1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 24 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalsexy

royalsexy Avatar

If you'd like to test it, just wipe your char, reroll, wipe, reroll and you should have your 4x experience boost removed I believe.

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

If you look at My Bludgeon Post, I started with a New Char, and chose skills NOT given so yes I did test it very deeply.

Yes it will be slow and Yes you will HAVE to pay attention to what skills you set to gain and not.

You will have to PLAY the game - I love it.

I have said over and OVER that the Dev team needs to make it PAINFULLY clear to players that this will happen upon launch and even made a post about weening us off this 4x exp etc.

3. Womby

Womby Avatar

I think player retention is a significant factor in having 4x experience gain. A tradeoff between realism (1 x exp gain) and statistical significance (more players).

Kaisa, margaritte, Numa and 4 others like this.
  4. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

I can "play the game" when its finished, I dont need to start over every wipe and "play the game" again.

If you choose to do this thats ok, many others choose not to and thats ok too.

Ice Queen and margaritte like this.
  5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The email with R24 instructions had the same header as the last release, "Get Ready For Our Spooktacular Release!" Almost deleted it before reading.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  6. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

This is just amazing. Only one thing to say - apart from a huge THANK YOU to all the dev team for all their hard work and amazing dedication!

It calls to mind a cruise we did in Alaska. Early one morning we were rounding a bend, ahead was about 5 miles of perfectly still water with icebergs, and a glacier in the distance. The crew member commentating said "This is the OOH -AAH corner". Seeing such beauty we understood what he meant.

This game has hit a lot of OOH -AAH moments lately, and I reckon there are a lot more to come. Just when you think it's pretty amazing they take it to a whole new level.

I feel so proud and privileged to be a part of this, and very glad that I got in on the ground floor!

Rock on team!

Kaisa, Manerd, Numa and 11 others like this.
  7. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Combat change is nice! Now maybe we won't have to hear all the auto attack hate anymore. :p

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I have some questions regarding the weather system:
    Is weather tied to scenes or regions or the whole world? I mean when I enter scene A and there is a storm and shortly thereafter I enter scene B which is just next to it will there be a storm, too? Or will there suddenly be clear weather?
    What about weather on the overland map? Up until now there was no weather on the overland map (correct if I am wrong, but every time I left a scene there was clear weather on the overland map, no matter if it rained in the scene).
    If there is weather on the overland map will it be the same for the whole continent or regional based? So there is a storm in Drachvald but clear skies in Longfall...

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  9. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Eventually weather will be regional but for now it is scene specific. Long term the overland will show weather conditions over specific scenes/regions. The permanent snowfall over Brightbone Pass is an example of what that might look like.

Kaisa, Alexander, smack and 7 others like this.
  10. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

I am anxious not to see changes to the temporary PvP flag. There is no more people with PvP flag unless you are a level 70+. When can we expect a adjustment ?

Duke Lorimus and Logain like this.
  11. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I've got a half dozen people waiting for combat to get completed before they come back... I think pvp is on a lull because people have driven their heads into the wall working on it and feel like the same bugs are here that were here two months ago. Give it time. They're working on a lot of stuff on the game right now and I bet once the entire combat system is fleshed out it'll get balanced enough that people enjoy it and the larger groups of people will come back.

It is important to note that the scaling of Avatars strength as they level is very high. It's very MMO feeling that you have to grind levels before you can play the endgame stuff. By doing this they're also alienating people from PVP. Myself, as an example, I have not put my pvp flag on because I don't feel like getting corpse camped... I have less than 100 health... I can be 1 shot. It takes a LOT of grinding and leveling up before you can be competitive in the pvp side of things and many of us are tired of leveling up so we're waiting for no wipe and then we'll do the grind for a final time.

TL;DR: pvp isn't dead it's just on break for many people

smack, -TEK-, Numa and 1 other person like this.
  12. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

@DarkStarr I feel like the complexity being added into crafting isn't actually to benefit crafting but rather draw out the time it takes to become viable. This entire post will be in response to what you guys have done to crafting this release (R24)

Reducing the success rate of a smith isn't going to make it enjoyable to level it just frustrates you like the reduced success rate to hit in combat that you guys did a few releases ago (I literally have given up on combat and just did my first pve in months with Themo because he whispered me and said "I have 1 spot open come!" and I hadn't been able to chat with him for months so I wanted to catch up).

Just like in combat when you fail over and over you don't enjoy what you're doing. And this is a virtual reward so I could care less to sit in front of a screen and do the same thing 300 times so I can finally learn how to do it how you think is right. aka the 301+ times. IT's not that I'm getting any better it's that I've completed the quantifier that you put infront of me to get better. That system needs to be way less punishing.

Things you want to incorporate in leveling:
    • quality of enhancements
    • types of enhancements
    • quantity of enhancements
    • naming of the item (level 70+ smiths can custom name the item, level 90+ smiths get a title/history attached to their items)
    • consumption of goods/elements
    Things you don't want to incorporate in leveling:
    • grinding
    • constant failure when executing it correctly (your avatar's skill level is too low so you failed because of a system)
    When you guys talked about the crafting system you specifically said you didn't want to make it so we had to stand in one spot and do the same thing over and over. The system we have now requires that and then still isn't even good. Poor @Sindariya actually tested it in the QA and it was punishing. She was a level 66 in her skill and her success rate was less than 60%... !!!... !!!... ASLEKRJASLEKRJASELKRJ

Adding in new elements, that have been planned and I am fully aware of, like crafting tables and time of day and location is great. But keep with what was planned and pitched: quality of item. Don't go and screw with success rate. That just frustrates everyone.

My two cents. Take or leave. Cheers!

13. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The Tabor Drum, Harp, and Castle Wall variation are not in the Add-On Store yet. I'm assuming they just havn't shown up yet, but all of the other Add-On Store items mentioned are present.

Violation likes this.
  14. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I wonder when there will be the landrush for the new graveyard so your tombstone gets the best spot.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    smack, Katrina Bekers, Numa and 2 others like this.
  15. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Luckily it change a bit to the better last release so with lvl 66 I have now a 68% chance. But regarding taming, silver mining will not be the most annoying part anymore.

16. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Do you think that fail rate is acceptable?

I think scaling with something besides fail rate after level 50 in a skill is realistic... I think having less than 5% fail rate post skill 50 is realistic. I think having a reduction to less than 1% chance to fail at level 70+ is realistic.

What can be done and what people want can be two different things... I want what I just mentioned above. I want diversity in what I get from progression not just fail rate reduction. What do you think?

Wilfred likes this.
  17. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

this made me lol

18. DarkStarr

Names will be assigned randomly at a future date.

Ice Queen likes this.
  19. DarkStarr

May I politely suggest you start separate threads about these topics you are discussing here? They seem a bit off topic of the instructions.

20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Okay, gladly, I'll move it to a feedback forum. I felt like it was on-topic as it was feedback to the instructions. Sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.