Why It's Good To Be A Victim

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Zifnab Strongarm, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

True, but I think I met more players that way then anything else. :)

2. NZIGNANTI

NZIGNANTI Avatar

He's not a odd duck, you are more odd if anything. Risk Vs Reward is what we are after here.. Has anyone told you that your linear planned out game style with no risk makes you boring? He's not in minority.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  3. Robby

Robby Avatar

Im number 3. Danger is cool in an MMO world.

4. Robby

Robby Avatar

I absolutely want an open pvp world were lumberjacks and miners are all in the same realm for murderers to prey upon. Do I want it forced upon you all? Well..... that's the easy conclusion to jump to. Lets say this game has no "pvp slider" to it and we all are in the same felucca based world. Im not forcing you to purchase the game off the shelf. If you backed the game, you realize that not everything will go your way. Ive realized this myself and backed the game anyway, because I think it will be fun regardless, because RG knows what hes doing. The developers cant create a game made specifically for me because... That wouldn't be good for business. Im sure there would be a number of players willing to play this game with me though. Theres always plenty on the private UO servers.

To be honest, it is NOT good to be the victim. I hate being the victim in a full loot PvP world, but I want the possibility to be there regardless of the fact that I don't like it.
    Back when I was playing the good ol' super Mario bros, super Mario world, and Yoshi's island I just hated moments when I would happen to jump and fall into a pit, or if I lost Yoshi, or got touched by a goomba and lost my firepower. It was especially annoying when the cloud man dropped the lakuhita on my head and I missed the one ups and fireflower on my way to the end of the level. Its just like in UO... no one wants to be the victim even pro loot pvpers like myself. But the goal of the game is to not become the victim, its a blast! Till you become the victim(fall off the cliff or have a lakuhita dropped on your head in the Mario bros) the game is a blast anyway. But what do you do? Get rezzed try again and be more stealthy or improve your fighting skills(or in the case of Mario bros, get better at dodging lakuhita and pits).

So yea, I hate being a victim! Ill do everything I can to avoid becoming a victim. But, I don't want the position of "victim" to be edited out of the game. It more than likely will be though. Unfortunately for me =(. Best not to cry, I got a nice home with a five story basement tools of prosperity, and a nice cozy fun cooperative environment to play in with my friends and other players the game will be a great way to blow my spare time anyway.

NZIGNANTI and TemplarAssassin like this.
  5. Robby

Robby Avatar

Yes victims. That's what we want.
    If im not going to get player victims gimme some great NPC victims. Ones that try to run and escape, not ones that melee with you and go "guards guards help me help me". I want NPC victims that act just like players, that randomly spawn in the forest or mining area and they mine and lumberjack(no they don't actually collect ore veins or wood because that would make mining tough for the players). And these NPC victims better have some good loots on them, good enough to flag me for open PvP in the "trammel" world so that blue players will be tempted to attack me and collect a reward for my head. Don't think you can beat me?? Don't attack me.

6. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Ok, so here's the entire convo in quotes, as it currently appears in the thread. I responded to the OP, you said that "PVE you shouldn't be able to flick over to PVP and back, so to fix the problem if you go PVP you stay PVP, if you go PVE you stay PVE!", and "In turn you can get your delicate resources and not have to worry about being attacked, which takes some of the threat level off, if there are wandering monsters!"
    I asked what these resources I'd be getting were, because I think there is an uncontrolled hemorrhage occurring in your brain, and you've confused every aspect of the issue in one supremely incomprehensible post. But I could be wrong.
    You then reply that it's something RG said (which it isn't, his quote talked about people getting some extra resource if the were flagged FOR PvP, not if they weren't).

I still don't know why you refer to them as DELICATE resources, that sounds to me like bitter sarcasm, only, since it's the PvP players who will get them, after hacking through one another in an epic festival of mutual amputation, I don't think that makes the resources very delicate, and I still don't get how you think the PvE players will get them, or want them, or will care that they exist.

Sir Avorin Swftslay likes this.
  7. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Look at that, you're making your own list! Good for you! Now you guys should all join a guild together so you can find each other in game!

