The Land Rush Begins

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Poor game design, Sep 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

City Lots are down to 25
    Town Lots are down to 63

mbomber likes this.
  2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well, I'm one of the "NOT for real-world monetary reasons" crowd.

If the lot selection process stands as is, I will certainly be using my Keep deed to pick up a nice row lot in town, to set up a Vendor in a higher traffic area.

After the rush dies down, I'll just flip out the lot with one of my smaller deeds, and use the bigger lot in my POT.

Opting out of the land rush was the primary reason I bought a POT to begin with, might as well use it to my utmost advantage. :)

3. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

If someone could help me with basic math - but even being a lord means there are far to many still above in pledge level to get any lot in a npc town.
    City, town lots are so limited -

But even if you decide to waste your town lot for a npc town village lot no chance as lord pledge?

Counting all the Lord Marchals, Barons - below no chance?

I have already accepted the fate that i will need to pay a greedy pledge level above me to get a good spot incase.

Grin

mbomber likes this.
  4. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Just spit balling here but I'm pretty sure there are only about 300 people that are Lord or above. I doubt that will severely, or even moderately, limit your options.

Duchess Wyldemane and mbomber like this.
  5. David J Thompson

David J Thompson Avatar

and not all of us are interested in the land rush, yawn....
    plebeian pursuits, common rabble, lower caste nonsense.

6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

there are over 300 above Lord and i think another 100 or more in my same Lord Level who will compete at the same time with my rush time. - many who have multiple lots available - and owls town has 40 lots total, kinsport 30 lots total. so even if the rest of the npc towns have 50 - we will not have more then Close to 300 most desirable NPC Towns. :)

So now of Course i hope you are Aware that NPC Towns lots you can 100% Forget. :)

I am ignoring Adoris - because i am going for a village lot at least , if you pledge crazy amounts of Lord of Course you want to Claim at leasdt a village lot , even if you have a town lot.

I am not complaining at all, but i think i am realistic if i say: i might have to try to purchase a good Location away form a higher pledge Player incase it is soo important for me. :)

I am just not making a fool out of myself giving me a high Chance of getting a desired spot.

And to be honest - I find Player Run Towns boring compared to having a house in a NPC Town. I testet it.
    You have a living Feeling in a NPC Town you do not have at all in those Player Run Towns.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
    Ice Queen and mbomber like this.
  7. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Ardoris, Valhold, Aerie, Artifice, Xenos, Celestis, Eastmarch, Brittany, Resolute, Estgard, Owlshead, and Desolis all appear to be varying degrees of major cities. Aerie, Brittany, Resolute and Ardoris being the largest of those.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Estimating for new purchases at 700 people who are Lord and above. That makes 1400 deeds of all sizes.

I count approximately 73 lots in Owls head.
    [​IMG]

165 lots in Ardoris.

[​IMG]

Brittany will be at least as large, if not larger than Ardoris, with Aerie and Resolute likely all in the same range as Ardoris. If we estimate each of the major cities available housing based on their perceived size relative to the Novia map, then compare to the examples we have with Owlshead and Ardoris, that gives us a conserative estimate of 1000 lots, of all sizes, in only those 10 cities.

If those were the only options, I would share your concern, Myrcello. But they aren't. Not only do we have 250ish PoTs, but we also will have to remember that Port needs to accomodate roughly 4,000 pledges that have housing rights, in addition to some unknown number of Add-on store deed purchases, with viable NPC housing.

So only if evey single Lord+ pledge placed in a major town would this be a real concern for someone who also has a Lord pledge. If you had an ancestor pledge, I would be slightly more concerned about getting a lot in a major town. (notice I didn't write "good lot")

8. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

First, i want to secure me a town water lot in Brittany.
    But now, with my PoTs and the founding of the Drachenbund, this has changed.
    Instead i will do anything to set up and maintain our own marketplace, right from the beginning.
    Set a lot outside of Drachenbund would be counterproductive for our aims. ;)

Logain, mbomber and Myrcello like this.
  9. Shade Cido

Shade Cido Avatar

And of course if you include all the Barons AND the Knight Marshalls all doing the same thing (I personally think that's one of the reason the Village Lots have sold out on add on store), once you get to pledge levels where main pledge reward is actually a Village/Row lot, you'll see the vast majority of those pledgers don't stand a snowballs chance in hell in getting ANY village/Row lot in any NPC town. This was never an issue when I joined as there was no such thing as a POT, but with that addition and the possibly of having reserved lots BEFORE the Land rush plus the ability of claiming a lower level lot with a higher level deed with no penalty , the published land grab system can now be abused by alot of people.

