Why do you PvP? Just asking to see why people want to fight eachother?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Weins201, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Exactly, this way it will take most if the focus off new players, cant say all because there will always be someone who dont care, topped with the fact looking at you i dont know what lvl you are so im bound to get a new player by mistake.. however it would not be my first choice.

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

As a new player, expect to get your butt kicked. Same goes for lesser skilled, heh. It happens and I don't think they should get a watered down experience. UO's model had gathers set to lesser skill by design. Not the case with SotA so there is some room to adjust.

I have a suggestion for a time based loot system, I wonder how luck could be incorporated into that. *wonders off pondering*

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Being killed as a new player separates the men from the boys. As soon as you can accept death you can do anything.

blaquerogue and Moonshadow like this.
  4. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

I'll be honest i never would have thought you would be in favour of killing noobs :p as for the timer thing...... still dont like it but since were getting along for once...... perhaps it could shorten the cool down, or perhaps have a chance to skip it.

5. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

You seem to feel like this is going to be a copy of Ultima Online, it’s not even close, so it should not be treated that way.

My initial explanation was about the current state of SotA PvP and greifing in a PvP situation, not some fanatical Ultima Online wonderland.

I use to be the lamest griefer of all time, quite possibly lamer than you. When the King system was implemented in the Ultima Online shard, IPY2, I was the first player in the game to be ‘exiled’ from Britain and quite possibly had to most pages on me daily during that time period.

To be a PK is to be a murder. You can role-play a murder, but murdering will not take place until we have something along the lines of open PvP instances with valuable resources or a true open PvP world.

Your ideology is that of a typical griefer. In no way can you consider yourself a PK, as Greifers are currently being labeled by some players. This is for people who actually have skill at killing people, not people that exploit or take advantage of Pre-Alpha mechanics.
    Lol, this is not credible by any means, nor is it a tactic, it’s called, “I can’t beat this guy toe-to-toe”
    It explains why you feel it will be tweaked.
    This mechanic is in for the sole purpose of testing, just as you can cast spells with no regs and zone in on players. Sure, you might kill some people but, you will not get 1st place in any PvP situation by exiting the game. You shall be looked down upon as a scrub.

No one is viewing this as complete. My initial explanation is about the current state of SotA, not some fanatical Ultima Online wonderland, and it obviously will not be this way in the final release.
    Lol, tactics? It takes -30 INT to comprehend camping a spawn point. This is simply griefing, no other way around it. A lot of spawn points are currently inevitable to get to certain locations.
    We both know this will be altered in future releases. It’s just another way to grief, “ohhhh, I’m so OP, I killed a guy changing his skills…”
    This has nothing to do with flagging PvP or expecting the unexpected, it’s about flawed pre-alpha game mechanics.
    Zoning in on any enemy should not even be possible in the final release.
    All of what I stated is about players using pre-alpha game mechanics to simply grief. These mechanics will not swing a fight in your favor expect for a group battle using the Exit Game/Login method for full health, all of the others prevent a fight from even happening.

Abusing pre-alpha game mechanics will only label you as a griefer, thus you should be treated that way. As a side not, so far in SotA, I have not met one skilled PvPer that consistently griefed.

6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

PVP business!

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  7. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Since crafting isn't even 50% done (10% would probably be a better guess) , not a single skill are in the game yet. Crafters need to wait before they can complain, unless it's about missing skills or some of the other missing elements.

8. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Might be true but their is still complaints.. personally I could careless, I dont craft.

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Included into my time based suggestion I added the unknown factor. This way there was room for both a tactical fog and also the ransom concept has a little bit of hidden factor. The hidden factor would put a loose description out there so you, as the looter, would think about a quick turn around by ransom or take it back to identify later.

Luck might be something that could reveal the item outright instead of the loose description.

