SotA Dressing now to shy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Jun 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Hi all.

I myself did also suggest far back to have female clothing in the game that is not a objectification of sex.

But after every new clothing that is released i slowly feel that we send the wrong message.

I mean i wanted them included but that does. not mean that entire SotA population will only want to dress full skin covering clothing. That is the other extreme i would find sad. For male and female.

So i searched for more skin suggestions for the RPG players who also like to show a little young, wild, teasing style.
    But not unrealistic bikini looks.

Even a male might want to play a bavarian or Viking. They do not hide all.

Here i go:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Retro, Ariella, licemeat and 13 others like this.
  2. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I was sort of hoping we'd get some cultural diversity. If there is a virtue flavor to different towns / factions, it would be easy to imagine different norms on modesty.

licemeat, Brian, Maka and 4 others like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yay Myrcello. I agree I think whoever is designing the female clothes is getting a little TOO carried away with modesty. I have an ongoing plea to the dev team to make beautiful females and of course choices if that's not the look someone wants. The riding clothes oh no. I am so anxious to see the new character looks, I can hardly stand it. Even Pantheon had the female from the unity store that I liked. Oh so sorry for getting carried away there. I do agree with you though very much.
    ***cheers***

5. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Same.

I was mainly talking about female fighting armors.
    Those i hate unrealistc.

But still we have the mage who can dress what he wants.
    Or we have a fencing lady about movement.
    Or a thief male, female.

A thief women would use also charisma and a litte more luring style of clothing.

The barbarian would show off tatoos of pride.

The casual dressing , the tavern dressing.
    Was not all shy.

All i am saying.

Realistic yes. But only cultivated clothing no.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

lol under normal circumstances I might feel sorry for devs who might be thinking "oh come on make up your minds people!" :)

Then I think back to earlier discussions when we were asked about which styles of clothes we wanted and were given a good half dozen or so to prioritize.. Not choose from mind you.. but prioritize.. as in this is the style we're going to focus on first. Anyone else remember that?

So I still have the impression that a lot more clothing styles are to come. I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet though I'm sure devs are comforted by the feedback here.

Different styles with different regional influences would/will be awesome.

7. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Thank you.

I was searching for the word: modesty.

I mean we are majorly 35+ players.
    And even Lord of The Rings or the Hobbit is less modest then we are turning out at the moment.

Again. No unrealistic armors. But the world of clothing, even medieval was more then armors.
    Show some leg, some belly. Lol

8. Deadra

Deadra Avatar

Armour should be practical, but you don't go everywhere in your armour. I'm all for a range of modest and sexy cloths for males and females... hey if I'm going to be a good looking Brobarian I need a good loincloth too go with my polo shirt!

9. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

10. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I have to admit I am a little disappointed in this thread, not for the idea behind it, but because you are drawing entirely from other video game/digital sources. :-/ If we are going for a real-world feel, we should be drawing inspiration from real world sources... And let me tell you, SCAdian women in the South (US) have a huge tendency to have Middle Eastern personas because it is basically the only culture/region in the medieval period that did not require not only they be fully covered, but fully covered with multiple layers.

For instance, this:

[​IMG]

would have been considered almost scandalously bare, and she's still wearing three layers (underdress, kirtle, and bodice.)

This is more typical:

[​IMG]

That matron in the foreground there has at least four layers I can pick out.

Now, by no means would I want "historical accuracy" to that degree in a game, or at least not a fantasy game. But the historical period that most of this game is drawing from was highly modest. It wasn't until the late 19th and early 20th century that women really started showing skin again (Gone with the Wind anyone?)

As for viking women's garb, which many of those pictures seem to be trying to evoke, was more like this:

[​IMG]

Again, underdress (that covered basically everything from the neck down), overdress/kirtle, and often an additional apron on top of the overdress.

This medieval-look but arms, belly and/or legs bared is a purely modern invention.

Siili, Soleidad, Saosis and 6 others like this.
  11. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I actually think (and hope) there is room for all types of fantasy dress, that's inspired from all of the world's cultures. I am happy with modest dress, as well as dress that has more of a sexy flare. Although, somewhat tangential to this topic, I'd love to see more variation in the human avatar models... The features as they exist now are too anglo-saxon. I'd much prefer some work was done here before introducing a race with pointy ears...

12. Shortina

Shortina Avatar

Remembered 300:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Mages, Tesla Towers, Lunar Rifts are also nor historicaly correct. Also Dragons and glowing flying light sources.

It is a fantasy game we are playing.

And as you stated those clothes i show are from games as i cant find historical reference.

But we are escaping reality. And i bet some want to dress fantasy, not medieval historical correct.

Again: no objectification of women, but more freedom of expression.

Kambrius, Bodhbh Dearg, smack and 3 others like this.
  14. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Not saying I don't want some more revealing clothing included...

Just that the 'starting point' should be real historical clothing instead of modern video games. :)

As for warmer climates...

Iranian maybe?

[​IMG]

Hm... no... maybe Persian?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Okay, a little belly showing in some of them, but nothing like the modern videogame versions.

Egyptian?

[​IMG]
    (you have to go waaaay back to the ancient, pre-roman Egypt to find the diaphanous, see-through kind of thing most people think of as Egyptian dress.)

Just sayin'.

Bodhbh Dearg, Ned888 and Time Lord like this.
  15. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

NirAntae.

Lets agree there is a world between our suggestions.

P.S. You responded faster then i deleted my " go further south" post.

Found it myself bad argument after thinking over it. Grin

I did take games as reference as of course i will not find hisorical reference. You are correct.

Time Lord and NirAntae like this.
  16. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Like I said... all for some 'sexier' and more revealing clothing options. I would just rather see it taken from a perspective of "this is what it was really like historically, so how can we make it more sexy/revealing for modern tastes?" instead of "this is what other, modern videogames offer"; because, while this is not an "historically accurate" game, it is based in real history (and then given a fantasy edge) instead of random modern fantasies - that have more to do with 'naughty fantasy' than 'historical fantasy' most of the time, with little or no basis in fact.

17. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Will do better reference pictures next time.
    Movies.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    PrimeRib said;

I was sort of hoping we'd get some cultural diversity. If there is a virtue flavor to different towns / factions, it would be easy to imagine different norms on modesty.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    Our styles of clothes could become area specific in their ability to be made. Yet this is a very radical idea which could cost Portalarium $ or not, I don't know. Maybe it's a future thing or a nothing idea.
    "We Have Teachable Emotes" so I am toying with the idea that teachable tailor made clothing articles purchased through our online store could be a viable stretch goal for such area specific clothing............. "Or Just Something Cool to Be Able for Our Store to Offer Us"
    What does everyone think about selling special teachable tailor clothing in our online store? o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

19. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

We are starting on one small, isolated island. Not a stretch to say that clothing styles are pretty homogeneous throughout. I expect more diversity as we uncover more of the world. We've got 5 episodes and they have to hold some stuff back. ;)

smile1930, Soleidad and Time Lord like this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

It's a Time Lord Secret,
    "Never hold back!" :D
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.