Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Ultima IX style inventory

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

God no, PLEASE not the U6 version, especially for dealing with chests

Sir_Hemlock and Fox Cunning like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

I lost the black gate key, btw. :) The guardian foiled me by messing with my bags.

Although, I think there must have been a bug involved, because I moved everything in my inventory and it wasn't there.

Lord Trady of Blix and docdoom77 like this.
  3. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I never finished Serpent's Isle, because I lost the Serpent ring. :p

4. High Baron Asguard

the keyring in silver seed was the second most useful item in the game after the ring of reagents

docdoom77 likes this.
  5. High Baron Asguard

According to spoony you didn't need it :p

docdoom77 likes this.
  6. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Yeah. I remember watching that and cursing a great deal, because that saved game was long gone, so the knowledge no longer helped.

7. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

[​IMG]
    Not sure I want to play that game...

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its going to be the same game even as it is when they add object limits to containers. The devs have said that chests, for instance, will both have an item and weight limit. You'll have to decide what to take out and what to put in. The Dungeon Siege-style inventory isn't any worse, its just more evident what's going on. Its also not any more work than the freeform bag system, where you constantly have to move items around to keep everything organized, so objects aren't overlapping each other.

If you're talking about matching up odd holes, I think there always could be a function that sorts your inventory in a way to get rid of that problem if need be. Short of a function like that, you could drag an item to a taken space in your bag, and it would make room for it if it can possibly do so. Or simply, dragging the item to the bag's icon could try to make space for it that way.

docdoom77 and Fox Cunning like this.
  9. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I posted this a while back when we were talking about bags...I liked UO bags...you can see that the item size in UO was nice and small so you could easily organize a bag in a bag system for your reagents, your consumables etc. I also think our current bag mode should have a take all with the ability to choose which bag what type of thing goes in...but perhaps that would be complex...If nothing else I didn't mind dragging stuff into each bag manually :)
    [​IMG]

10. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

I think the grid system is beautiful, it added a lot of life to the UO client through krrios, and even through third dawn. that said, I think it will matter less later, particularly in relation to combining things en mass becomes a reality, but for now, i can see why this would draw more of the ultima audience looking for that authentic feel, and realizing they ocd considerations when it comes to loot, where its stored, etc.

I approve.

11. selbie

selbie Avatar

As I've said in the older threads on this, the grid system will definitely help with the problem of stuff overlapping. The other option is to make a zoomable backpack so that when you look closer in the bag, the items spread out further and therefore less overlap.

docdoom77 likes this.
  12. Pedro Luis

Pedro Luis Avatar

CouldnĀ“t agree more! I really like UO interface, it's simple but really nice...smaller items and a "take all" option would be great (so people could use this interface without loosing time for those who have the "take all" option...).

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  13. Pamela Eldritch

Pamela Eldritch Avatar

Great stuff in this thread. I am not a fan of the current list system but grid or loose bag my main concern is the quality of the pixel art used for items. I know they would like as many items as possible to be place-able in the world and the quality of the flat art and how it relates to the 3D art is critical. I dont know if they can use 3D art in the context of the inventory system but that could be cool?

The UO system allowed them to really make some nice stuff- in a 3D game it may be more difficult but for me is really important that the objects be pleasing to look at. The current icons are not to my taste.

The wicker basket rare in UO was a favorite of mine. I loved the art open and closed and the sound it made. I spent weeks trying to get my first one and the art was an important part of that experience.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  14. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

Not a fan of the grid. It seems to defeat the purpose of a graphical drag and drop inventory. At that point you may as well be using the list. Someone mentioned the U7 style inventory though. Items weren't restricted to a grid, you could throw them in wherever, but once you put them there they were stickied in place for the most part so you had a sense of organization. I seem to recall sometimes things would shift, though usually they seemed to sort of self-organize somehow in U7.

An invisible grid or the option to toggle visibility on and off might be fine though.

15. ElricVandor

ElricVandor Avatar

I know this idea might seem odd, but it just came to mind when reading the other posts. Someone mentioned bags in your backpack, and of course, that is one thing we remember from UO. Like, putting all your reagents into a particular bag. I do think that that is a good system, and that many players could adjust to it.
    However, I next thought of an "auto-sorting", where you i.e. assign a certain sub-container to a certain kind of item, like if you pick up reagents, it goes into a designated container.
    Then again, this might be considered too complicated or too much hand-holding or requiring too much setup.

How about... certain types of containers that each char has? As in, a "reagent bag" on your belt (not visible on the char) that all herbs and mats automatically go in. A "weapon quiver" that any weapon goes in. A "toolbag" (I am thinking like little bags on your belt, and this is no Batman-reference) where hammers, tongs and molds go, and one main bag where everything else goes.. quest items, armour you loot or buy, whatever.
    Just a random idea, not saying I would really require this etc.

I just thought of that because right now, I carry a lot of non-stacking duplicate items... especially the founders cutlass. I pick up one or two whenever Im in Owls Head, because when I am out grinding, I might go through 2-3 of them, and instead of fixing them, I just equip a fresh one. This is quite an individual thing, not something everyone does, but what IF you have like 6-8 weps on you and they all clutter your inventory grid, or you have to scroll through quite a long text-based inventory to even find the right one. To have some kind of quiver where weps go (whether ones you buy, craft or loot) would kinda help keeping things sorted.

Again, just a random idea, and I am sure this could be considered too much "hand-holding" or too complicated

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  16. Brightstar

Brightstar Avatar

Here's a thought, why not just make the bag and all the items in it bigger (say double in size), that way everything is easier to see and distinguish. No major rework required except making bigger item icons/pictures.

17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

At least items should stay where I put them and it should be easier to grab them.
    Also it would be good to see how many items are stacked without having to mouseover them.

docdoom77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.