PVP Full Loot and the PKing experience!

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Greed., Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ara

Ara Avatar

The PvP guild you claim is "controlling" the node will not control the node at all. Other PvP guilds will do their best to take over the node in interest of getting the fine resources.

That is PvP over resources.

Add the exitement these PvP hotspots bring and suspect even you would understand that their will be competition over these nodes.

I am glad you mention the UO power scrolls since the competition for them was very, very hard. Loads of PvP players and PK:s fought over them. No one PvP guild controlled the power scrolls drops. It was fierce competition.

Even a mediocre PvP player put up way more competition then PvE mobs in the games i played over the years.

Only game i felt PvE was strong was Dark Souls, nothing else.

2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

LOL the pve player probably did not put up much of a fight because he was engaged in combat with 7 silver serpents or 5 lich lords when you attacked him. Not a very fun scenario for pve, and not very hard for anyone to kill some one in those circumstances. Usually waiting for all the pve to clear most of the spawn untill the boss is almost popped, then aaaatttttaaaaack!

Time Lord, Sold and gone and Ned888 like this.
  3. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

My personal experience is fact to me 'bro'. There is absolutely nothing that can be provided that proves that players are consistently more challenging than PvE obstacles and encounters. Here are some facts revolving around that for you:

Players are not online all the time, therefore it is impossible for them to be a consistent threat.

Players come in wildly varying levels of skill. This makes them an unreliable source of challenge and that removes consistent risk vs reward.

Players have different goals at different times, which means that they are not always interested in being the victim or challenge in an area thus removing consistent risk vs reward.

PvE obstacles and encounters can be tailored by the development team to ensure that there is always a risk that needs to be overcome every single time a reward is sought. Further the risk can be wildly varied to ensure that actual skill is required to overcome it. Traps, monsters, mazes, obstacles, hidden objects, etc. these are all available and can be modified and scaled to the character who engages them. Consistent and ever present challenge.

See, players are not all that great as a mechanism to control the game and there is not anything you can do to prove otherwise. In an RPG people are all different and have diverse motivations. This coupled with their skill level and play time restrictions due to RL commitments equates to a very unreliable and inconsistent threat. Might be too easy, might be overkill, might be nothing at all.

That's my point. I don't troll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Power scrolls were camped and farmed by powerful guilds and though they were contested they stayed put until they were ready to leave.

Mediocre PVP is just that and it doesn't hold a candle to well scripted and executed PvE challenges. You should really buy a copy of TSW and run the 5-man dungeons. They are some of the best ever designed IMO.

Top tier PVP is fantastic, but extremely rare.

5. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

So your anecdotal experience with AI PVE being greater than human PvP is what makes it fact?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Ara likes this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Hehe, Unless some one comes up with a "scientific poll" no one has anything but speculation, in either camp.

Time Lord and Sold and gone like this.
  7. Ara

Ara Avatar

PvP guilds and random PvP players took out mobs until the power scroll boss arrived and when that happened PK:s in numbers arrived and competed for the scrolls. It was just about never 1 PvP guild could camp the power scroll area alone without being contested.

Did you even play UO or are you just trolling?

PvE is easy mode since once you learned how to kill the mobs it is rinse and repeat.

That never happen even with mediocre PvP players.

KingPramus likes this.
  8. Ara

Ara Avatar

You dont need any scientific poll to understand that -

PvP+PvE is harder then PvE.

KingPramus likes this.
  9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

that is your OPINION of course.

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I was in a pve guild that did champ spawns, yes we ventured into pvp territory to do this being it was the only option to get powerscrolls. Many of the people in the guild quit the game after trying unsuccessfully to do these champs. It was indeed a massacre and controlled by the pvp crowd. No fun for the PVE person. If there was another way of getting power scrolls we would have never done them.

11. Ara

Ara Avatar

With the same PvE in both places PvP add to the competition.

It is as hard to understand as 1+1 is 2.

PvE is easy mode.

KingPramus likes this.
  12. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yes your right PvP add alot to the competition.

Thanks for proving my point.

KingPramus likes this.
  13. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Not competition, unbalanced and unreasonable risk vs reward.

It's astounding that you can't see that, despite all your foot stamping about risk vs reward. The risk was not consistent in any way shape or form. PVP was a failure in that instance.

Oh and yes I play UO for years and years. I still pop back in from time to time. What's your point? Did you ever play anything else or are you just trolling? Gotta ask, because this ain't UO2.

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

how can you think that ganking pve players engaged in combat with pvp mobs is harder than the pve player trying to defend himself against both fronts?

15. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Risk and reward.

It's far easier to defend a champ spawn than it was to attack......unless of cause the people defending were unorganised and clueless.

KingPramus, blaquerogue and Ara like this.
  16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Of course pve people are not going to be able to defend a spawn, they are pve. They are forced into pvp by trying to get power scrolls. We needed the scrolls to advance our skills. Being attacked by 4-5 5x120 template people have no problems killing gm skilled people. Yes its risk vs reward, and we did it, but not many of the pve people cared for it, after losing the spawn, every time.... it is not risk vs reward then it is just slaughter. The pvp person virtually has no risk. Let me remember how it goes. You get some stealthers to go in and watch, or you have ghost cams that watch the progress. When the champ is about to pop, the stealthers or ghostcam dude says over vent, "alright its about to pop, attack now" the stealthers attack, and the rest ride on in......

17. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I'm very much in favor of contested raiding. Killing the boss requires people to be capable of both PvP and PvE and be on their toes the whole time.
    Killing the boss is the reward. I don't care if losing players are lootable or simply banished from the hex.

18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

So you used to go to a champ spawn knowing that you would get attacked...... You didn't organise yourselves, you didn't take enough people to defend and you didn't work as a team.........that's why you lost the champ.

KingPramus, blaquerogue and Ara like this.
  19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you miss the premise of my point. Not that I would expect you to get it. We did go into the champ spawns knowing that we might get raided, some times they would not raid, but most of the time yes they did. Was there another place to get power scrolls for pve players? Huh? NO? Thats what I thought, so of course a pve player has to go to the champ to get a powerscroll. Does every pve player know how to pvp? no, of course not. Why is uo dead now? because people left. between the speed hacks most of the pvp'rs used, and the ghost cams, and new pve players just trying to play the content really put many people off to the game and they never looked back. Ever wonder why wow became so popular? because it had content for people to opt out of being ganked and griefed. So many pvp people wonder why pve hates pvp. Because the PvP'r refuses to see through the eyes of the pve person.

20. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

This makes me laugh.

The average PvPer is already easy to defeat even for a player like me, who isn't in any shape or way among the top PvPers.

Mediocre PvPers? Those are no challenge at all.

It's part of the reason I prefer to play PvP with matchmaking and balanced sides. Playing against pushovers, for me, is not any fun at all — and uninstanced PvP without matchmaking often has me going against players that don't have any chance of victory, which is just plain boring.

A proper PvE mob — the kind that is meant to actually be a challenge, to kill unprepared players, not the ridiculously undertuned ones that are meant for the player to plow through and feel like a hero — is often harder to defeat than a random PvP opponent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.