Why oh why devs... PvP zones and forcing people to go there, idiotic.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Khaza, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Alas, the Dev+ forum is overrated and much less frequented by the devs than the release feedback one. So whenever I make a post which I want a dev to see/react to then I post them in the Release Feedback section instead. If one posts feedback in Dev+ then it is almost guaranteed to get ignored by the devs. (You can confirm my behavior by searching on me in the release feedback forums, I usually have 2-8 suggestions per release).
    Where adding them to the comments on the hangout announcements is even more effective, but then one has to watch the hangout to see the reaction/reply.

Edit:
    Just to confirm that, I checked the last month in Dev+ - the only posts from devs is in the preview of the articles that gets posted in the Weekly Updates. So for instance the three articles in the last Weekly Update like the Moondial Madnees and the Making of the outskirts articles.
    So largely info that gets public in the week after anyway.

With the exception of QA, which is about bugs in the QA version before the release goes live.

So my suggestion remains the same, post in the R41 Feedback section.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Solazur, Womby, Lord Andernut and 3 others like this.
  2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

3. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

So after reading @E n v y's post should we then think that removing or moving the PvP bonus exp to PvP zones only to be an alternative. Since alot of the PvP people are not PvPing. :)

Stundorn and Saesa like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

All of this has happened before and will happen again.

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

No....a lot of the PvP people are leaving the game. Big difference and possibly a reasonably sized problem.

6. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

And alot of the non-PvP people are leaving so guess that is another problem as well... And that is because they are adding death penalties that are to harsh and add more for the small % of the PvPers instead of the entire community.

FrostII and Xandra7 like this.
  7. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

Honestly, I want both the PvP and PvE communities to be happy (and as others have pointed out, there's probably quite a bit of overlap in this game).

I won't be flagging for PvP and don't plan to enter a zone that auto-flags me -- I just ask that Port doesn't slowly start adding this in later as a requirement for completing the story line /main quests.

Also not crazy about games (not advertised as PvP-centric) that gate mats/items exclusively behind PvP zones. Just never understood the logic. I understand OP's concerns, but for me personally it's not a big enough deal to worry about. As long as there isn't a design creep towards more of the same.

Let's co-exist peacefully together.

Solazur, Mykll, Sir_Michael and 2 others like this.
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Opinions expressed, using opinions as to root cause as prima-fascia evidence to support the author's opinion with no actual data or demonstrable causation, nor even any correlation that is backed up with data.

[​IMG]

All of this has been debated ad-infinitum for 4 years... I've no doubt it will be debated again... The simple truth of the matter is little of substance has changed... The Shardfalls and Ruins were always meant to be PvP only zones with increase levels of rare resources and different spawns. This hasn't changed since the Kickstarter. Blood Bay was added as a PvP+ NPC City, and some PvP+ adventure zones connected to them. I see this as a logical and needed addition. The XP Bonus for flagging PvP+ is a new thing, but I don't find this objectionable, and Spoon has pointed out there are plenty of XP Bonus opportunities available for PvE only players (These are Also new, and weren't part of the original design proposed that I recall).

Additional PvP 'content' that should and will be added include better support for guild warfare, and/or some variation on a faction system.

No One is being forced to flag PvP+. Such claims are pure hyperbole... Were that so, and I'm sure E n v y and others of the PvP+ community will attest, I would be the first and loudest to raise objection being one of the oldest, most vocal, and least reserved champions and protectors of the right to opt-out of PvP.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This was a promise made early on, Serena. Should it come to pass, I will be at the head of the mob, torch and pitchfork in hand, inciting riot.

Sir_Michael likes this.
  10. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

agree 100%

11. Serena Strangelove

Thank you for this!! I don't foresee it changing with this team, but it's good to hear that affirmed.

12. Serena Strangelove

This actually does make sense - not really sure why flagging PvP should give more XP in all zones everywhere, all over the world, all over the world .. :p

However, there may be factors that I haven't considered - the first thing that comes to mind when I think of PvPers is the desire to level up quickly in order to be competitive, thereby enjoying the aspect of the game that they want to engage in (PvP, guild warfare). So in that respect, it may be a "nod" of understanding to that community.

I dunno, I'm just a lowly newbie PvEer ;)

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

The answer to this is that they suffer a higher degree of risk all over the world... Soloing a troll, and have another PvP+ player stumble upon the battle, and pick you off as easy meat while you're hurt.

Shade Cido likes this.
  14. Khaza

Khaza Avatar

The risk is a part of the PvP and that is what should be the carrot for PvPers to actually PvP. Not that they get bonus exp. :)

Solazur and FrostII like this.
  15. Serena Strangelove

Yes, I have read that - it still seems a little "off" to me - everyone has the choice to un-flag in PvE zones. But I do get it, most MMO's seem to follow "greater risk brings greater rewards" and that can apply to both modes. As long as the disparity of xp, mats/items, mobs etc. isn't too great, should be fine.

I can also see it as a design feature that encourages those who are not averse to PvP to go ahead and flag and gain more experience, hopefully contributing to a healthy population for that mode of play.

Anyway, doesn't really matter to me if others level faster - I'm never in a rush (especially when encumbered), usually don't even like "end-game". ;)

******************************************************************​
    Besides which, I am playing the SotA mini-game called "new player experience of moving their expanded bank items from Soltown to their new bank with beginner level carrying capacity" . It's been a few days now, almost done - lots of things happen between Point A and Point B - I am almost to the point of moving the 24,000 arrows I accidentally bought :eek: (carrying them in sections of course) - such a noob mistake! I will use them someday haha. I can make a mini-game out of anything!

majoria70, Stundorn and Lord Andernut like this.
  16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Because it's a game and no meritocracy!
    I dont like this argument.
    This **** (sorry) We have in real life, we do t need it in a game. Cooperation over Competition. The word was Consensual PvP and that unfortunately means to be locked of if you dont consense.
    That's something i accepted until, but i still dislike this attitude. Sorry.
    As every Year, James :D

Let it be as it is, add pvp mechanics, balance things, make it obsolete to just raise trees to be resistant, and make it worthless to be the Master of everything having 50+ GM and such.
    Then pvp will get better, more people involved and more interesting and fun.

17. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

A healthy attitude, and one I wish more would adopt. The rate at which another levels up has very little affect on me.

18. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

anti-PvP'ers... the best PvP'ers on the forums.

Solazur, Thwip, Vox Aquila and 2 others like this.
  19. mass

mass Avatar

I think most people would agree with (or at least tolerate) this. However, it goes too far in my opinion to have certain things only drop in PVP zones (like Huge croc heads). I think the obsidian chip model has it about right. In a PVP zone, you get tons of obsidian chips; in a PVE zone it's much less, but you can still acquire them that way. To me, that is fair and balanced.

I also don't see why we can't accommodate people like @Stundorn who simply want to experience the lore and exploration of these zones. If they could let us in there in Friends mode and simply heavily nerf the drops while in that mode, I think it would satisfy everybody, except for PKer's that want weak, unprepared players to flag for PVP.

LOL, I think I had this exact same experience last August. Don't take everything; only what you need. As you level, travel gets easier, so you can always go back and get the rest of your stuff if you need it.

Stundorn likes this.
  20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The feather always beats the sword.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.