Marking runes and travel?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Namodias, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think you must be. I rarely play other than in a group, because in open PvP, I anticipate engaging other groups. So, lets say I'm in a fight with another group, down on health, and a solo PK attacks and kills me. Before the rest of my group can engage and destroy him, he recalls out. That is the kind of behavior that gave PvP a bad name in UO. If that solo PK were to have to face the consequences of his actions and fight my entire group, that brings greater accountability to the game.

Brimor, TemplarAssassin and God like this.
  2. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

If you're not in combat, you deserve to be allowed to use your character's abilities to flee, even if this means teleporting, and even if this means you have to go pound sand as a result of the wizard escaping.

You're the one that said it, not me. I was just making it clearer for you. You seem to want PVP to cater to your double standards and one-sided view point. That's never going to happen.

Oh, they are the same thing now? That's new. I like that you are trying to come up with official terms for everything, at least.

So what? Cry me a river dude. People escaping from encounters?! BLASPHEMY. Get real. If all you want is locked-in combat with no chance of escape, go find an arena where they lock the doors until all but one person is left standing. In the real world where anything goes, expect to have people disappear from right in front of you. It's magic. It's not supposed to always be your best friend.

Or, you can flee before you yourself also engage in combat, if you think the battle may go poorly.

Except for the part where melee guys aren't really at a disadvantage when they're forced to stay toe to toe with someone.

Let me know when you finally grasp that simple concept. Until then, you aren't worth talking to about this any further.

3. God

God Avatar

While I see what you're saying... 1 Mage shouldn't be able to take out ANY one of a group of five.

4. Owain

Owain Avatar

I did mention I was low on health from fighting another group, did I not? I might not have been clear that the solo PK was not associated with the other group, but 'solo PK' implies that, I thought. But by itself, the sneak attack is not a bad tactic, but it is the lack of accountability the Recall spell provides that prevents that solo player having to face my entire group. Would he have attacked me if recall were not available? Maybe not, because then he would have to face the consequences of his actions.

5. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

He still has to face the consequences of his actions if he kills you and vanishes.

Unless of course, you guys don't pay attention and don't bother getting his name.

6. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

We're talking about a different part of the current topic. A portion that you haven't quite proven is pointless to talk to you about yet. I'm sure it's coming soon though.

7. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

Ah runes. I had some great ones back in the day to the roof of banks, great way to stay away from thieves and beggars. Had one to Yew bank roof.

derek6665 likes this.
  8. Hardin Steele

Hardin Steele Avatar

Boy, runes, while I remember them being an integral part of UO, sure seem like a bad idea. They make large worlds small. Worlds should remain large and players should feel a sense of adventure when setting out to cross a continent. Runes and portals have gotten everyone who plays games spoiled and kept players from having a sense of where home is. If we get to vote on runes, recalling and portals, I vote no.

9. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

I agree for the most part tho I think we should have runes. They just should be very hard to get and very valuable, lootable of course. Gate and Recall should be extremely expensive/time-consuming/with long cooldowns.

A magical fantasy world needs portals.

Sci-fi guys got their FTL.
    We got our gates.

10. smack

smack Avatar

I have no problems with teleportation type spells or whatever for fast travel. Even with the "Gate" spells in EQ, I still felt that sense of adventure, that sense of awe running from zone to zone. As long as there's that option to travel via either method, to each their own. The dual scale map is already a form of fast travel, as you can walk from one end of the continent to the other in a few minutes according to the estimates they've mentioned previously (months ago).

11. sakuraba

sakuraba Avatar

I need a mark and recall spell.

I like to find out-of-the-way hunting grounds that are rarely frequented by players and I dont want to be running for 30 minutes to get to one of those spots.

How many hours in total have I spent on the back of a wind rider travelling......wasted time.

Having to take two boats, a blimp and then a 5 minute flight is a bit rough too.

Mark and recall please.

5 rune limit .....?

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Brighton Rock

Brighton Rock Avatar

what if we had special runes/ skills/ artefacts/ spells/ etc... to follow someone who just recalled away ?
    *you notice a magical path leading to the west of New Britannia. Do you want to follow to that position ?*

13. Hardin Steele

Hardin Steele Avatar

I can handle a little compromise. I mean, the moongates and phases of the moon were very innovative (and they are still a fun thing to have to figure out), it is the shrinking of a world I dislike. I know there will be some form of magical transport, but making a real rarity instead of part of the Britannia Superhighway is what I'm looking for. Once you drop a house, that area is your home, and should feel like it. If you find an awesome hunting ground on the other side of the world, should it not take a long, long time to get there? Certainly! Teleportation has made us soft as adventureres, and we expect things handed to us on a silver platter. Earn your kills, then get them home. Both should be challenging.

Alexander and Mordecai like this.
  14. Owain

Owain Avatar

That still permits what should be a means of transportation to be misused as a means of escape. I would prefer that people who are flagged as criminals not be permitted to use either gate or recall. It could be worked into the story line - the disruption to your spirit interferes with the magical energies necessary to cast the spell, or something along those lines.

Brimor likes this.
  15. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

What if I do crimes in cold blood? Or if I enjoy doing them? Do I still get a..disruption?

16. Owain

Owain Avatar

In that case, I would think you would still get a disruption due to your sociopathic/psychopathic nature, but that would be hard for the game to detect, so criminal status should do instead.

Either way, it's a feature designed to prevent criminals from easily escaping the consequences of their crimes.

sakuraba likes this.
  17. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

I do love me some runebooks...!

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ahhhh well that was one thing I just loved, so I guess to each their own. So different from other games. It allows us to be in control not so boxed in. It's so frustrating and time consuming to not have freedom of movement. I for one want to mark my spot and run back to the bank or where ever and say hey I'll brb, you need anything? lol

derek6665 likes this.
  19. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I so miss the rune marking system. No online game I have played since UO has done it...But UO needed it most because when you found that awesome vendor you could mark it and return there when you wanted to shop again.

Also, you could create a bunch of runes to your shop and drop them on the ground at the bank...

Good times...I think this game has that same need...let's make it possible to mark...And where is the inscription? They used to make mark scrolls for the non-magic folk.

20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Maybe they could make gating/recalling virtue based? Maybe level based also? The more honor, the more gates. Maybe a GM blacksmith/miner could get more recalls than a new player starting out foreging. Just my 2 cents worth.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.