10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ill make it easier for people to understand, lets start with Medieval times, if tyrants wanted something they took it by force and resold it to neighboring city's or towns, there were barbaric groups like vikings and such that killed and pillaged took stuff and sold it to other groups (fact by the way you can look it up if you wish). Todays real world experience, Isis, Russia, Serbia etc... they take over stuff by force collect money from other supported and take that money and wealth as well, they take blown up vehicles of the opposite side scrap and sell em! There is your PVP in real life.

11. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Still dont like the cool down period, but I do like the idea about a hidden factor.:)

12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Fully aware of what SotA and the direction it is going in. If you read my post I don't recall at any stage making comparisons between UO and SotA; I was simply talking about what players like yourself refer to as 'griefing' which I'm sure you are aware may or may not take place in any multiplayer game. The list provided based upon my time in UO was simply used to provoke thought.

Once again a disagree with what you consider griefing.

I'm sure you are......but to my definition I don't grief anyway.

Congrats

Don't think you really know what PKing is to be fair, my view is as follows (taken from another forum):

"A PK tends to be a player who will work alone or possibly with another. They are not looking for a 'fight', they are looking for an easy kill......this is not about PvP. By it's very nature PKing is non-consensual, the victim at that given point in time is not prepared or not skilled for combat. Traditionally PKing is an occupation (a bit like stealing), it is all about the loot. Bragging rights for PKing isn't attached to who they kill.......but the volume of 'murders' they commit."

Sadly I am not convinced that the PK will be a viable play style in Shroud due to the very poor mechanics that are in the pipeline over loot (no incentive) and also due to the general direction the community is pushing the game - 'Everything must be safe and fair or I will cry and rage-log'.

Don't really see what your getting at. Part of the whole Alpha testing is to identify areas that need additional control.....sure when player find areas that will blatantly be fixed such as logging in and out on death......they will do it. However I dont recall linking any of this back to a PK.

You die a lot bro? sounds like you need to remove your PvP flag or find a friend to watch your back.......thats what the smart players do at the moment.

Only by those who feel that way......oh well.

blaquerogue likes this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I gave this some serious thought. On the surface, it sounds perfectly sane and reasonable. It's a game and games are for having fun.

However, this going to sound a bit lunatic fringe in comparison. But, some people contributed to the project because the promise is to have a truly community driven virtual world with the good and bad of RL mixed in like a giant social stew. If that is the case, then...

the policy of freely killing for fun, will be the demise of the concept. Unlike RL, being mean to someone the game has no recourse especially if the Pk'er has the mindset of it being just a game, not taking seriously the need for community. This player could unwind the entire community. Since the community will be comprised of people in this forum, it would be no different than trolling the forum.

This may be why so many have asked for some sense of PK ethics. (i know there will never be PvP ethics)

14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Also keep in mind that all these options are peoples personal choices, so if someone flags for PVP, its their own fault, they can just play without being PVP flagged or whatever form they pick of PVP, which would give everything those people expected. So that is an upside to it, I just hate to hear people complain about being killed, when they themselves chose that option.;)

Keira OFaolain and E n v y like this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Ack, wait a second, are you thinking of the example I used in this thread. No no, that would be horrible, there is no fun factor involved at all.

The time based loot suggestion I was referring too is Click here

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Of course. Not pointing anyone or anything in particular.

blaquerogue likes this.
  17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I didnt think you were, just some people forget they have options! :) and this was the best post to quote to remind them!

Keira OFaolain and E n v y like this.
  18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Equally some players contributed to the project so that if they choose they can expand their PvP activities to include killing the weak and unskilled in a consensual area (ie they are flagged) . We already have limited PvP due to players not wanting to be attacked.......why on earth would you want to put in place additional rules or a code of conduct to protect players who have already consented to PvP? Really how much hand holding do people need?

blaquerogue likes this.
  19. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Just as a clarification, by, "you" you mean the proverbial you right? I never believed there would be PK ethics in any PVP game without serious personal penalties to the RL player, and I am certainly not advocating that craziness.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

As long as it is choice and not because the core design pushed for the weak and unskilled to be the main target. PK those players for fun is good because there is someone out there that will want to protect those players for fun. The easiest targets in the game should not be the source of profit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.