You can have your PvP fest with your friends!

8. Ara

Ara Avatar

Thats why i enjoyed playing a gatherer in UO felucca.

It gave a thrill to me to try beat the odds and looking over my shoulder for that red name appearing on my screen was always exiting.

Those kind of feelings would never appear in the ever safe world of trammel.

TemplarAssassin and jondavis like this.
  9. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

Age of Conan has a system for this. Mob levels and loot scaled with the party level in dungeons.
    You could also "apprentice" lower leveled characters. Lets say you were level 50. Your friend wants to join in on some area you were running around in and he was level 15. You party up and "apprentice" the lower level player. It bumped there level up to 1 below yours the entire time you were partied. It raised up raw stats. Str, Con, Dex etc. Along with HP and MP. The con to it was you didn't get the talent points and whatnot.

10. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

This thread is kinda funny. Like almost all the other threads about PvP.

It is the same six people espousing the same rhetoric over and over in support of PvP.

Very funny read. Cheers.

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You might be right about the overland map, but there is another possibility for them for hosting the overland map. If the overland map is not an instance "hosted by another player", then the map could be hosted individually on each of our own desktops. If that were the case we all would only get specific information sent to us from the game server pinpointing the locations of other players. That isn't much data. It would still be able to show only PvP flagged players, or whatever is relevant to us.

There might be a benefit for them doing that. The Portarium server would only have to let us know where a certain number of people are on the map that are relevant to us (and not every person that is relevant to us, but are on parts of the map we don't see). Then we can choose to run over to them and the encounter could cause us to enter an encounter instance based on the terrain (if the other guy was still in the overland map) or we could choose to enter the hex instance if he entered one.

To clerify, I'm stating that inside a hex or a combat instance created from an encounter would definitely be an instance that is hosted by one of the player's computers. In contrast I'm picturing the possibility that the overland map as completely hosted by each person's computer, and the Portalarium server would then add some locations of players (in our current visual range) in the outdoor map that it believes is relevant to us. That would only be a few bytes of data back and forth so it's not going to tax the Portalarium servers that much.

It may not be handled that way, but it's a possibility.

12. Ara

Ara Avatar

I counted it to be +10.

Could say the same about players on the other side, it's the same people over and over.

Kinda funny indeed.

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I'll restate it just for completeness reasons: Losing does not make you a victim.

Looking at SotA through the prism of UO is hardly an efficient process. In UO, you could find a player that did not have combat skills because they chose to have more crafting/gathering skills or skills that support them (hiding).

With SotA having crafting and combat separate it sets the equilibrium is different. Someone out gathering while PvP is going to have some kind of combat skills. Full PvP or optional PvP, makes no difference. The UO Prism can not be used the same but the one factor that remains is the type of player that chooses to abstain from PvP, for what ever reason. Someone fully involved with PvP attacking someone that abstains is creating the victim environment.

A victim does have a choice, they can find a way to carry on within the game, or they can quit. No matter how much people wish it, not everyone will get the PvP bug. If it's forced upon those people they will leave - unacceptable.

Selective Multiplayer separating these two extremes is a viable options, obviously there are areas of concerns. Such as the flip flopping of PvP and non PvP to avoid losing. But logging off or recalling is no different than going non PvP (in the scope of avoiding losing at PvP), there are answer for those situations and it does not need to be a blanket no recalling and no logging off. Just as there is no need for a blanket all in PvP.

Isaiah, Jambot and jondavis like this.
  14. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I like that you mentioned the overhead map. Lets devote 1 hex and color it red to just PvP. Put in there dead trees and nothing else. Cool for the l33t dudez!

;)

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

well your going to have to go through the videos and see for yourself what i was talking about. RG was talking about a pve person having to go to a pvp area to get some kind of resource, he didnt mention what it was. So in order to get that particular resource you would have to go pvp for that particular "quest", but it was something you would'nt "Need"! But rather crave for for whatever reason, but he did say that in one of the videos. It seems that all you want to do is, argue!? and condescend on people! For some reason you also seem to get away with it, a lot more often than most! Not all of us wish to have just a PVE game! SO my solution to that would be let thePVE people not have to worry about going through us PVP people, instead have some creatures or what not you have to beat in order to get that particular resource! I dont know how to make it any clearer than that.

