Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Ultima IX style inventory

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Feb 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I love the backpack inventory BUT it is really chaotic and ineffective to use. It is hard to grab items and even harder to find specific items.
    This said, for me the list inventory is no option. It feels too static and more like an Excel sheet. I need something graphical that fits into the world.
    So basically I really like the backpack.
    But what if it would be modified to work like the backpack-inventory of Ultima IX? In the backpack there was a grid in which you could place the items. Items could still stackable and larger items would use up more space.
    I think that this could be a good compromise between order and chaos ;)

[​IMG]

Alternatively it would be cool to get a sorting button for the backpack inventory, to get a bit of order into the chaos.

2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Much prefer U7s inventory actually, where things stay exactly where they are put

gtesser and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The issue I see with this is the limited space. There's only so many boxes in the grid. Even with bags it's very limiting.

4. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I have previously asked about having a grid inventory not really in a bag but basically another form of the last inventory except a grid instead but they said it probably won't happen for episode one.

docdoom77 likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I suppose if the backpack had 'pages'.. something akin to NWN that could work.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  6. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Or we could scroll up and down.

7. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Yeah. We asked for this back in Release 1. I don't think it's a high priority. Too bad.

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I feel your pain. I love the graphical inventory, but can't use it because of how small each item is. I'd love a grid option, especially one without a preset number of slots (basically, can put more stuff in that spaces it shows, and add/drop rows as needed, until the volume of the bag is full).

I want to love the U7-style bag, but unless it covers 1/3 of my monitor, I can't see how its going to be useful.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL Darkmoon you have so many surprises. I love the bag style myself, not using it as is now tho, and I'm a bit torn regarding if it should be grid based or not. Right now the items we have show as way too big in scale to put in bags, which I'm sure will
    be fixed eventually. The point I'm trying to make is or bring up that is that yes the grids restrict us a bit by not letting us have to organize our bags ourselves, and also by limiting the size of a bag, altho we could hopefully hold more than one bag like in UO.
    I do think the bags look really cool in your picture. I just love the texture, our team will probably make it very special too.:)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Originally, didn't U7s inventory system mix everything up when you closed and re-opened your bag?

I don't prefer a grid and scrollbar in a bag; it feels a little artificial to me. Its sort of turning it just into a form of skeuomorphism, instead of some kind of meaningful representation.

But there's a lot that can be improved with the current bag system to make it easier to use. I still think one of the key things would be sizing the items appropriately ; not having large items appear small, and not having small items appear large. It would make organization a lot more intuitive. Making a breastplate obscured by a couple of flowers of nightshade just lacks any intuitiveness, and also kills the concept of the bag as a meaningful representation. You might as well use a list or grid, if you're doing that already. Second, showing items that stack as stacked, by making them look like they're in a stack, rather than just as a single item. Third, limits on what bags can hold would help, because you wouldn't have piles of junk. Easy access to different bags on your person. Right now, its just too easy to dump things to your avatar, and then everything gets piled into the same bag, never organized... There's nothing wrong with some "clean-up" features, too, if they're necessary; but there would be other improvements to focus on I think before that. U7 and UOs bag systems felt much nicer to use than the one currently in the game.

I think a Dungeon Siege-type grid inventory, with different sized items, would have a lot of benefits, though.

docdoom77 likes this.
  11. High Baron Asguard

I was trying to remember that, I thought it left everything where it was because I am sure I used to spend ages moving the black pearls so they would stack on top of each other and sorting my canon in my ship so it didn't block access to everything else in the hold.

12. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think it originally did, I think there was a patch to fix that or something :D

13. High Baron Asguard

Ahh that would be why, I only played 7 after I got the collectors edition

14. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Excellent. DS has a great inventory system, IMO, but it never popped up in my mind as an example. Thanks for that!

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

I've been bringing it up because it would be especially useful in dealing with merchants and vendors. Right now, in the list system, rugs appear in a tiny icon where you can't really see the details. You can mouse over the item to see a larger version, but you're going one by one.

I think its also preferable to either the list inventory, or the bag inventory as-is -- especially if we're never going to see things like in UVII-UVIII, where items could be hidden in containers underneath other items.

[​IMG]

docdoom77 likes this.
  16. High Baron Asguard

That's pretty much the same as Diablo 2 isn't it, how useful that would be is going to depend on how many items we need to carry, and if they stack or not. If you have to carry 200 of each reagent to cast spells and they don't stack then that style is going to be painful

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  17. Floors

Floors Avatar

Let's just not have tiny, almost identical keys with no keychain function that you lose permanently. whatever we do.

redfish and High Baron Asguard like this.
  18. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Here's the Ultima 5 Lazarus version of that.

[​IMG]

Lord Trady of Blix likes this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its going to be the same problem even in the current inventory if they ever put in object limits to bags.

The obvious answer: of course they should stack :D Games that do this usually make the stacks have an upper limit to them though, which depends on what you're stacking.

docdoom77 likes this.
  20. Floors

Floors Avatar

Ultima V: Lazarus (Dungeon Siege) actually worked pretty well for inventory management. The grid system worked pretty well.

I really liked Lazarus. Despite all of it's bugs. I know they tried to do U6 this way too but it was nowhere near as good.

They really kept the spirit of Ultima V.

I'm not going to lie. I really want to see a remake of Ultima V as some point. Even using this engine. I just love that game.

docdoom77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.