Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Increasing coto repair will ruin player economy

Discussion in 'Release 36 Dev+ Feedback Forum' started by reuge, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

In no way is it.
    If you choose to use purchased cotos, thats your call.
    I run all my repairs with kits, then farmed or bought coins. In no way are you forced to spend real money. And if your not making enough gold to repair your gear, then your doing something very wrong.

Right now everything is eternal. You may buy 1 bow from someone, to avoid crsfting it yourself. and boom you never ever need to visit that vendor agian, because that bow lasts forever.

Thank god , this will add player to player trade.

And lets not exaggerate how often your max repairing. If your bow is 50 max durability because you chose to god like it, then now you ll consider the long term costs, and maybe get you to have grinding gear.. instead of that eternal ever lasting gear.

Imo they should remove cotos completly from crafting. And just have a slow decrease on max for each kit or something.
    But regardless, this is the first real step they have done to stimulate some kind of economy and trade.

Numa likes this.
  2. lollie

lollie Avatar

Someone is spending real money on those COTOs, thirty COTOs don't just poof out of the air...this is a real dollar tax on playing.

3. reuge

reuge Avatar

At this moment, coto can be bought with gold. However, moving forward bundles and pledges coto will dry up. Someone have to buy coto from the add on store to resell them for gold. Will you be the coto merchant at that point? And what would you do with the millions of gold accumulated?

4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

And why would you use +15 gear?
    Well you wouldnt use it for grinding. You would use it for specific high end stuff.

Because they lack caps in crafting, everyones still going to make the majority of their gear. But forcing people to update every other month is fantastic. when was last time any of you bought gear off another player?
    Exactly.
    And high cost of peoples gear currently, is irrelivant. I see bows that are +7 or +9 up for 40k. it sur isnt worth that. If you do look around you can find realistic pricing on vendors. But your not looking. Becase you have a +9 and never need to replace it. this move will force ingame prices to stabalize to realistic value. this is good for All crafters. Good for the economy, and will maybe make people actually look at vendors, which will lead to people actually maintaining then, insead of sticking up 20 items and never selling anythjng, then complainkng about it.

5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

The coins drop! you can use the other coins.
    Chris stated the coin drop on mobs is adjusted with the amount of coins in game.
    Good stop buying gold cotos, it literally makes more coins drop off the mobs.

6. reuge

reuge Avatar

We are not complaining about taking gears out of the system, but rather the way gears are taken out. Why cant we consider alternatives like repair breakage rng? Why tax the players with increasing usage of cotos?

Chatele, Kaisa and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  7. lollie

lollie Avatar

Nobody will be buying this crafted gear if this goes live, all it means is a fancy item with a real dollar tax. We'll all be wearing free stuff and/or crafting our own disposable gear.

You can kiss your crafter fantasy goodbye, and forget any dream of an exciting economy of crafted items.

Following this trend I expect we'll get ways to alleviate death penalty or any other gameplay taxes they introduce in the future with throwing loads of COTOs down.

Most expensive game ever.

Kaisa, Leelu and rednought like this.
  8. reuge

reuge Avatar

Coto repair is real, coto drop adjustment is figurative. From a profit oriented company point of view, I would bite my own finger just hiking coto usage with and increase coto drop.

Kaisa likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm not a big fan of the way of this change. Now if someone continuously fights in armor until it is totally broken and it breaks, now that I can agree with, it breaks. Keeping ones armor in top shape should be done, and the armor and weapons can break if it is not done before breaking, and durability loss is fine and broken armor is fine if they don't. I understand the thought behind the change, I just don't agree totally with the method. It is one thing to try to make the crafters viable, but already we are facing other problems with this game that this attempt to fix it doesn't sit well on top of that to me.

Already with every player maxing out everything even if the process slows down, it is already a joke because most people are maxed out already or working on it. If major changes can be done to the crafting system and the game systems that will make a better game, we will miss out on that experience because many of us are already high skilled or maxed out, so changes that would make it a more fun game are feared because people would throw a fit to lose anything if starting over would help the system to be better. I am discouraged by some of the changes. I feel like some are done to not upset the backers by radical changes that would take wiping skills and re-thinking the process.

I am willing to sacrifice, but many are not. I don't agree that all recent changes are the best choices for the game. We may be backers but we are also testers and many things are not working, and if the work arounds are happening in such a way trying to not offend backers, I say we have a problem. I came here to donate to a game I believed in, feeling like the money I spent is just that, gone, I don't care if I get it back at this point, I've had 3 very interesting years here, I just care about a great game coming out of my time here, I still do believe that it will turn out and be great, but what are we willing to sacrifice for a great game if it takes sacrifices and do-overs if that is what it takes? I know I am, perhaps not POT resets, I want them to stay part of the game now as they are, but I'm willing to restart everything else.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    uhop, Kaisa, Leelu and 3 others like this.
  10. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Complaining that you *have* to buy cotos is ridiculous.

If you don't want to spend real money on them, then don't! Use repair kits as long as you can and when your gear breaks, buy or craft a new piece. That's the whole point, is to get things moving more in trade.

