACTUALLY 5 PER PERSON
    8. Load times for Ardoris.... yeah................................. all those pauses intended to emphasize a point
    9. No higher tiered monsters, and most are named from the location they were more or less "duped" from with 0 loot (17 gold yay!)
    10. Mages are still better then melee for pvp!
    11. -= No gear grind, no filler, virtually a bread on bread sandwhich. I like the small quests, but if they had more of a "fill" to them, at least I can pretend for the time being that they are worth doing. Ie: return 10,000 sashes, get another hat: sword: model: if for nothing else, cosmetic items to sell later as a "rare!" even mini-goals establish incentive to be here for all month/more/less. That said, more friendships, and more people to share in the suck! :p

The Hendoman and smack like this.
  3. Wyr

Wyr Avatar

1. I don't really mind the random encounters, actually like the idea. However the loading time I absolutely HATE. Example: I'm in chat with friends, random attack, can't chat for 20-30 seconds, loading finishes and I decide to run for it, another 20 seconds loading. Which means I have lost 1 minute of conversation. And the best part is when you take 2 steps and another random starts... I think the random maps should be pre-loaded with overland, so that the screen twists Final Fantasy-like battle starts, you fight or run, back to map with zero or close to loading time.

2. The forever combat-mode bug is a little anoying, having to keep power such as Light in my deck because of that.

3. The chat system is still clumsy, seems to always behave the opposite I expect. When I expect it to write, I hit the keys and lots of windows pop-up. When I expect it not to, comes the wwwwwwwww. Not to mention that it doesn't transition from Local to party to whisper very clearly. When you talk to a NPC, the active tab changes to the conversation, instead of making a new tab. All the resourses seens to be there, but not behaving intuitivelly.

4. Many melee powers doesn't seen any different from each other or from normal attack. Not only the look (which I expected because of alpha and all), but the effect/damage. To the point that half my deck is there only as a "attack twice as fast" effect, despite de description.

5. The Master Volume have life of it's own. Sometimes is zero, sometimes is ok.

6. I have mastered the Skinning tree, however the loot is ALWAYS the same. I kill a 30xp mini spider, got eye/silk/etc. I kill a 1800xp spider, got eye/silk/etc. I kill a 30xp barking wolf, got hide. I kill a Patriarch bear, got hide. Not really interesting, besides the high level mobs doesn't even pay for weapon/armor damage. Give skinning some love.

7. Journal is a mess! Please make a "hide note" button to allow us to hide old/completed quests. Don't want anything done automatically, but every time I open my journal I read "guard X told me I can offer people help by saying (etc...)", and I have to forward 4-5 times to start seeing useful notes. And sometimes I have to read all notes again to make sure I'm not missing anything.

8. Glyph system takes too much attention during combat. I like the idea in concept, but am not impressed with the implementation. FFXIV can keep your attention during combat in a far more imersive way, actually looking at the enemy moves, not the cards at the bottom. Hoping to see the devs trying other approaches to the card system.

Guess that's it that is bugging me in R15. BTW, the game is already fun enought to make me grind and level and do quests for a couple of hours in a row, congratz.

4. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I finally logged in for a very short time yesterday. For this release, my top ten annoyance can be summarized with one word: LAG. For some unknown reason, I seem to lag fairly badly this release.

It was fine for the most part in the other two releases but this release? Nope. How bad is the lag? It takes 3 tries to get through the door. It takes 3 more to get out. It takes a lot longer to load a new scene. It takes minutes before I can start walking around in town. I feel like I am almost crawling when I try to run from place to place. I am dreading going out into the fields to play with things.

I'd probably add a 11th complaint but I didn't really have the patience to test much with so much lag so I guess my finally complaint is not being able to do much currently.:(

WyrdWeb, Lord Baldrith and smack like this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

This is due to the move from Unity 4 to 5.
    Some of the things needs changing which they didn't have time for in R15, but will have fixed for R16. Part of the R15 hangout they talked about light sources being a big issue where it becomes multiple rends upon multiple sources. So potentially you could get lag even in basements when alone if you had enough light sources.

4EverLost and smack like this.
  6. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

i play this game for about 2 hours at a go, and i hate the fact that most of my time is spent walking around from town to town randomly encountering stale things when i am full and want to get somewhere. That kind of immersion breaking slowdown doesn't have the same effect on me as it did in other games - i can't really pinpoint why it annoys me so much here in Sota. since this game is largely tired gaming concepts, why not add some overland stealth options like being able to walk around stuff?

I try and try to come up with one new concept this game introduces, and FAIL. There, i have said it. I remember sales pitches like never before seen and innovative and it's a lie. I want the game to succeed, I am often saying GOOD THINGS ABOUT SOTA and at the same time I wonder just how stoned i was when i read the pitch and it sounded like I *HAD* to get in on this. Sota makes a nice Gothic 2 mod. Should have been marketed as that.

