Am I the only one who doesn't want to play card game combat??

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Toff, Apr 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Actually I think the card system is a lot better than I expected. I'm having fun with it, and that's most of the battle. I would still like to see some kind of tool box for future skills that might need to be used in combat, but aren't exactly offensive in nature. Other than that I think I'm fine with it. I'll eat my humble pie now.

Ned888, Lord Baldrith, Espada and 6 others like this.
  2. scorn

scorn Avatar

I thank if they assigned key to skills and have it randomly pop up that could add to make it a little cleaner for me at lest.

I have a hard time articulating my thought's to paper so bare with me !

3. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

So you don't look at the skill bar at all, only the combat and still cast ONLY the spells you want when you want them?

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Well there aren't really any skills that aren't offensive type skills at this point.

To my amazement, I find that I have more than enough of the cards that I want at any given time. Building a good deck makes a difference. I haven't been disappointed with ANY of the hands I have been dealt except when I had slugs in them with heavy armor. However I've seen that some people seemed to have over come that deficiency some how.

As a mage I've seriously had at least one of every skill I wanted at that time. that being said I have only 5 or so different skills, I have 6 slots open. If you do the math it actually works out in your favor unless you are picking lots of different skills.

I am still concerned about people picking the same skills, but from what I can see there is a lot of variation as to how many innate skills you want to pick up vs card skills, and also the focus skill tree makes a big difference. So there is room for uniqueness. Keep in mind they haven't added all the skills/spellls yet either.

SO MY ANSWER IS A DEFINITE YES TO YOUR QUESTION. as impossible as that may seem I have had multiple of the cards that I need most of the time. Also I can click off the cards I can see I have too much of and it populates quick enough because I have focus skills. Trust me they did a Fuc(n good job with this system.

5. Angor

Angor Avatar

This was my first time to play the game. And it took a bit to catch on to the card system. I have never seen this before. All the other MMOs I play are the normal hot bar type, where you just plug in your skill and hit the right button, or make a macro. This may take a little getting used to, but I can see the appeal. I'll have to work with it some more before I can say I do or don't like it. It will make every battle a chancy endeavor, a nice change.

majoria70, Duke NRaas and Dame Lori like this.
  6. High Baron Asguard

Hang on, your saying that if you want to cast ONLY fireball you can do so without looking at your quick use bar?
    Not can I cast any random offensive spell, ONLY fireball, one specific spell

Ara likes this.
  7. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

That is definitely part of it.

Its almost better to lose to a 3 outer then a 2 outer =p

2 outers are very irritating sometimes and almost feel like a setup when you always have AA against a lower pocket pair and you continually lose over and over and over.

But that is a great example of seeing patterns in random noise when there is none, unless you are old-school paranoid and think its really the old action=rake conspiracy

Bramagola likes this.
  8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's simply probability... And that randomness around what is most definitely a game of skill is one of the things that makes Poker so interesting. It is THE thing that keeps the fish swimming back in. But it is most definitely a game of Skill, or the same people wouldn't win so consistently... over the long haul.
    Remove the Randomness from Poker, and you would ONLY have the Hard Core playing.

Which is exactly what happens in most PvP games.

Doppelganger [MGT] likes this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    All I know is that I had a blast PvP'ing tonight! I love the card system and I cant wait till we get more tree's implemented. As a caster, I can say I held my own, I lost many, but won many too!

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Same here, I played a mage also, I used 7/10 slots, and never lacked for a spell really. I cant wait till they open the chaos tree :p

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This.

12. Ara

Ara Avatar

So you are looking at the skills/spells coming up on the hot bar instead of the battle then? That wouldn't be necessary if you instead had your skills/spells on your keyboard.

If i would like to cast a spell i learned and that isn't on my hot bar how do i do that? Create a new deck? And can i do that during battle or am i stuck with the deck i have prepared?

And how much focus on the battle will you have when your'e trying to create combos from the hot bar. Focus of the battle going on will most likely be harder then.

13. Gridian

Gridian Avatar

I played a mix of 95% magic and 5% bow. That way I kept my targets under constant DPS, be it by spells or autoattack.
    Also, I never really used the number keys but clicked on the cards when I wished to use them. I do not yet know the symbols by heart, but I think that I'll Keep it that way. So I was looking at my skills to choose and use, but of course never exclusively. At any time I saw what was going on on in the battle and was able to react and move.

All in all I like this deck system very much :)

Rodriguez and Lord Baldrith like this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Did I read this right, you won't take part because you already know you don't like it? You won't even try it?

Ned888 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  15. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yes you read right, kinda hard not to.

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yep. As long as you have a gaming mouse that has the numbers 1,2,3,4,5,6... on the side.. which I do. It isn't burdensome. It is easier than having a WoW interface or having the UO icons everywhere.

However you can just hit the number corresponding to the icon. If you have enough points in the focus skill tree the icons stay there quite a while. Using the mouse doesn't hamper your movement.

Just to illustraite how easy it is, I have had several situations where I had to run away from people, and I was able to turn around, and run backwards without losing a step, and I was able to fire off special attacks. ALSO I was playing a pure mage, I had no auto attack to speak of. ALl of my skills were on the bar. THAT IS PROOF THIS SYSTEM WORKS. I'm convinced.

If you don't like it then play locked in mode. However I have to admit even if you had your icons locked and they didn't have a 50% additional focus, it is far better to use the deck. The locked keys have a cool down, your deck might deal you multiple fire arrows or roots. THE DECK IS FAR SUPERIOR TO THE STANDARD INTERFACE. AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED IT HANDS DOWN BEATS ANY INTEFACE I'VE EVER USED. I'M CONVERTED. I GOT SAVED. I'M A BORN AGAIN DECK MAN.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Um why?

That doesn't really make any sense, how can you be critical like that if you don't even try it?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  18. High Baron Asguard

How do you know what is in each slot if you don't ever have to look at it and its always changing?

I am glad your enjoying it and your last line is exactly right, it should stand up on its own, no cool down penalties, no focus penalties, just card system and normal system, play as you want to. THAT'S how the game should be designed. I don't want an intrusive UI like the stupid cards are forcing, if you use a normal system you could turn off the quick use bar once you know your spells and your own personal set up and play and always cast the right spell. Try THAT with this card system, no UI (which is something RG supposedly wanted), no icons, only looking at whats actually happening

19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Read what I said in purple in my last comment above about running away from an opponent and then turning around and running backwards away from my opponent and still being able to cast spells. If there is any question if it is distracting THAT KILLS THAT ARGUMENT.

Quite frankly I spent quite a bit of time running backwards because I usually attack somebody and then they try to run after me. DEVs WE NEED A MINIMAP OR A REAR VIEW MIRROR OR SOMETHING LoL

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

It's easy. The card that looks like a fireball is a fireball. The spell fire arrow, looks like a little flaming arrow. The lighting bolt spell looks like a little lightning bolt. I don't mean to be rude but if you can't figure this out you need to be playing farmville.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.