Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Repair kits = lame

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Xi_, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

If the post wasn't made here telling everyone where to find gems, it's not ben lowered, lol. Oh well, he meant well. :p

Tahru likes this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It was something that needed to be adjusted, unfortunately it was also the only thing stopping many people from opting out of r14 completely >.<

Kaisa and Koldar like this.
  3. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

All righty... it would seem the only way to enjoy testing this release is now going to be by using only bought gear

It would cost me 408 gold for a full set of augmented leather. I couldn't even repair my boots for that little...

It would be one thing if it were just the really high damage rate my equipment is being punished with... but add to that the semi-random application of death penalties from changing scenes, and you have a state where it is simply not even something I can slog through for the sake of testing, much less enjoyable.

Trust me... I've slogged through some mind-numbing crap before. I was in the armed forces, that was equal large parts of mindlessness, uselessness, boredom and redundancy spiked with equally small parts of panic, adrenalin, multitasking and challenge. This is now worse than all that. :p

Not going to stop, just going to play and create a whole bunch of really expensive armor and weapons I will never test because to use it is too painful to the coin purse.

4. danz409

danz409 Avatar

now that crystals are nerfed... eh... 20k for 100 kits is a bit much. and considering my hand crafted weapons are made of tissue paper... this could be a problem.

Heradite likes this.
  5. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

yes the amount of damage gear and weapons take needs to be tweaked badly, I am not sure exactly what the purpose is of having such a harsh gameplay environment this time around, if we are aiming to bring back the most annoying aspects of old school mmo's then we are succeeding, but that begs the question, just how much of a playerbase are we actually looking to attract?

danz409, Kaisa and Tahru like this.
  6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Perhaps this is a worst case scenario test XD .. god i hope it isn't final. I am trying to find some way of sustaining the new gear through crafting but it costs more in repairs to gather materials than any profit i can find.

majoria70 likes this.
  7. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

not to mention the fact that obtaining the leathers and materials in this build is absolutely more painful than having an enema

8. Darian

Darian Guest

i see right now no reason to play, if i want an good whipping i can have that for about the same money at the hand of an pro...

9. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

Pain is temporary, what else is there to do in game. Hang around at the trainer or bank like other games. Nah, gathering is where it's at, 1-4 leathers at time

10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

11. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Kaisa likes this.
  12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It actually does solve the problem which is why i linked it in the same thread i was complaining about repair kits in. And they wont lower the prices since this is intended unlike the gems. The only real issue is i wont get the prices i would have if i didn't share the info with everybody since i wont be the only person doing it.

13. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

How does it solve the problem? If you don't craft and only adventure you're quickly going to have useless armor and useless weapons. Your band-aid only works if people want to craft.

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

So don't do it and stand with your thumb up your butt, was just helping people that still want to play.

4EverLost likes this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't craft and only adventure.. I can afford to buy a new set of armor every time mine breaks, and still have plenty gold left over.

Also I avoid dying, which might help.

Moonshadow and 4EverLost like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The second death penalty occurs only after leaving or logging out of a scene that you have just died in. set al alternet deck to equip a torch and you will only have to hit the X button before leaving a scene to avoid damagign your gear until this is fixed.

It's the same as fighting monsters. And if your not fighting a monster, what are you doing?

This was how people made their gold last release. The only difference is that the price of repair kits goes up the more they are bought. theres a vendor in breamar and owls head that sell them, its a good idea to check both to find the lowest price.
    People were spoiled on the gems. The crafting book bug makes it mroe annoying this go-round but its still not that bad. If i werent gathering and crafting, i wouldnt be doing anything but grinding levels, and level grinding gets old after so many years.

The repair kits arent the primary method for repairing gear. But it is all that is currently in the game at the moment. Tradesmen will do repairs much mroe cost effectivly, and there will be materials you can craft gear with that will improve durability.
    I know yall already knew this but its a nice reminder that next release begins in 20 days, and craftign skills are planned to begin to come online then (and likely also REAL repairing)

Moonshadow and 4EverLost like this.
  17. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well that's pretty poor game design and also interferes with developing affinities, and yes I know they're not in game yet. But just saying.

And not sure what death has to do with it. It's the beating your armor and using your weapons that cause wear and tear. I guess maybe there's a death penalty for your equipment. But my highest bills have not come from dieing but when a repop happens too quick and I get swarmed. Then my repair bills go through the roof.

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

What's poor game design -- that your gear takes a hit when you die? A penalty to dying insures you want to try not to die. That's good game design, IMO -- death needs to have a penalty you want to avoid, so it should have meaning, making you avoid it. From an immersion point of view, the game assumes that when you die, your armor gets run through with a weapon. I'd also argue for injuries after we die that don't auto-heal, so we'd need potions or special healing to fully recover from a death.

Yes, if you fight many enemies at once, the more you'll get hit, because while you're working on defeating one enemy, the others will just keep on attacking you. Fighting a swarm of enemies is a good way to damage your gear. That's one reason why fighting as few enemies as possible at a time is a good strategy even if you can handle many.

I mentioned that in the light armor tactics thread. Its even more of a problem for heavy armor, which works by absorbing damage, while light armor wearers can dodge around and avoid being hit in the first place. That's how heavy armor works, and its a trade-off. Someone wearing light armor will need less repairs and will spend less on replacements.

EMPstrike and 4EverLost like this.
  19. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

The problem is just maintaining the NEW gear, old gear is business as usual.

Moonshadow likes this.
  20. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

No. It's poor game design to add durability and not add a way to pay for it. If someone wants to test the adventure side and doesn't like to craft they have to recycle their gear or start crafting. If you're going to add durability then there should be some game mechanic engaged to allow pure adventurers to counteract it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.