Being a higher level Knight (Founder with lots of add on store purchases). I might just have to do what a lot of players above me are going to do and abuse my higher standing by using my village lot on a fair row house property, swap it at later date with my add-on store Row deed and then use my reserved place in a POT to place my main house.I've then got a nice place to set up a vendor for lots of cash or if I'm really greedy I can wait a while until the economy is up and running then sell that desirable Plot location (still keeping the Deed of course) for vast amounts of Gold in game.

I wont as if just does'nt seem right, me using my higher standing and purchasing power to abuse the system and take a lower level pledgers chance at a desirable primary home...but unfortunately it looks like a lot of people won't have those issues.

mbomber, strabo and Myrcello like this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think it would be much easier to take care of the land rush outside of the game...

Have people select their lots on a web page so that they don't have to rush all over the map(to areas that might possibly be to hard for their current level). This not only would solve that but also speed up the process.

11. Curt

Curt Avatar

Give everyone with a pledge lot a number 1 to ... and then a website to reserve lots on. Even if a lot is already claimed by someone you can claim it if your number is lower.

To make it bit easier for them maybe could have so if a town had 4 water village lots and 20 village lots, you could reserve a water village lot with your number but not a specific out of the 4
    so during the actual land rush you was guaranteed one of the 4 water village lots in the town you had reserved in but not a specific one
    (if they had specific ones the web page would need to have maps of all towns where you could click on specific lots in the map

strabo, Womby, rune_74 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

I don't think there will be "no chance" I think it will be ULTRA competitive. There will be winners and losers. And in the immortal words of Axl Rose, "Just because you're winning don't mean you're the lucky one."

mbomber likes this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

LOL

mbomber likes this.
  14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I go back to my original thoughts... no one really knows where the "best" places will be.

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

The best place is next to wherever I'm living, everybody knows that.

16. Drocis the Devious

Nice work here. But I think you're using an old set of numbers (I know that's the best we have been give, but my guess is that those numbers are much greater than they were in May). Also we're not able to estimate "good spots" as this is a qualitative measurement that will be highly based on subjective reasoning. For example, how any "good spots" for vendors will there be in Ardoris? 20 maybe tops?

The math that I really care about goes like this:

There are probably about 15 to 20k lot deeds that will be in the game at launch. Just trust me on this for the sake of argument. So if we assume that 99% of all the people playing this game want their own home, then the only question we really should have is how many people do we think might play this game? I personally think we'll see at least 150k at launch. Archeage had over 1 million, so that's probably our best case scenario. So what's that mean? It means that even if we say our worst case scenario is something like 100k (which I think is very conservative and reasonable), that would mean that 8 out of every 10 players in this game would be homeless.

This land rush thing is NO JOKE, there are not going to be a lot of people with homes, and there are going to be even fewer with "good spots".

Womby and mbomber like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Yet we're all going to try to get a home near a moon gate or bank. :)

mbomber, strabo and Ice Queen like this.
  18. agra

agra Avatar

IMO:
    It's pretty easy to see (and a quick search shows it's been noted on these forums a few times now in the past months/years) that until you can choose where you zone in, any lot closest to the zone in point, for vendor location, will likely be the 'best'.

Even if/when they ever add a choice of zone in location, a lot nearest whatever the default zone-in choice is, will likely be the 'best'.

And if they randomize the zone-in location, that's just going to be annoying and frustrating. So, I hope they don't try that. :)

It should also be noted that founder's pledges currently state:
    as such, there will need to be a mechanism, however it's provided to actually deliver that "selection priority".
    Personally, I too hope the "selection priority" mechanism is out of game, via the web, but inevitably there's going to be some disappointment, I think.

19. Drocis the Devious

They have already stated that lot selection will definitely be in-game. There will be no web based interface. I also wanted it to be out of game, kind of like ticket master, but I don't think the devs wanted to develop that one time use application, which is understandable.

What will be interesting is if people are actively building walls and killing people in PVP zones to stop them from getting to the lot they want to get to. Oh the drama!

Womby, Vyrin and mbomber like this.
  20. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

You probably remember that over a year ago there was some discussion about this. This idea should be seriously considered. When you think about how scene load times might be affected by internet connections (and I have a lot of Aussie friends in this game whom I would hate to see at a disadvantage) and not to mention the speed of your rig, it only seems fair. Plus, your window of lot placement may open during work or some other spot where you can't load the game. A web page would provide more opportunity for everyone at the same pledge level to be on an even playing field. I'm not saying it would be perfect, but much better than in-game. It does require some form of lot coding and accurate maps of all settlements, which could take some time. However, these should exist anyway eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.