1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 34 Lot Deed Raffle Winners

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Berek, Oct 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Gratz to all you Winners! Enjoy those homes to be.

4EverLost and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Oh! gratz Rada, very nice win :)

Rada Torment likes this.
  3. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Gratz to you too my friend! ;)

Kabalyero and Themo Lock like this.
  4. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

Here's the tl;dr...one COTO can be bought for around 1200 gold from player vendors, and provides as much rental time as 3500 gold paid directly in gold. But Majoria accidentally said month and that should have been week. But don't panic, it's not bad.

Here's the details:

Just wanted to clarify this as I have a taxable deed from the last raffle so I have the very basics down now. The rent on a row lot is 500 gold/day or 3500 gold/week (real life week, not game). The rent on a village lot is 1000 gold/day or 7000 gold/week. A COTO is the same as 3500 gold for paying taxes, so it covers one week on a row lot. Two COTOs cover one week on a village lot. Bigger lots I can't remember, don't have one. COTO prices seem to be very good in Owl's Head (around 1100-1200 lately). "COTO" means Crown of the Obsidian, that's what you're actually looking for. You can only buy them from player vendors (or buy them for real money in the Portalarium addon store). Most of the player vendors that sell them are labeled as such when you hover your mouse over the vendor in front of their house.

So effectively, you can buy a COTO and pay a week's rent on a row lot for around 1200 in game gold, which is really not bad at all. You can pull that out of the Soltown Catacombs, for example, in probably an hour or two at worst even at a pretty low adventurer level, just selling the rusty weapons/shoddy bows to Martin. And don't forget the 500 gold/day from the Oracle.

You use the U window in game to pay your taxes (you don't have to be at your lot when you do). You can pay at least several months ahead (be aware that if you get booted from your lot or decide to move for any reason, I do not believe you get the paid ahead rent back). And you click on the sign or plate in front of the lot to clain an available lot and to place your house and set various permissions. The house itself can either be crafted (shngled roof only at present, but they're nice) or you will find houses for sale here under the marketplace or on player vendors in game. Or just ask around, a lot of people have extra houses they don't know what to do with. You also need to set permissions on any container you place in your house.

I have found zero concerns with putting my home up in a PoT so far. I have not heard of any, either. Just talk to the PoT owner first and don't just pop on any available lot. Try contacting them both here using Conversations and in game, that helps. Also, I know you can be behind in your rent, but I'm not sure how far behind or what the penalties are.

One last note, don't convince yourself you need a huge house. You can find people willing to sell small houses of various styles they got in bundles that they don't need for very low prices (real cash or in game gold). A one story house with a basement has as much room as you will ever truly need for your stuff (the basement is a separate purchase, and you also need a basement hatch which I believe is crafted). They can also be crafted in the shingle roof style, as mentioned. I've seen the one story crafted model on player vendors for as little as 11000 gold, I think.

Just get a small house until you figure things out. You can always switch the house on your lot later. I have a village lot, as stated, and a small one story Viking. The inside is cozy and cute with a bed and table and various storage containers. This leaves me lots of outside space for gardening, etc.

If you have a row lot, I don't believe you have to provide a house - it's already there. You will have to add the basement, if you want one (and place the hatch).

Seriously, if you don't play enough to cover 1200 gold/week (or 2400 gold for a village lot) then you're probably in the right place just using the bank for your stuff. We're talking a 4-5 hour commitment per real life month to pay your row lot rent, at worst. It took me four hours to buy enough COTOs to cover the next 49 days on my village lot (I'm mid-60s adv level). And I didn't sell any of the crafting mats I gathered, just the vendor trash. And I don't play hard, I dawdle. :)

5. xyphon

xyphon Avatar

First, congratulation to the winners.

