Why do you PvP? Just asking to see why people want to fight eachother?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Weins201, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

1: We must throw out the foundation of the content delivery system - Selective Multiplayer and instanced hexes system.

To have that world you speak of we must either remove that completely or restrict access to the system. This would be in the segregation department.

2: We must assume the "risk" factor is easy enough that a 3 year old can accomplish anything.

While I understand the bias, I have my own with PvP and the potential for exploits and how those exploits destroy the PvP play style. We must give them a chance to prove what they say, content will be challenging.

So I can imagine a world where PvE and PvP are not segregated and the economy is not hyper inflated due to incompetent world design. This was the failing of UO. The economy was built around PvP gating inflation then removed PvP. SotA is not being built with PvP as a control for inflation.

Does this mean it will be the same level of difficulty for open PvP to bring in profit as it would be for players not open to PvP? The answer to that is lands in the repeated statement that they wish to control the cost of PvP. So things like limited loot instead of full loot come into play.

Contain profit into each aspect of play. Then they can adjust each as needed to keep inflation under control. Make it PvP centric and PvP must be controlled to control other aspecs of play. Building the game with a modular design.

Themo Lock and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  2. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

I have yet to see a PK in SotA o_O

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You'd have to define what PK means to you then.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  4. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

My initial post in this thread explains most of it. What is the difference in being a PvPer or a PK?

5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The beholder

6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Dejavu!!!

First of all no matter what you do in a game you will never be able to match a true living persons actions or responses, so we need to throw that AI might be just as hard out bottom line it is impossible. Argue it as you may there is a mechanic that drives NPCs Monsters etc,,, to walk from point A to point B, there is a mechanic that this NPC or creature is bound by on how it attacks how much or how less it chases, how much damage it does or doesn't do. So sorry to all you people out there that say well if the AI is better blah blah (AI = Artificial intelligence, not real.) a plastic plant will not grow, a plastic flower will not be able to bloom other flowers and so on.

Real people have real minds, they think for real and the work for real! If im getting attacked by a swordsman (AI) and i run up onto a rock where he cant reach me, then rain fireballs down on him until hes dead, how real was that? why didn't he decide to follow me personally up on the rock, the mechanics designed for that (AI) do not allow it! I on the other hand being real, figured out that was the best way to kill him off!

That is why i like PVP! Any game mechanic can be avoided, cheated, or run from. A real person is much more challenging than an AI placement, that other real person can chase me up the rock as well as i myself ran up there. I think when people say more challenging AI they mean more damaging, harder etc... but in the long run AI loses out to human intelligence!
    So that is the reason i PVP it is more challenging!

Keff, Bambino, KuBaTRiZeS and 2 others like this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Rules, and currently the only rule is you flag for PvP. It extends to "house rules" or perspective at that point. Like people afk or at the skill trainer NPC or crafting.

IMO it's all PvP in consensual PvP unless the game places a way to play the sheep.

8. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

If devs wanted to, we can have all those things, just not in everyday's life. Danger may be allocated in places where it's meaningful, and so does player threat. Problem is that falls into the field of social mechanics, and we don't know anything about it yet.

It's actually one of my concerns... I agree with not imposing the danger to everyone, since not everyone has the guts of the support (meaning a guild or friends) to face it. Nonetheless, for what i've read an innacurate staging of the blue vs red feeling may leave a deep scar in lots of people hopes for this game, so i expect devs to do it properly, and i think it can be done even in a consensual PVP limited loot scenario. They already mentioned sieges and control points, which means we'll have something to fight for! at the moment is a matter of faith, and thinking they'll make those meaningful.

And that's not all, lots of additional mechanics can be designed so they support the blue vs red scenario without endangering the solo player or the peaceful crafter. What if guilds artisans have a bonus crafting items for their guildmates, but they can be targeted at wars? Maybe a certain place is rich in a certain resource and is defended by guards... if a bunch of players kill all the guards, the zone gets flagged for PVP, and some virtous Anti PKs must come to the rescue... And that's just off the top of my head; we've been also told that shards will be Forced PVP scenes, and they'll had some valuable resources, which i expect to mean gathererers trained for fight, or gatherers protected by fighters.

