Why It's Good To Be A Victim

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Zifnab Strongarm, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

We have finally come to an agreement!

2. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

If everything that SEEMED offensive was banned, we'd none of us be able to type. Seeming is in the perception of the audience, IMPLYING is in the words of the writer. I agree that my wording was extreme, sadly I am an extreme person, so it does have the advantage of having reflected my actual feelings. I really really did think that your initial responses were severely disjointed, even enough to indicate a mini-stroke. People have them FAR more often than has been thought in the last few decades, and a susceptible individual can have dozens in the course of the week. By their very nature, the victim does not notice anything is wrong, even as his actions or words seem disjointed and irrational to his audience. I have since tracked down the missing information, which you are now including, which makes most of what you wrote make SO much more sense.

Yes, I did get your meaning at the end, it has some merit I like the part about having solved the eternal war; but don't forget players like me, and of course that Garriott guy, who seem to feel that being PvE shouldn't prevent someone from crossing the line now and again. Also, what IS it that makes these resources DELICATE?

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I am not saying this is a bad options, it's just not a great one. There are plenty of people that will be wanting to be in both worlds, but not at the same time. I PvP, my friends do not, your solution segregates us. It's no different than having 2 different servers.

Separate servers is not required (virtual or otherwise) in a Meta Server setup. The system can sort that out.

I would rather see some system in place to slow the process of dropping PvP. Specifically, a story oriented method, such as visiting the magistrate and paying a fine (very very generic example). The magistrate looks at your record (moral system check, possibly) and sets a fine level. If your fine is too high, the magistrate could deny your request until you show some effort that you are amending your ways. Maybe some tasks could be given and those tasks would require you to be journey a long distance, leaving you open to PvP for a while.

This requires you to visit town to leave PvP, and if you have been at it for a long time it will take longer, and it will prevent you from hiding until you are clear.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  4. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I'll admit that I jump into too many of these kinds of threads.
    There are a few lines I hear all the time that cause some of this.
    Here are a few.
    1. No one wants to be the victim
    2. People kept playing UO because it was the only MMO out there at the time
    3. Trammel proves that players don't like open PVP

So yes I have a hard time ignoring these lines since I know it's not the truth.

Zifnab Strongarm likes this.
  5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Delicate in a fashion its supposedly a hook to get people to experience pvp, i dont know what the resource may be but everyone seems to think from what ive read that its a must to have when it was stated, that it isnt something you really need, just something to complete a quest

6. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I like everything about this except the implication that participating in PvP is a crime. I could see some sort of check that procs for unrepentant PK's, but if you were out tearing it up in what all players would have described as fun, competitive PvP, effectively consensual PvP, there shouldn't be a monetary penalty for switching back, unless it is a truly nominal one.

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I will give you that, this example was from the criminal perspective. It was a quick example not an all inclusive one. More methods of controlling the switch out of PvP can be used, if needed.

A town that is a haven for PvP is under siege by the main bad guy, he is there in force, with mercenaries (PvP player willing to side with him) PvP players wanting to defend their haven can fend off the siege. Someone decides it's time to move on, they can't turn off PvP until they travel to a city that is not a PvP haven.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  8. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

vic·tim
    ˈviktəm/
    noun
    noun: victim; plural noun: victims

a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action.
    synonyms: sufferer, injured party, casualty

The idea that it's "good" to be a victim is only even potentially valid if you come at it from the approach of "PvP is fun". There are a significant number of players who do not agree with that basic assumption. No amount of arguing or convincing or tempting or anything else will convince them that PvP is fun. And frankly, threads like this popping up every few days makes it less appealing to them, not more.

I don't think anyone who has really been a victim in real life could ever agree that 'being a victim is a good thing'.

And when did "a sense of personal hatred" become something to aspire to? -.-

Anyway, I'll duck back out, just had to add my 2 cents, as this thread and others like it make me a bit sad.

9. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

I phrased my wording poorly, The gentleman explained in fond terms the hatred he cultivated towards the PK's MOST people here so far do not seem to be interested in the PvP/PK thing (at least not to fanatical levels). Pretend danger from AI is one thing, but wanting to actually feel hate and anger (presumably generated by other real humans)...nope, not part of a healthy past time.

I am in fact an odd duck, In many ways. But as for being wrong... I have a lot of likes that seem to indicate I am not in a minority.
    My assessments of the various thoughts on the subject are my own opinions, I am not intentionally trying to make people feel bad about their choices
    Im just commenting from a different perspective from theirs. My comments are no worse or better than the ones I am commenting on.

Edit: I will say I am quite glad Ill be able to for the most part skip PvP entirely. No One will EVER be able to prove it is ever good to be a victim...not to me.

Edit 2: In the future if the Pro PvP people want to start a thread where they do not want their opinions challenged, they should label the thread appropriately.

Xandra7 likes this.
  10. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

How so?..

