Why do you PvP? Just asking to see why people want to fight eachother?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Weins201, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

This is a simple question to see why people choose to PvP (PK)? (what is the mindset of the PK?)
    Yes I am trying to get into your heads :)

If I am going to PK someone it is for a reason

1. They attacked me - Self Defense:(
    2. They are trying to attack a friend :mad:
    3. Someone is trying to take, by force, what I am harvesting - defending my income?:cool:
    4. they are trying to get into my house - Castle Defense :):eek:
    5. Gladiatorial type games?;)

As you can see I am not just going to go out and ATTACK someone.

2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I suppose the bigger question is why would you want to PvM dealing with crude AI when you could battle against a real person.

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Since this thread just started, consider deleting it and creating a multi-select poll instead. The results might be interesting.

PS: there are a couple other options.
    6. Just for fun
    7. I am having a bad day
    8. Revenge
    9. I am in character

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

5. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Like Rista says their is already a thread for this see her link for my response

blaquerogue and Net like this.
  6. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

testing the mechanics of the game, discovering exploits, assesing ppls skills, fun, gambling, prizes, bragging, etc

Keira OFaolain and Tahru like this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Tournaments can be a lot of fun.

But usually to learn humility at the hands of my superiors. Heard it was a virtue... ;-)

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

People are jerks, and i am not allowed to stab them in real life.

9. Net

Net Avatar

Tournaments
    Practice for tournaments

And all of these (mostly 1 and 2 though).

10. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Now why didnt I think of that.:)

I know this feeling well. :)

11. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Players that choose to PvP have different play styles. So far on SotA we have primarily seen those that fight for fun and those that fight to grief.

Definition of Griefing in PvP situations on SotA thus far:
    -Attacking/Killing player before their screen fully loads.
    -Upon death using Exit Game/Login method for full health and no death penalty for the purpose of winning a group fight in an unfair manner.
    -Camping spawn points.
    -Killing players changing skills.
    -Zoning in on a player repeatedly to fight. (These players are currently taken care of by killing them before the screen loads)

I really don't feel that players that do these immature things should not be given the notable title of Player Killer (PK) unless they are able to kill any/every players in a non-consensual PvP situation, otherwise, we should call everyone that kills another player a PK.

Most these guys running around acting a fool are simply griefers and should be treated that way.

FanofIolo, blaquerogue, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  12. Stanwood

Stanwood Avatar

I've always preferred PvP. I've led war guilds, played the peaceful blacksmith, killed to defend my neighbors, and even felt incredible guilt for robbing innocent players.

I don't consider it a separate subculture, choice, or mechanic like some players. It's deeply woven into the worlds I inhabit, and the only way to be completely immersed into a multiplayer game. The early days of Ultima Online would be the epitome of excellence in my opinion. It's not the act of "l33t killing" -- it's the authentic feelings of both peace and danger, the politics between different guilds, the constant struggle to pull a piece of the world away from other players and make it your very own. It's simple economics, really. If you are absolutely certain you can attain everything, it becomes worthless. If you have to claw, bite, and possibly even kill to make your way in the world -- it's such a fantastic feeling of accomplishment. In games that I know I am eventually going to meet and defeat end-game, it's somehow less exciting.

I know it's not the popular choice for businesses to adopt, but I've had a taste of the good medicine and it's the only thing that soothes my addictions.

13. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

I have played all styles and enjoy all of them... the only playstyle I have no tolerance for is a "griefer". The person that will kill you at a trainer as a sota example.. or will talk nonsense in a group gathering .. you know the person that will do what ever it takes to try and cause you grief..
    To me that's unacceptable .. 0 tolerance.. that is why I wish anyone could be freely attackable... the wost people are not the ones that kill you but the ones that are immune to the repercussions of such dishonourable behavior.

FanofIolo and blaquerogue like this.
  14. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

I pvp mainly for 2 reasons

1) no matter how smart ai's get a human is much better.

2) love countering pk players. nothing like the feeling of killing that griefer and giving him a taste of his own medicine. granted it hardly ever works out the way u hope that he changes his ways but it does give u a momentary great feeling even as fleeting as it might be

15. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I can only say why i wanted a 100% PvP Full Loot World.

It is not because i want to battle always, but I wan´t to feel danger. I wan´t to be forced to Play careful and mindful.
    And that is not the case anymore.

If you flag yourself PvP you can visible see who is what. Immersion breaking for me. Also knowing i can always turn it off at the Oracle . :(

KuBaTRiZeS, Tahru and Keira OFaolain like this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Imaging this, if you will, just for a second. The largest guild in the game decides to camp every location in the game, that has content. They will not allow anyone to partake in this content. It's all PvP all the time.

That's not possible 100% of the time but what % of the time should content be unavailable to players due to being required to PvP.

Why even have content at all, why not have a full sandbox game.

Short answer: This is a story driven game with as much sandbox elements as possible, while protecting the story from that sandbox.

lollie likes this.
  17. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

*uses my imagination as suggested.* I now see a world where PK hunters matter. I see a world where a crafter might hire guards to help keep them safe while they gather resources. I see a world where it is challenging and you might not get that rare item so easily. I see a world that is exciting, not boring because everything is simple to get, just boring because you need so much of it to compensate for the lack of danger.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Now see if you can see all those things provided by the story. Then those that choose to partake in the PvP side of the story can have both.

19. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

to a extent but now it is your turn for just a moment, think about the world of Sota as is, some flag for PVP and others do not, those who do flag and attempt to live the world i just described in the last post take all the risk to go out and get the rare items, it dangerous, it fun they may or may not make it back to sell that item if they do they might, just might be tempted to sell that item for a nice chunk of gold how ever they cant, why because little 3 year old timmy can go get the same thing with out the risk and under cut the market by 50% if he so chose.

Cordelayne, KuBaTRiZeS and Bambino like this.
  20. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I used to be the biggest PK troll alive. I used to do it just to be an asshat.

In every mmo I have ever played I just did alot of pvp until I got bored and moved on.

I hope to do all the things I never did in an mmo here.

Now I am Anti PK, how things have changed.

Net, Themo Lock, FanofIolo and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.