16. Robby

Robby Avatar

Yea, over and over the PvP topic continues, and over and over someone tells us "you guys are talking about the same thing over and over"....
    Its fun and interesting! Of course its going to be discussed over and over. Theres a section of threads titled "pvp", then theres one titled "crafting" another titled "npc's and companions". The purpose is to discuss, discuss, discuss these topics. Only limitation is the combination of all our imaginations.

17. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

been there, seen it, recognized it instantly when you started misquoting it.
    right about here is where you goofed up your logic, since IF YOU WOULD KINDLY READ YOUR OWN POSTS you put this snippet right after the suggestion that being PvE or PvP was a persistent, permanent, and unalterable condition (Yes, all the in the context of one quote trailing conversation with me, in this thread, which you are still perpetuating)
    no, actually I was honestly confused and willing to accept the idea that you WEREN'T botching two mutually exclusive ideas together, for all I knew you had devised an awesome and devious solution to the problem
    that reason is that I don't call people names, I don't troll, I don't spam, and I am very careful to speak the truth to the best of my knowledge and ability. I also suspect that some of the mods think I have a cute butt, and I may or may not be an outgageous liar.
    including me, as it happens, though I for one am quite satisfied by what I've heard the actual DEVS are planning in regards to PvP, and suspect that I'll be quite happy and active in the game's PvP
    THERE!!! Was that so hard to say? Do you realize that this is the first time you've actually quantified that??? I seriously honest-to-God did not know if that was part of your plan, or if you in fact HAD a plan, hence my careful questioning of you in regards to this idea
    I'll bet you a shiny quarter that *I* could make it clearer.

Really blaquerogue, I don't attack people just to attack them, and usually only get even mildly sarcastic only when someone is being difficult with me. If I ask you a question it's a bonafide attempt to clarify, in the hopes that not only will I benefit from your answer, but anyone else who was also wondering what I was wondering will then find you answering the question, get what they needed, and keep going.

I am sorry if you feel I was rough here, I agree that I might have been more patient, or just let the issue drop, but then I still wouldn't know what you were talking about, and I kinda wanted to.

18. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Which I totally agree with, except, no one is saying anything new. Its the same devices/mechanics over and over, like Ara said, both sides.

I prefer discourse to be constructive and actually grow solutions rather than beat the same solutions to death. Doesn't mean I have any input, just saying the read of these threads is the same thing, over and over, nothing new.

Be innovative.

19. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

Each person thinks their own ideas are innovative, and has trouble understanding why no-one else sees this. If only everyone could just recognize that I have the perfect solution, put me on Portalarium's payroll, and let me handle it we'd be past all this; but, for some reason, no-one seems to understand!

blaquerogue likes this.
  20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

This sentence possibly could have been put together better or left out totally for the reader (ME) to not be taken aback by it! (im quoting what you wrote!) "because I think there is an uncontrolled hemorrhage occurring in your brain, and you've confused every aspect of the issue in one supremely incomprehensible post." The last time i did exactly what you did here, i was pulled into a conversation with the Dev and scolded for it! So you have to understand my statement about "how you seem to get away with it"! It's not just you either! There are also others that get away with it, pretty regularly! The minute we retort, we are pulled into Dev chat! That's pretty Bias in my opinion! Maybe its because, I'm not so fast to hit that "report" button when whats said to me seems offensive!?

My solution is perma PVP or perma PVE! With the same exact resources, but different scenarios PVP will have to fight for it through monsters and PVPrs, and PVE will just have to fight for it through in game monsters to get it. That was my solution to the whole issue. It seems that if we have PVE and PVP playing together there will always be some sort of argument, whose way is better! Its never ending! I just wanted to clear that up with you as to where it went from constructive ideas/messages to personal degradation!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.