Second, while reading through the post I am noticing that several winners won multiple lots. There is one person that won 15 row lot deeds. Really? How is that fair to those that can only afford one or two tickets? One would think that it would be limited to one lot of each per person due to the scarcity of these deeds and to allow more players to have a home.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Mata

Mata Avatar

Congratulations to all winners and thank you! :)

7. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

I agree, but that is the problem with a lottery. If it isn't randomly dealt out to all ticket holders, than no one will ever buy more than one or two. Lots of us complained when they first mentioned the idea of the lottery. Not surprised to see it came true as predicted.

8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Thank you :)

9. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Lotteries are rarely fair. One player here put in less than 25% of mine and won more value.

I was actually very pleased to see how many people won 1 or 2 deeds though for a pretty good distribution, and those that put in a lot of gold to the lottery removed it from the system in a way that is -good- for new players. Why?

Because I'm seeing some row lots sell second hand for less than half their value - for gold. This means the deeds are getting relatively fairly distributed (trickling down) to the community for a gold cost, or a cash cost that is greatly reduced from the cash cost in the store.

It's not too difficult to grind up the gold needed for a row lot. You can get a row lot for around 60k second-hand, and 60k is absolutely obtainable with playing the game. Even if you don't like fighting, and you don't like questing, then you can visit the oracle and 10 (of the ~400) town criers in the game once each day, that's 40 days to a row house. 20 days to a row house if you visit 20 town criers per day.

Edit - there was no perfect solution, I think it's the best one they could come up with at the time and the deeds will still re-distribute.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Agree 100%

Vrunk Hrrk likes this.
  11. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

12. Net

Net Avatar

I do belive that lots have big long term value and the lots will only increase in price as the time goes on... I think effective gold sink are consumables such as obsidian potions. Or better yet fireworks, or dyes that last only a month, stuff like that...

I think that it would be better to wait with big raffles till game launch. Would not mind smaller raffles now, but I assume we will see most new players at launch and those need to be able to get house in the game.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  13. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

/Broken

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I bought 4 POT tickets and won 2 deeds... a POT Town, and POT City... I've not decided what I wish to do with them... I may sell them for filthy lucre. I may see if any of my current residents are looking for, or know of someone looking for a deed. I may donate one or both to Sara...

In Release 33 I bought 8 tickets and got nothing.

This is the nature of a raffle...

Those that won Many deeds likely bought Many tickets... Likely one Avatar chosen by a group pooling their collective effort.

Congratulations to All the winners.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  15. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Yep no complaints. "Fair" means everyone has the same opportunity, and they do. If you don't like the random nature of a lottery, then you save up the gold and buy a deed from someone who got it from the lottery themselves at a pretty reasonable price (right now - 6 months down the line may be much stronger prices)..

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'd like to see any future lottery/raffle be for accounts without housing, only. No repeat winners.

Repeat winners hurts the game. Yes, it's a good gold sink, but it's not good for the overall game. It favors power gamers and farmers. At least with no repeat winners you'd have people buying multiple accounts (with funds the game).

Datendrache and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

What about people who want to upgrade their deed to a larger size... or need deeds to build some common area in a POT...

The best thing for the overall game would be that anyone could buy the deed they want any time... but that's ruled out because of people who bought deeds with cash that want to preserve their value.

Elwyn and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Then it would simply be gamed...

A guild would pool their resources and have one un-landed Avatar purchase the tickets... No change in outcome. Or are you proposing that collective effort for the collective good be banned?

And... as @Katrina Bekers pointed out... the Lottery isn't the real gold sink... the Lottery is a method by with deeds can be made available more fairly than simple purchase... It's a method of distribution that has a small gold sink as an added benefit... The gold sink is the taxes paid for the lots claimed with them.

19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Redfish, that's like saying what about the guy that want's 20 houses instead of 19?

Who cares? I mean, seriously how is that not a game rich problem? There are people out there that just want a single house and your argument is that you can't upgrade?

20. Net

Net Avatar

Well, I think it is really different for POTs. You cannot place your POT deed in any POT, you need permission for POT owner and in the end it does not matter whether you own the deed or the POT owner. It may metter if neither is able to get it, but the situation is really different from place anywhere deeds. And thsoe are currently limited to 3 per account anyway so people still need to buy alt accounts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.