Why oh why devs... PvP zones and forcing people to go there, idiotic.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Khaza, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

What I want is that if they add a zone for PvP, then they add one equal for PvE.
    And also changed so the PvP bonus from killing mobs should be exclusive to PvP zones.

2. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

Problem tho is if you have reagents, food and perhaps got loot while in the zone.

Chatele likes this.
  3. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

There is a way to unstack items in inventory like arrows to minimize looting. He also talks about carrying around junk items also.

4. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

I know all about that, but if you are a spellcaster and don't want your inventory cluttered with 1000 stacks to prevent loosing so much. You have nothing in PvP areas to do. Also count in the time it takes to split into all those stacks.

Beno Ledoux, FrostII and Chatele like this.
  5. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Apparently you haven't done any of the quests which are all in single person with no PVP....

6. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

Sure have probably done all quests availible... And you?
    And what I meant was that if they made Blood Bay, The Fall, Ruins and Shardfalls all into PvE zones...

7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Hi there,

I think you are looking at this the wrong way about.

First disclosure: I'm a casual social player so I'm not really part of the "PvP People".

But this strange narrative that the devs would be "just ignoring the non-PvP community" isn't really backed up by the dev blogs, the hangouts nor the features we see in game. So I don't really understand where this feeling is coming from.
    Adding a few features catering to a specific demographic happens all the time for all the demographics. Crafters get new recipes, adventurers get new uncloned scenes, new user polish, quests gets added, trade UI updates etc etc. Just check out the current R41 release notes:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/release-41-instructions.87761/
    Of that whole list of what is in the release, less than 2% can be construed as catering to the PvP demographic. The remaining 98% is about the rest of us.

This is similar in every release with a 0-5% PvP catering.

If you don't believe me then just check out the Player Instructions:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z-svq1OvcZwViqGxFCKdjH3NCn2LTfLuGny5qaAqjTM/pub
    You can easily see that PvP is a very minor part of the whole game experience.

Which means that the PvP demographic has more basis for their narrative that they are being ignored rather than the other way around. Now mind you that that narrative is of course equally false since those 0-5% prove that the devs aren't ignoring them either.

So my advice is to turn your suggestions around and put them outside of that strange narrative. This since I think that you have some good suggestions in there, but while you blanket them with the martyr narrative then they are less likely being heard due to the signal to noise ratio from the inevitable fallout of the discussions.

Switch from (paraphrasing):
    It's unfair that mob X is in PvP scene Y, why am I being forced to PvP?
    Instead in a seperate post in the R41 feedback forum put:
    Please put mob X in scene Y (non-PvP) so that everyone can experience it.
    This puts the emphasis and the imperative on the correct wish >> that you want the mob available for everyone which means it should also be in non-PvP zones.
    This means you will have much better luck in getting your wishes come true. This since being a small dev team and having too little diversity in mobs is an issue they are facing, then suggestions of using existing assets to benefit the whole community is an easy sale. (...and already planned if the mobs are related to Bloodbay which is a feature petri lab).

If you really want to know then that is not the reasoning.
    Instead there are three bonuses to counter the unbalance that Single Player Online players earn more XP and Loot due to less competition for the resources.
    So we have:
    1. a multiplayer XP bonus
    2. a party XP bonus
    3. a flagged PVP XP bonus
    Where the multiplayer+party XP bonus is much larger than the PvP one.

Neither which fully offsets that you earn more in Single Player Online mode, or as a party in Friends Online mode, where you earn the least if engaging in PvP while hunting for loot and XP.

Thwip, Ancev, Mykll and 13 others like this.
  8. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Single player quest would be the PVE only content you are looking for that is already in the game and many times more available then PVP only content.

Damian Killingsworth likes this.
  9. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

@Spoon And I think you are looking into it from the wrong perspective.

The explorers that will never flag will never see certain areas while those that claim they are PvP oriented have access to everything.
    And that 2% in the notes are like 35% of the update since it includes a whole new zone with new specific mobs only availible there.
    Oh wait, they added a zone for PvEers as well, the Solace Bridge Outskirt... I have been there twice and will never go back there...
    Where is the new zones for high end PvErs? And I am not talking about just polishing existing areas.

IMO they should not add PvP specific zones until they have a working PvP with everything working.
    Until they then I can accept that flagging outside of PvP zones should gives bonus exp.