I know is not the same, but i think it could be fun :D

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

"The hardest thing about designing AI is making it so the player can actually defeat the AI" - fact.

They can make AI so hard it's way to hard to kill. Don't care that they cheat and use systems unavailable to human players. Has nothing to do with controlling inflation.

10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Once again you have twisted what i said around, what i said was AI is artificial, and real people are more challenging than AI in any form, Are you really arguing that AI is as good as Real Intelligence???? and what is this about inflation not one thing i said there had anything to do with inflation! If AI was so hard id get 5 of my friends and we kill it off, not really cheating! Its accomplishing something with real thinking people, if AI was so hard people wouldn't even play a game with that! LOL

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Here this may help some out..................

artificial intelligence

noun
    : an area of computer science that deals with giving machines the ability to seem like they have human intelligence

ar·ti·fi·cial

adjective \ˌär-tə-ˈfi-shəl\
    : not natural or real : made, produced, or done to seem like something natural
    : not happening or existing naturally : created or caused by people
    : not sincere

in·tel·li·gence

noun \in-ˈte-lə-jən(t)s\
    : the ability to learn or understand things or to deal with new or difficult situations

Ill add this as well from my own opinion - Video Game NPC's and Monsters (AI)

majoria70 and Keira OFaolain like this.
  12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Now name one MMO that uses it.

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

lol for you I will name some - ALL Games that are on computers or video game systems! Have AI (even chess that's on most peoples PCs thats why you can play one player against it). Im not even going to reply to you anymore. You just seem to be looking to argue, no matter what facts are placed before you! So enjoy!

Keff and Bambino like this.
  14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not sure how that was arguing but OK. I wanted to illustrate how they are using a very limited form of AI for things like pathing and not much else.

Early in the Kickstarter it was something that Chris said. The way they are handling data with the cloud and crowd sourcing they are freeing up a lot more resources which allows them to put more into things like AI.

MOBs don't look at several paths and choose one that best fits the situation. They find a path to the destinations and go. That's not AI. Simple switching from range to melee attacks when someone gets close, or back to range when they try to kite away is hardly AI. But we can give them that if they want to call it AI.

Cover and concealment gives lots of room for AI usage.

Saying humans are always better than AI, well lets get some examples of some AI we are better than and see if there is room to up that game. Or we can just shoot it down and toss all AI out then replace it with all humans. We know that won't happen though.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  15. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Back in the founding days of UO the fact that it was all PVP all the time was...awesome, infuriating, exhilirating, treacherous and fun! It really made you think and adapt to the world around you. This is what makes a true sandbox game legit. Those intangibles of not knowing what might happen. Thats why I like the idea of PVP player towns that are regulated by the players. SoTA has the possibility to truly make a game where anything is possible given player dynamics.

blaquerogue, Keff, Bambino and 2 others like this.
  16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Flip side of that same coin.
    Bernie the Blacksmith goes out and collects metals and other bits of stuff he needs to create armor, dodging people who wish to kill him and take his ore and inguts. Sometimes he's successful, often he is not. However he persists because it's what he loves to do... he sets a fair price for his goods, based on the time and effort required, factoring in the loss due to being hunted, sometimes succefully, by those who don't have his dedication.
    He sells the armor to a propective warrior who dons it immediately, and sallies forth into the world to be slain within moments. His vanquishers dance merrily around his corpse, loot him clean, dismember his body; scattering the bits to the wolves and keeping some choice bits for themselves to be consumed later.
    They also put Bernie's fine armor on their vendor for someone else to buy at half of what Bernie charged originally as they have invested only moments into acquiring it.

17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I call that Business! Business as Usual, many companies undersell others for the same stuff! You may not think its right, but it is business! It is done in real life as well. Nothing wrong with doing business, besides id rather pay half price for something anyhow and care less about the poor miner. Not my problem and it sounds like poor blacksmith needs to hire some guards! :)

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What business takes a product from someone, with force, and resales that product for less than market value.

19. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Haven't you heard, it happens all the time. Ford dealers are killed and all their cars stolen, the killers open up a new store down the street and sells the cars. :D

Ariella, blaquerogue and Tahru like this.
  20. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

That was the business plan i presented ... kickstarter rejected it. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.