Why do you PvP? Just asking to see why people want to fight eachother?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Weins201, Dec 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

Can I be your friend? *bats eyes*

2. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

Im wearing purple because is my color...lol and you wont know if im red or blue :p

E n v y and Ariella like this.
  3. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I've had to clean quite a few posts up in this thread. If you have a problem with something someone says which is against the rules, please report it and let us handle the situation rather than to drag it out with more posts which can cause a situation to get worse.

Thanks

4. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

Competition, to compare yourself to other players, to see who is the good/best at a game.. Same reason people play shooter games, same reason people play sports etc.. To compete. Without PvP there would be no reason to play.

5. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

1. They attacked me - Self Defense
    And I like the chase or trying to get away.
    Plus getting murdered should mean flagging someone as a criminal.
    And if criminals stay flagged that way (which I support) then it helps me know when to run.

6. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Problem is that there is no "the best" in SotA! Best in what? If player A is better than player B on wood cutting, but player A better in leather working but player C better in handling swords, who is the best player? All of them can be the best in his/her category but there is no competition between them whatsoever.

7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am pretty sure he was just referring to the competitive spirit. And by that way, that is a GREAT idea to have wood cutting competitions and the like. I had forgot how fund the fishing competitions were in some other games.

8. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Thing is that competitive spirit will happen even between leatherworkers, woodcutters, carpenters, weaponsmith, etc etc etc , also. For them its a competition about skills and price. My point is that even those kind of characters are in kind of a PvP even if it don't mean killing each other. So the reason for roleplay might be many even if killing have nothing to do with it.

I have several accounts (and will be able to have at least two characters per account) and at least one of them will be a farmer that actually will be married to my real life wife that have her own account. We will do a lot of roleplaying and none of those characters will come close to PvP. On the other hand will my most played characters be flagged for PvP and also be roleplaying, actually anyone not properly roleplaying or constantly be OOC will be a target.

So the whole:
    I was referring to is so far you can come from the truth. So far, bear in mind the game is in alpha, I have found more PvE players roleplaying that I have PvP players. I see no difference whatsoever in role playing reasons between the groups.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So, PvP to you is a method by which to attempt to force those who play differently from you to conform to what you wish?

Heavy Smoker likes this.
  10. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Well I will have many targets but those in my vicinity that break immersion will definitely be targets, they must be aliens or some other kind of devil spawns...

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So, you're judge, jury, and executioner on what is right and proper role play.
    Thanks for the information.

You know, don't you, that every Player in Shroud of the Avatar is someone displaced from Earth... Standing around talking about Football (either flavor) would be perfectly in character.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  12. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Would it? I mean if you are speaking of football that happened before you entered SotA perhaps but even that is a stretch since you lost you clearly have lost your memory or else we would have totally different technology level ingame. I for one would make gunpowder as soon I see others running around with swords.

No I haven't read the whole backstory yet, I will read it all when the game get to a proper release.

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Potassium nitrate, Sulfur powder, and Charcoal powder. Are these available in SotA? Is a ball available in SotA?

14. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

See thats the thing... The "Best" players will be good/great at every aspect of the game.. Much like in Ultima Online where some of the "Best" players can play any template, and or style and still dominate.

Keff likes this.
  15. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Sorry, player was incorrect for me to say. I mean character. And there will be no ONE character that will be best at every aspect of the game.

16. Luka Melehan

Luka Melehan Avatar

I play UO on Siege Perilous. On that shard, there is no Trammel. Learning how to survive in that environment has been a lot of fun. I am no good at PvP. But it was fun.

Here, the Oracle offers us protection from being murdered. If I wanted to live the quiet life that would be fine. But what if I wanted to stand up for something? Make a difference? Ideally it would be within an PvP environment. Now if I get so griefed that I can't play, I can turn it off. But I really hope I don't have to turn it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.