On the mobs part, they even removed mobs from the PvE content and put it in PvP zones exclusively, look at the Large Crocodiles from which you get the pristine Large Crocodile Head. And now they added Spawn of Sobek to The Fall excusively...

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  10. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

And how many times can you do those quests? 1 time and then never again... So for content talking about quests isn't really working. ;)

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

This seems like a counter productive dialog. I suggested a better way of getting your wishes into the game, while you'd rather perpetuate that strange narrative.
    If you are in that mood then nothing I say will make any difference for you anyway, so while forum PvP can be fun I think this instance just isn't worth it.

12. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

There is actually 0 pvp content in this game there is absolutely no way to level without PVE. PVPers are forced to do PVE content the entire time.

Vox Aquila likes this.
  13. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

The question is why would you have the same thing than the guy that which worked harder than you would have. There is many way to access those pvp zone. I got stolen 2-3 time already being there without knowing a guy was stealthing around and robbing. ;p There is a price to pay, for everyone not only you. And PvP bonus we are getting are pretty much lost if you die, even in pvp. I dont know about you, but if i die i loose 300k exp. How long does it take you to get that much? Now think again ;p

Vox Aquila likes this.
  14. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

What you could do is to make one of those posts out of what is posted on forum and post in the Dev+ part where I for example have no access.

15. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

And that is why I say that the PvP bonus exp should be applied to the PvP areas exclusively, that gives the PvPers more action. :)

Chatele likes this.
  16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I do agree there should not be certain things in game available to only those willing to go pvp, bonus exp and certain drops. Equality will keep complaints like this from happening. When the exp bonus for pvp flagged people came out, most times, if I killed someone pvp flagged, they whined and cried about it, those ones do not understand what that flag really means, they just want exp not pvp.. As well, Had some good players in the guild really upset about it, and had other friends completely leave the game.

As for your cp abusers comment, it was equal, if you played as much as I do, and chose a build like I did, you could have been able to do it too. We all have equal opportunity, we can all be anything we want in this game, we can put in as much time as we want. The fact you want to bash people who have done nothing wrong other then play more, and maybe play a better build, well, you might want to think on that a bit.

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I would love pvp if i had a slight chance.
    I am a sandbox open PvP full loot RPvX if this is possible. It's not and a made my compromise, maybe i'll give it a try in 1 or two years, when things are more balanced and i feel more competetive.
    AtM i focus on other things and let it just be. No PvP for me, i roleplay my fear and weakness and i only go to PvP scenes if i have a lot of protection from others as i also roleplay to not want to loose conscioness aka die :p

@Spoon @Andartianna @Khaza
    To me you all made good points and i agree with all of you, that why i
    found the Brotherhood of the Grey Path, a Path of Neutrality and Sciene, Freedom and Wisdom :D

The wisest we can do is let things be and deal with it as best as we can.

Allways everything changes, we are not supposed to push, force or manipulate the things we nor cannot really influence neither know what the outcome of it would be if we had the power to do it.
    So it's better to stay calm in the middle of all aspects and don't get to much involved and entgangled.

The Seer and Seidmenn has spoken :p

Spoon likes this.
  18. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

Probably alot longer time then it takes for you, since I am not able to solo alot of places.

And as I have written before, PvPers allready have that extra spice from going PvP, so should not need to have bonus exp as well from PvE zones. So add PvP bonus exp to PvP zones exclusively. Which in return drives more PvPers there, which in return gives you more PvP.

Mykll and FrostII like this.
  19. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

I have put in 3138 hours into the game since persitance. I think that is a wee bit more then most. ;)
    And everyone is not min/maxers, so they don't do the BEST build which most high level people uses.

And I am not bashing on those that actually abused CPs and such, it is just that those are the ones that have forced Portalarium to do some really bad choices which hits the lower level people and casual players the worst.
    I even did 1 or 2 hours in one of those groups to gain exp.

FrostII and Schneider DragonFang like this.
  20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Do you know what happens when you go into a PvP zone?

..........Nothing

The vast majority of the time the scenes are empty. When players are present, they are not the type of players who actually attack other players. The PvPers who go out to PvP and hunt players down to PK simply can't be bothered with the game. They play other games...........those who are still part of SotA are sitting back waiting in hope that one day combat will not be so broken and there will be an element of meaning for their play style.

I actually liken the PvPer to the Single Player who is looking for a rich story.................we wait...... we hope......and we pray that one day our dreams will be fulfilled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.