Why It's Good To Be A Victim

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Zifnab Strongarm, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

oh no! definitely not there will be others as well besides just the PVE people. :) If youve ever been in a PVP, PKr setting you realize some people just cheat and exploit, and it sucks! So definitely not just PVE people. :)

Lord Gréagóir likes this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

And that is a big reason for people to never want to PvP. I have heard it from many of my friends, "I'd PvP with you but those people just cheat and exploit, and it sucks!"

Sure they are probably over romanticizing the sentiment and using it as an excuse to not get their butt stomped but still.

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Act with Virtue:
    Treat others as you would want to be treated. We are all people united under the same banner, with similar hopes and many different opinions. Show respect for one another, disagree with grace, and offer opinions with humility. And sheath those swords… there are absolutely no personal attacks allowed.

Speak with Virtue:
    We are a community with many voices, but remember to watch thy tongue when it comes to profanity, racism, religion, or derogatory attacks on other people and/or their ideas. Speak responsibly and post responsibly or ye will find thyself banned.

Speak with Clarity and Truth:
    Keep your posts focused and on topic. No one enjoys reading walls of text and a discussion about ethical parables is not the place for a dissertation about your high-school years. Also, please keep the self-promotion of guilds, websites in the Town Hall section of the forums.

Be not a Troll:
    Do not purposefully patronize others or make posts designed to instigate an argument. Our goal is to create a great community for a great game, not to pummel each other with virtual sticks and stones.

Spam not thy Kingdom:
    Do not post unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials or any other form of solicitation. Likewise, keep posts on topic and in the proper forums. Consistently strong-arming others into the same discussion, or repeatedly posting the same ideas/opinions in multiple threads/forums may also be considered spamming and should be avoided.

Participate in thy Kingdom:
    Lord British wants to hear from you! We want Shroud of the Avatar to be a truly collaborative effort, so please share your ideas! Sometimes great ideas are born in the most innocuous comment or suggestion, so be sure to add your voice to the conversation.
    Please feel free to report any community violations at Community@portalarium.com.

4. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Well... now that I think of it I had an idea about UO back then. That we should have 700 skill points like it is now, but only for primary skills. Some skills would be "secondary" and there would be some 200 points for them. Like arms lore. And some skills would be even more "secondary" (dunno the right enlgish word for th at) like taste ID, cooking, fishing and there would be around 200-300 points for such skills.
    This way we could have way more developed chararacters without making the game, the pvp and pve imbalanced.

jondavis likes this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

If that is how you want it. Sure, that works for me.

[crossout]And don't call me Butthurt. That is not nice. ;). [/crossout]. On mobile that comes across differently with the talkatap app. So my mistake and my apologies. I was not trying to make you feel bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk << I am on mobile so a lot of the special [/xxx] don't show up on my end...

6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

No not at all everyone should be able to say what they want! I was just saying that this is a PVP forum, i want everyone to express what they feel about it all!

MagiK likes this.
  7. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Sorry but most PVE content is still in the PVP world.
    You could be asking for a simple thing like an Ignore button for PVE.
    Whoa wait that might mess with PVP.
    So we turn it into a PVP thread instead.
    I don't see the problem. :)

blaquerogue and TemplarAssassin like this.
  8. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Cool beans... I think Ill step back and just watch for a bit. I am not advocating that PVP be unavailable to those who wish to play in that mode.
    Some times I read what some people post and I wonder at the motivations are.....but I dont always understand why people do what they do or want what they want.

For now Our Play options are "Single Player Offline", "Single Player Online", "Friends Only Online", "Multiplayer Online"

blaquerogue likes this.
  9. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

So, if I forget my table manners around this resource or in any way suggest that I don't wish to marry it's sister it will start a war with me?

No, but seriously, so what you meant was that the resource would be really difficult to obtain, thus setting it's value. If it's a pure status symbol, I'm guessing most PvE players will ignore it.