People on the team have a smashing list of successful games under the belt : and little of those award winning concepts made it in here. most of the annoying concepts did, though. I do not mean this in a slanderous way at all - observationally only.

There is virtually NO input from staff on this forum to quell ANY rumours. I get more action from the moderator here - why are we testing this game with no support? was that planned?

Forums are not set up properly to report bugs. it is the 'job' of the players, right? AFTER you pony up $. ONE thing was easily done right: there are subsets like 'crafting' 'overland'. and that's it. people report bugs and they sit there and go unanswered and unviewed. Later, a fellow PLAYER may comment 'yeah, that's nerfed - it in this small report buried in a devchat video - not listed in the KNOWN BUGS page... LIST ALL BUGS so we are not wasting OUR time reporting known and UNDOCUMENTED bugs and I have made a bug report post about this very thing. it's called infrastructure, i think. properly structure bugs to not waste dev precious time yet yours is valueless is how your public face can be interpreted.

I get it, ground floor opportunity, ultima fan backer, etc. but when bugs that are not being addressed and are left IN the game release after release slow things down. and believe it or not, i value my time like a Dev would. Acknowledge that, please.

buggy areas are demonstrated in release quests. This looks like you are asking future backers to buy into laggy stuff and buggy concepts. a DEMO QUEST thru a town like Lagdoris is restupulous.

Bored. six is all you get, they may get the same treatment, ignore-ance and mis-resolution. we are akin to mushrooms around here. Money mushrooms. It wont take much to make Sota even more fun. It is kinda fun so far for about an hour. Maybe that's all we really need in life out of Sota. Perhaps this game isn't going to be an online sit-in : which makes sense, it reduces server lag if people just pop on for an hour and get bored and leave. So if Sota is designed to get $ and deliver an hour or two for that, is there a way to market it THAT way, instead of how the marketing reads now?

The Hendoman

Ice Queen and smack like this.
  7. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

1. No new clothing options

2. Dyes were pushed

3. Male head resculpt - why do I look like I haven't slept in weeks?

4. Lag spikes - nothing serious...but it's constant. walk-walk-walk-waaaaait-walk-walk-walk-waaaaait...

5. Having to adjust to the new paradigm of having enough content, such that new players aren't playing through it all, and some of them don't know where to find everything.

6. Players who complain and doomspeak in pre-alpha as if we were a fully launched product.

7. I carry the materials to make 1600 Bark Bread, I'm 25% encumbered. I make 1600 Bark Bread, I'm 500% encumbered.

8. The ability to rotate wall candles was removed. This puts a crimp in my 'neon signs for basements' business.

9. Continued lack of the ability to emote while sitting.

10. Continued lack of a generic /emote command (/emote makes bubbles in the hot tub == * Jack Knyfe makes bubbles in the hot tub)

11. The fireplace in my home STILL doesn't have a fire in it.

8. smack

smack Avatar

Thanks all for your continued feedback! It's great to see everyone else's Top Annoyance lists!

There are definitely quite a few common ones so I'm hoping the devs are taking steps to resolve those in the next release or so...like stuck combat and death decay bugs...and then random encounter /ragequit!!! :)

majoria70, Ice Queen and Jack Knyfe like this.
  9. ThePompousPeasant

ThePompousPeasant Avatar

I was going to write my impressions of R15 but this thread has most of that already covered. I agree with all of this ESPECIALLY THE OVERVIEW MAP )&$*)^&$*(@#@ING COMBAT AMBUSHES but would also add:

1. Sound - Wherever we walk it's the same sound. In combat there is no sound, at least that I can discern. I think I heard a SMACK once upon a time but not sure.

2. Combat - I appreciate that they are taking a different approach with the decks and like it but the combos should not be activated by dragging one to another but just by a button. So if player sees a combo on the screen then SMASH X and BOOM combo. This will allow our eyes more time on the screen looking at the combat. Combat also feels so "airy" to me. It's as if we and creature we are attacking is invisible...needs much more weight to it.

3. I would LOVE to be able to switch to the ctrl + M camera mode and be able to still click on objects and elements. Maybe a reticle that is in front of us and we get that reticle or circle or whatever to line up with what we want to click and then can click it? I find the second camera angle so much more alive since I can turn camera around and still see me running forward or sideways, etc.

4. Already been said but lag in Owl's Head and Art are ok for me but are going to be game breaking for many others if not fixed.

I have not played any serious amount of time since R4 so I can definitely see the improvements but we have a very long ways to go.

Kaisa, majoria70 and smack like this.
  10. GingerLee

GingerLee Avatar

Towns... Way too many trees making navigation hard in towns that are cookie cut from the same mold. Besides that the Sun could be high noon and its still bleak and dark because of all the trees. I know the lighting has issues with Unity5 and getting worked on but clean up the towns some too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.