1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

PVP & Death: Current Thinking Megapost

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Quoted for TRUTH!

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'll clarify my position a little bit. I'm not a full loot kinda guy.. and honestly if I ever do kill anyone in PvP I wouldn't loot them unless I was trying to recover something very specific.

There are things as previously mentioned that should not be lootable and good reasons otherwise not to go completely full loot. That said, there are other ways to govern a partial loot system. Weight restrictions on lootable items.. virtue influences or any number of other things that can be managed behind the scenes. So when you go to loot someone the only stuff you see is what you can take such as consumables.

That I think about it.. the loot system in PvP may be something worth putting off for awhile if it means being able to do it right. No loot now is better than a rushed solution just to get something in for launch.

Personally I think the devs are being a little too afraid of the idea of people fearing loss. I think most players are made of sterner stuff than that. Though I could be wrong about that I suppose given the environment they've been playing in for the last decade or so. I grow ever more concerned over mixed messages though. They want people to not be afraid of using their good stuff so they remove the risk of losing it, only to do this they include a system that could very well encourage poorer players to use not-so-good stuff with ransom.

Time Lord, RelExpo, Ferrus and 3 others like this.
  3. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Can i get the link plz ?

jondavis likes this.
  4. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Alternatively, the selection process for what item(s) drop could be based upon relative PvP experience, times looted by the same player, and other factors, including the overall danger level of the zone.

If your PvP level is low, you have a low chance of dropping something valuable, and vice versa. That should appease the risk vs reward proponents, because as you get better at PvP and the more you do it, the more risk is involved, but the greater the rewards for continuing; and those that don't do it very often have less risk.

5. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

6. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

I get that. And if you look at my posts you'll see I am all for you and anyone else who chooses the "hardcore PvP" playstyle of 'Blessing of Oracle' or PvP guild that wants it, to HAVE full or near full loot if that's the desire. But not for the casual PvP players or the PvE players that are coaxed to trying PvP. Because it's too high a price and at best they won't do it again, and at worst they'll leave the game.

7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Again, ultimately this system hurts the game. The majority of players don't want it, which is why we saw what happened with the split. And griefers quit on the other side when they had no one to quit. Normal PvP players were also hurt when they didn't have anyone to play with.

A compromise system as proposed incentives PvP to encourage more players to partake in it. This system should make PvP more fun. No one is forced into something that would drive them away. Most everyone wins.

Anyone who will only play the game if they have the opportunity to grief may walk away, but honestly the game is better without griefing. You can't please everyone.

That was a vote that took place in the PvP forums, and most non-PvP players don't go there. So you get slanted results. The poll in the General Forums had very different results. And I've pointed that out to you specifically previously.

8. Curt

Curt Avatar

Suggestion: add a special bag slot.
    When you die you lose the items that was in that bag.
    The better the total worth of the bag content the less you suffer in experience debt, durability.

IF you is a player that has killed another player options could be one of:
    1. you get everything in that players special bag.
    2. the value of your own bag limits how much you can take from the other player.

Vision OpenWorld and Joviex like this.
  9. enderandrew

It does though.

If the system drives people away from ever partaking in PvP, then PvP players have no one to fight and it hurts PvP players.

Incentivizing PvP and encouraging people to participate makes for better PvP. If you want an empty Fel server with no one to fight, that is available to you right this minute.

10. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Yes Yes, i know.

I just wanted to specify that it is wrong to say that the majority do not want the full loot. :D

Nobody knows.

Joviex and 3devious like this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I agree, however we are now talking about a very specific subject that probably 80% of people are not really that interested (some like to put forward their ideals).....that 20% could now be who this topic is really for......maybe they are the ones who live and breath PvP..........maybe they are the ones who have not uttered a word about the story, RP, heraldry or PvM........this is their moment, this is their area of expertise ......this is what they do.....this is why they want the game.

Everyone has the right to a say and opinion......however I won't accept that a person who has spent years RPing or PvMing opinions on PvP are as valid as someone who has spent years PvPing. In the same way as an experienced PvPer....I shall never try and tell someone how to RP.

12. Ara

Ara Avatar

This is no risk vs reward PvP system, it is a watered down system to please the PvE crowd.

Where are the consequences for playing bad? Why should i improve my PvP combat skills? Where is the reward? Combat itself isnt enough reward as some have claimed.

This is what i feared all along since kickstarter, a game that try to please 2 completely different gamestyles will water down 1 of them, and that was PvP.

13. enderandrew

We do know for a fact the majority don't want it.

RG and DS have seen the numbers, and are aware of the history of what happened when UO split into two worlds and all the players went to the safe one and it utterly killed PvP.

Ragnabrock likes this.
  14. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

I'm not opposed to a full loot option in guild pvp or some other scenario for those that want to engage in it.

There can be issues with groups where individuals with/without those flags. Implementing it can be tricky.

It would require some sort of flagging/notification like, Joining this group is Full Loot, You will lose all items if looted. Do you agree to join this group?

Then you have your not full loot groups, now what happens when they fight each other? or, a group attacks that is full loot pvp with another that is not full loot pvp, now how do the spoils work out? that gets to be hard to figure out.

mike11 and docdoom77 like this.
  15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

if I log into UO official server...yes........or I could log onto a pre pub 16 rule set player run server and have lots of fun.

jondavis likes this.
  16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Here's the ultimate solution. Everyone become role players! :D

RPing PvPers don't need loot as an incentive. All you need to do is look at them funny and insult their mother and they will happily chop you to bits, sauté you with onions and feed you to the pigs. :) And yes some of them will even save your ears.

17. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

What tends to really happen with casual PvPers or PvMers who want to try PvP......they get to know people in the game who have links with PvP guilds, they join the guilds, they get trained up by having duels and group inter guild combat. They are taken under a wing and looked after. They either end up really enjoying it or decide it simply isn't for them and go back to what they know and like best.

I have been taking players under my PvP wing for the last 14 years......it's about teamwork and finding a group of people you trust and who can help you.

Gunga Din [PAX] likes this.
  18. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I wasn't the one who referenced the poll, I just supplied it. Personally, I think polls on these forums make terrible evidence for any claim. Not everyone visits them, the phrasing of the questions can be skewed, etc.

Polls are the devil.

Ragnabrock, Aeryk, RelExpo and 5 others like this.
  19. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

One notes that this process can -- and should -- happen independent of the loot which is or isn't available.

20. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I agree, however it should also be noted that a player with no PvP experience wandering into a PvP zone on their own and expecting to have a fun experience is just wrong. It would be like someone trying to run a marathon with no training or experience and expecting to come first.

The whole point of doing things like PvP as a team is that you look after eachother! guild tend to supply things like potions, if items are looted they get replaced. Items that are looted are split between the players.

A true PvP community is just as closely knit as an RP community.......I just would never expect either group to understand eachother.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.