Now, I CAN see an AWESOME raid concept here, the loot is the resource node, the reason we want it is that you can craft slightly better gear with it, there are (in the PvE shard of this at least) wandering monsters that are, say, 10 times as powerful as a standard player character, requiring raid tactics and specialized roles to combat, but more than that, the things drop like, piss poor loot. They spawn fast enough that you need to be burning them down fairly quick, they all wander right over the node if not stopped, and so in ADDITION to the standard raid team, you might benefit from CC's, Pullers, and of course, a team of players mining the everliving finagle out of the node. Maybe the node itself actually drops a debuff on you that prevents gathering for like, 30 seconds, and gives you MASSIVE increased damage. Thus a rotation of miners, two or more defense teams, a group of healers circling the inner perimeter, and several skilled CC/Kite players who pick up monsters that the inner teams aren't ready for yet, how long can you keep the dance going? Maybe set it to increase the spawn rate with the number of players in the area and with the time spent there, so that you need to gather as fast as you can, as hard as you can, for as long as you can, and then pull off a tactical retreat... I can see that being a nice open raid to introduce the PvE community to each other.

Thanks for the idea, Blaquerogue.

Ned888 and blaquerogue like this.
  10. Orladin

Orladin Avatar

You're joking right? I don't know about you but I've seen PVE players put in insane amounts of time getting useless gear in quite a few games. From holiday "vanity gear" to mounts. So they can literally play barbie dress up with their characters and bank sit dressed up as Santa, in a tux and top hat or whatever else you can think of.

"I'd equip that piece of armor and raise my stats and all but it looks terrible and goes against my "theme" " quotes inside of quotes.
    My character's a "dragonmaster" so in order to become a man and whatnot to the other "dragonmasters" he/she has to dominate all the dragons and have them as mounts. Showing his true dominance and mastery over a superior powered creature (aka collecting mounts with insane grinding)
    Pet collecting...........

So yes they will and in fact do collect things that are considered status symbols that have absolutely no use.

blaquerogue and NZIGNANTI like this.
  11. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

@Orladin, that has nothing to do with being PvE, I've seen plenty of PvP players doing just the same, showing off their new noncombat pets in fights, and I mean using a crowd control effect to get the time to change pets, repeatedly, in the same fight. It's true that being an RP devotee can encourage this behavior, but it's not guaranteed, and for my part, if it requires a massive bit of effort and doesn't actually help me in my quests, tasks, or tales, then I'll leave it til I have nothing better to do.

blaquerogue likes this.
  12. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I think this thread is dead. Unfortunately it has been decided by a few that other opinions are not valuable or necessary. I guess a conversation has to be one sided or no sided....

Comments like the above are directly contrary to the facts. If one wished to hear all others opinions, one would not attempt to restrict access to threads and start other threads with the same content but LABELLED AS NO PVE PLAYERS!!! Sorry, I don't do the colors, I think it's obnoxious.

Now, on to the thread! I am once again interested in the argument of why it is good to be a victim. I'm not convinced, but here's what I got so far:

For the price of an rush and possibly some psychological scarring, I get my gear and gold looted so I have to go back and spend more money to get reequipped and possibly spend even more money to hire someone who enjoys the rush mentioned above to accompany me around the game in a protective capacity. All this so I can enjoy the game....

That does not sound like a recipe that will attract players at all. Am I missing something?

Xandra7 and Sir Avorin Swftslay like this.
  13. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

OOOORRRR you could devolve into comedic outtakes....

14. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Again so I know who the good and bad guys are.
    You might not care who you play with in the game.
    I like to know if they want to rob me or help me.

How do you know someone is evil if you don't let them play that way?

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  15. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Evil is like water flowing over and between the stones of life. It always finds its way, even the smallest crack, the tinyest opening is enough for the liquid of evil to flow trough it.

So there's gonna be enough evil in the PvE lands.
    People robbing clean the guilds' vaults..
    People betraying secrets.
    And so on.
    PvE people, beware.
    There's no escaping evil, no denying it. Evil is omnipresent and its agents will follow you anywhere no matter where you chose to hide in a vain attempt to escape grief.
    Your guild vaults aren't safe. Your secrets aren't safe. And tho your loot and your lives are, you will still suffer as the agents of evil deliver sweet suffering to your doorstep.

16. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

But I thought PvP wasn't exclusively evil. From the discussion at hand, there are quite a few who want to be 'good' PvP players. PvE people are probably not going to be a viable source of opponents/targets for PK as they will most likely be able to filter out those they don't want in the multi-player experience. What is going to happen if the 'good' PvP crowd outnumbers/out powers the 'evil' PvP crowd? Is there a plan to keep that balanced or is there the potential that 'evil' PvP could actually be vanquished?

Imagine if the PK's got so sick of being ganked that they actually stopped being PKs!

17. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Not that I care much.

I'm interested enough in game design to take a good look at the systems behind player interaction, have enough practice at reverse engineering to determine the potential consequences for the most part, and I'm paranoid enough that I don't leave myself open to potential abuse. I've had problems with PvE griefers perhaps a couple times in almost a decade of playing MMOs, and that was mostly long ago in games whose rules actually enabled such griefing, so I don't think I will have any issues here.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

In all actuality you probably wont have to pay a lot to someone that you hire to throw down protection so you can get your stuff! Maybe a little of the resource, for payment, i cant imagine a high price when you get a security team together? Probably a bunch of friends that do that to play THEIR game the way they want, and to CO-Exist, with what you want play! There may be times we just do what we do without payment! I dont see a problem with that unless you think you way of play is the only way to play!? We will be happy to let you fall at the roadside dead, if you enjoy that instead?! Not once have i said that you cant post anywhere, based on your game play!!! Not once! Just pointing out that it is a PVP thread, not a PVE one! Contrary to what you believe, I dont care, and neither to the rest of us PVP'rs care about what you put in a PVP thread! If it looks interesting and has validity, we'll probably read your post, if its constant PVP hating then we will probably skip right over that particular post or sit here and argue with you whatever seems to fulfill our needs or wants personally! But by all means post away, we are all good with that!

Now on my recent forum, I use colors because i want to, nothing else to that! To give a warning on a thread i think is respectful, to you as aPVE!? That way when some people respond to what you write you've already been warned on how it MAY turn out! Oh Also if you read past the main purpose of the thread (What PVP, PK,PKKR) wants, you would've realized it was fine if you put something in there as PVE! But that thread was generated for PVP types to mention things that THEY want in the game! It doesn't necessarily mean for us to place thinks like PVP is the only way to play! It is ideas from a pvp point of view and if we cant even do that, then everything you have posted and advocated is contradictory to what you have been writing! Everyone having a a voice! If you are only PVE, then how in the hell are you going to know what a PVP'r wants!? You can start your own thread "What PVE'rs Want" at anytime!

Your welcome!

19. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I would argue that any sort of 'anti-pk' who accepts bodyguard work would want to be compensated accordingly. I doubt that they will stand around for free waiting for you to collect ore for hours. You sure do have a rosy view of the world though don't you? If only it were that nice.

For the record, I Raid, I do PvP Battlegrounds and 5-Man's in several games and I do PvP in many other forms in many games.

I am not concerned with just myself and my gameplay. I am concerned with the history of PvP interaction and how it has damaged games in the past. My posts are directly related to that perspective, and I am voicing my concern for the community overall. I don't care who wants to be an anti-pk or who wants to be a murderer, or who wants to be a sneaky thief. I'm concerned with what those roles mean to the overall game and the game's success.

20. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

As an interesting exercise, everyone who likes PvP (including me) head over to the message boards for Champions Online and check out their PvP issues! The dev team over there went so far trying to balance PvP that there is literally NO ONE queued up for that game ever. I mean they literally drove PvP out of the game. Sad really because I used to love doing those free for alls and 5-mans in that game.

They did have a very large problem with FOTM builds but they didn't really address that, instead they just kept nerfing and making the PvE adds in the PvP areas harder and harder.

The Zombie Apocalypse PvP arena used to be so fun. Now it's not even used.

Worst part is I bought a lifetime sub during pre-release. Now it's almost worthless! :D Edit: I did the same for The Secret World, and I'm worried about that game's future as well.... I have bad intuition concerning my lifetime subs ;)

Yeah, I'm very concerned with the state of PvP which is why I intensely support my position.

P.S. - Sorry to the moderators, I don't want to redirect traffic or anything, but I wanted to give some interesting fodder for the conversation.

Sir Avorin Swftslay likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.