Durability goes down so slowly as it is that even just using repair kits or the odd coto drop you can keep the same gear for quite awhile.

Having cotos able to make gear eternally viable was terrible, and putting a limit on it is a great step towards actually stimulating trade.

11. lollie

lollie Avatar

Looks like you skipped over the many posts where people explain how you won't be selling your crafted goods to anyone any more under such a system. We'll be making our own disposable gear to fight in, so your fancy shop will be closed within a month.

It will be quite the reverse of trade stimulation.

Kaisa likes this.
  12. reuge

reuge Avatar

I think it's fair for any company to be profit oriented. Sell whatever rare deco or skin, I have no qualms about buying. But I think a new mechanic shouldn't be disguise
    Players won't buy coto to repair nor will they buy gears. Because the level of entry barrier is so low. Players will just diy gears with low mod and treat them as disposable. I feel this coto implement won't help the economy but rather take it a step back as it will just kill the high end gear market. Back to square one. The only difference is more pissed players.

Kaisa and lollie like this.
  13. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

No one is selling crafted goods now because gear is eternal. You buy once and never need to buy or craft it again. Sure people could craft thier own new disposable pieces and that would have effects on the market for resources. To say that gear being able to eventually break won't help with trading is absolutely ridiculous.

Lol, what high end gear market do you think there is right now? I have an end game viable weapon, which i can repair eternally, and never need to buy another one.

There is no gear market at the moment and no reason to visit vendors looking for gear once you have decent pieces.

I didn't like the mechanic of cotos repairing gear in the first place for this exact reason, but im glad they are taking steps to make gear have a shelf life.

Now that people's gear will be breaking and many don't want to spend real money to maintain it with high coto cost, we might actually see a market for gear develop.

MrBlight, GreyMouser Skye and Elnoth like this.
  14. reuge

reuge Avatar

I can still see players buying high end gear now. But I am not sure that will still happen with the high coto repair cost. There is really no point. As I said, I agree with you about weapons lasting forever. I just don't agree with using cotos to take gears out of the system. Of course we all have the choice to decide if we will spend coto. I just hope they one up with a different way to take gears out of the system.

If you do look carefully, the so call player economy now are players burning resources to level their master works or enchanting skills. If there is no point in levelling either, where will the big buyer of resources be. I won't bother getting my gm enchanting or master works cos I think there won't be a need to have the 2nd or 3rd level mod. It's a disposable razor blade, why bother. People have less need to buy resources and less need to buy higher mod gears if this is implemented.

15. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

For armour yes it does degrade slowly, but for weapons, especially bows used with auto attack, i can use 30 primary durability in 2 hours, and secondary durability can half from 80 to 40 in less than 2 weeks, meaning it really needs o have a coto repair at this point.

16. lollie

lollie Avatar

What I am saying is having gear cost real money to repair (THIRTY COTOs for the sixth repair!) is not going to help with the economy/aka selling your nice crafted gear to people playing the game...nobody is going to buy your overpriced crafted gear, that's just how this will go. People will only use disposable gear, and this they'll craft themselves.

There's no good outcome from the introduction of this real dollar tax on playing the game.

2112Starman and Gaelis like this.
  17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I honestly can't see the problem here.
    The dimishing return on coto repairs was long coming.
    Items need to break at some point. Port needs to generate income.
    Items are suprisingly long living. I am still using my frist crafted bow. Repaired it three times so far with kits and already have a ton of replacement bows ready and waiting.

18. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Well, why are my bows using so much durability , and others i speak to ....Yes i am using one of my first done, and have more i can use. But what i wont be doing in future is trying to gain perfect stats with any i make....whatever i make i will put up with, and when it costs more than 1 coto to replace ill make another and use that with whatever stats it has.

Yes and no.....I'm all for them making money but crafting/combat in my view should not be tied to them making money. That's is really paying to play the game. I support and will continue to in items i want to buy from the store, would purchase a subscription if offered, but i wont buy or use obsidian potions and will not pay excessively to repair my items. Repair and crafting should be tied to players skill, just like combat. By encouraging players to have better equipment by the way of paying coto to keep these powerful weapons, goes against any form of player economy and skill. Sure we thus need more items to be made if they break, but that should be it, no coto repairing them, do the same with repair kits, takes 1, takes 2, takes 3 etc.....It generates a need for items still, but in the crafters hands, also the repair skill should be better used, people who train this up should be able to repair items much better even maybe adding a durability buff onto, or a resistance buff to degradation. This keep the crafting in the hands of the crafters and makes a game and economy, not a revenue stream for the devs.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  19. Selene

Selene Avatar

Not everyone will make their own armor. I HATE weapon and armor crafting . Cooking I can do all day, but making gear.. bleh. I think this is a change that crafters asked for. No one HAS to use COTOs to repair gear. You just use mid range gear for everyday and fancy stuff for boss battles. I think it will stimulate the economy and crafters will sell more midranged gear.

If bow durability really goes down like crazy compared to other weapons, that should be fixed, though. That sounds like an imbalance in the system.

20. lollie

lollie Avatar

I can't say I have ever heard a crafter say "make it so I have to spend $30 to repair my gear" :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.