11. NZIGNANTI

NZIGNANTI Avatar

As I strongly disagree with the darkly definition and usage of PvP as of late. This is indeed a PvP thread. I care not for your boasting on about your own status quo on these forums. You have likes, but have thee awarded a cookie? Just now you challenge our opinions. Right after saying you’re NOT doing so, you finished with your self labeled valiance. With all due respect, you are not immune to the rules set in place here. Will the high-horse intellectual jargon on human nature have some sort of cleansing effect on us? We want a player driven justice system not just PvP per se this generations ugly definition. Not a difficult concept, other than people not wanting it for personal grieving reasons. I say again, this is sadly a PvP thread indeed. The like-minded as I will spread our opinions and label them inlay “PvP thread.” Even as the demonized definition be not what you think. You will read and disagree and as always have something to say about it. No hard feelings. Nobody feels bad about their own opinions that is why these forums get so hot in the first place.;)

Deathblow likes this.
  12. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Мy ideas aren't innovative! They're 15 years old!

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The other part of the statement was a slight example. "In UO, you could find a player that did not have combat skills because they chose to have more crafting/gathering skills or skills that support them (hiding)."

In SotA, you will never run across someone that is without combat abilities. There proficiency and skill are still unknown but they will have them none the less. This is only one over all dynamic change, throwing off the prism (one small facet in this example)

How many other dynamics are different in SotA that will alter the over all scope of the game?

When you build systems you start with simple stable foundations and build on them. Looking at SotA through the UO prism is kind of like taking a building(UO) off it's foundation to place it on a different foundation(SotA). Then step back and say look, if we shove a wedge here and prop up a few things there it should hold.

Sir Avorin Swftslay likes this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

This is in the PVP forums right?

15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Here you go!

6.delicate - difficult to handle; requiring great tact; "delicate negotiations with the big powers";"hesitates to be explicit on so ticklish a matter"; "a touchy subject"
    ticklish, touchy
    difficult, hard - not easy; requiring great physical or mental effort to accomplish or comprehend or endure; "a difficult task"; "nesting places on the cliffs are difficult of access"; "difficult times"; "why is it so hard for you to keep a secret?"
    That highlighted part in particular!

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Honestly if people are going to play this game PVE, they really don't need to comment in the PVP forums! I know you have a right to but,..... There is nothing a PVE'r can add or suggest in a PVP forum, face it you are not a PVPr! You have no clue whats best for PVP or really how it works! Its obvious for some of you! For instance, PK and PVP are so totally different, but you group them as one! So you want to try out PVP!? Awesome! Make friends with a PVP'r, go running around with him and his friends (In PVP mode) and see what its like! A normal PVP'r doesn't go out and hunt down the weakest player in the game, they normally play the environment and don't attack others unless provoked or they set up battles between each other and Guilds or hunt down rivals! On the other hand a PK'r will more than likely kill you where you stand! For whatever resources or gold you may have on your person!..and the final player is the PKK (which is what i play) If someone happens to be ganked for no reason the "Player killer, killer" will probably hunt that Pkr down, we don't need you to say "So and so killed me for no reason!, or So and so keeps camping me!" If we hear of it we are on the hunt! It is in our nature to kill off all PKrs, so we hunt them! So please PVE'rs hold your comments! We as PVPrs are not going to come into your PVE world and tell you how you should play your character! We honestly could care less as PVP'rs what goes on over there! We love to play PVP, PKR, PKK and we also want to enjoy the game as much as you do!

We as PVP'rs are really not trying to get you PVE'rs to change your game play! But like you, we also want to enjoy the game like we're used to playing!

I just like this color!

17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I just want you to know i never did that on my PKK! I never rez killed either! I did have some honor! Sheesh!

I did have a blue that killed reds, but like you when i was red at that point, i didn't go into town! So in essence after i killed a PK'r i became a Pkr myself, temporarily. But the difference was i killed that PKr for killing either me or one of my friends or ganking a weak guy because they could! Its ok to play evil as well as a good character! after i did that i had to go to the shrine and say "I must Consider my sins!" I felt and and still feel like im doing the right thing!
    I don't just go out and gank people for no reason, there were also reds i would just walk on by and do nothing to and vice versus! Without the PK'r i couldn't play my type of character!

18. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

When the PvPers quit turning about 90% of the threads into PvP discussions or pushing that the whole world should be PvP enforced all the time, maybe the PvEers will quit feeling the need to comment on PvP topics... ;)

(Not saying you are/do, just saying that even though I don't consider myself avidly anti-PvP, I mostly steer clear of PvP topics... except when they involve one of those two scenarios. )

Silent Strider likes this.
  19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I definitely don't think you should be forced to play either PVP or PVE ! I try not to comment on a PVE threads because, their wants are different than what i want! Also as a PVP player i too will be playing the world so i also like to comment on what needs to be there (besides pvp)! If i did comment on a PVE thread about PVP it was purly accidental!

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think i may have worded something wrong back in the threads saying " If you PVP you need to stay perma PVP and if your PVE you need to stay perma PVE! (i think thats a solution to the issues between the two) I think us PVP'rs worry that a PVE may come over in PVP land, attack people then log out or slide the slider thing to non pvp, when they realize maybe they bit off more than they could and escape the kill via Slider! so i hope they have a time limit or something to handle that! So you cant escape if you start something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.