You're losing PvP cause..

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Antrax Artek, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I'm unlocking this thread after removing several posts for inflammatory comments and personal attacks. If they continue, we'll start warning accounts so that the thread can continue without being forced to be closed. If you have any questions on what constitutes a disruption, please see the community guidelines below. The biggest problem we're seeing right now is personal attacks and arguments:

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/community-rules-guidelines.54804/

antrax1990x likes this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The is one very GOOD reason the you do not gain exp for PvP - - it would be abused to the Nth degree.

What would happen - - - if you think it is ok is even possible it would be like exactly what happened when UO Implemented Exp for Factions, in a week a group of players had 5000000 x more exp than the average player . . . . . .

So this concept can not even be thought about, since there is NO way to prevent its abuse. Level balance wont work, # killed wont work, . . . . (give me any idea you have ill figure it out, so will others)

Cordelayne likes this.
  3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

on the siege perilous shard they implemented the ROT (rate over time) and you could only gain so much per day. This allowed people to actually play the game and not worry about leveling.

4. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

XP for PVP kills has worked successfully in many games. Diminished returns for XP when you kill the same person more than once with a cool off timer. SOLVED.

Ancev, Ahuaeynjgkxs, MrBlight and 5 others like this.
  5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

When I say tie the vitue system into PvP this is more what I mean.

Why do we PvP?

In town, unprovoked attacks is attempting murder. Guards should respond.

Out in the wilderness, unprovoked attacks is attempted murder but too bad. Learn to protect yourself.

A low level player in a five skull area, unprovoked attacks is attempted murder but too bad. Learn not to swim too deep.

High level player in a one skull area, attacking someone that has not attacked first is attempting murder. Virtue hit, now you are risking a bounty and being openly attackable by other players.

This allows for the choice to attack is there but there is a cost if it's less likely to be a challenge. The red/blue dynamic is there. And there's a boundary created for the level gaps.

Want to be a murderer, fine, but there is a cost with that choice.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Right, I get it. We're close on our idea of what would make things "better". However the devs recently said that there would be no NPC Guard mechanics. So I'm thinking about alternatives. I think I have something that will work but I'm not ready to discuss it yet.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

As an alternative to guards, or towers if they consider those the same, would be a harsher virtue hit. Immediately flagged for bounties. Etc.

Looking forward to what you have in might when you are ready

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  8. Bambino

Bambino Avatar

Really hard to test variations in PvP, much less multiple builds, since persistence took place while the game was still under heavy development.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  9. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I think I lose PvP because I'm bad at it.

For some reason- as far back as I can remember- I do just fine with "PvE" type games, but as soon as I start playing against another person, I run into problems.

It would be tempting to blame my poor PvP skills on SotA game mechanics, but I know a lot about them, and I'm still pretty sure the problem is actually me.

Speaking for myself, if I had to point a finger at the game for why I'm so bad at PvP it would be the FPS issue.

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Actually back when archer+air mage was every pvper, i got shield skills and it proved extremely effective against air mages (thier 2 big attacks are both blockable bolt attacks). The stun resistances helped and the charge skill was a very effective stun/gap closer and allowed me to use dodge as another means to avoid the arrows/lightning.

Afaik, a shield and light armor with dodge are still the bane of many magic attacks. And heavy armor with a big shield is a nightmare for archers

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Try this build against magic users.

Light armor (leather) with high dodge, shield masterworked with +block and +stun chance, and celestial blessing corpion poison, dagger, flurry, autoattack, health potions smelling salts and high movment speed. Throw some caltrops in too since they are a pretty awasome slow+dmg

Mac2 and Numa like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Just because someone is blockable that doesn't mean you'll block it. Dodging, Blocking and Parrying are also not going to create damage for you.

My argument is not that there is not existing nuance to the combat system. My argument is that fundamentally it all comes back to DPS. It's like when they interview a coach at the half-time of a game and he/she says the key to victory is to score more points than the other team. Well, no duh. The may be a lot of blocking and tackling inbetween all that, but at the end of the day the game is won or it's lost by how many points one team scores over the other. That's certainly true of our game and even when you factor in all the blocks, parry's and dodges that doesn't change. You're not guaranteed to block, dodge, or parry anything, in fact you have very little control over it. So if someone is 5 stacking searing ray...good luck!

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

My dps was much lower than this archer/air mage and i still won against him, because he had a great deal of trouble hitting me.

I also more recently witnessed an archer spam insane DPS against kor. Kor could not fight back due to a bug, and managed to outlast the damage until the archer's focus was depleted. That proved that focus managment is also a big factor as well

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Numa and Veronique of Lowlands like this.
  14. HogwinHD

HogwinHD Avatar

same thing over and over again, its literallly like im banging my head against a brick wall... PVp is like anything else thats new, you get better with time, when i first started pvp i didnt know what i was doing and i got my Butt handed to me many times.. but i learned and i stuck at it, ..

I put the time in and achieved what i have today and proved that anyone can do it, Absolutely anyone provided they Work at it.

Mac2, Vox Aquila, Numa and 3 others like this.
  15. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

Dude I LOVE YOU!! THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING!!!

"Having tested a lot at this point I really came to the point of thinking that the bigger problem are players, their closed and bigoted mentality, their need for relief, the total absence of the hard core idea, the lack of creativity in creating decks and combinations of equipment. Equal to the inexperienced worker who complains about the government because he does not find a job."

Come train with us and i PROMISE you will wipe the floor with the decks we help you build.

Numa, antrax1990x and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Something I've learned about people... once we make up a certain narrative about something, and start "telling our story" to others... there is a tendency to become very defensive when others start to poke holes in our narrative. Some people feel extremely threatened when their logical errors and misperceptions are pointed out.

It is often difficult for people to acknowledge that how we feel about something is largely determined by our thoughts and perceptions about that thing. If we change the way we think and perceive... we can change the way we feel.

But to somebody who is angry- or just an ornery person in general- their sense of identity is so tied up in feeling bad about the narrative they've concocted about things that they would literally rather be miserable than admit they might have been wrong or overly melodramatic about something.

To somebody in such a persistent negative emotional state... if you try to argue with them it almost invariably becomes "Oh so you are trying to tell me how I should feel?" or "Oh so I am being censored from expressing negativity here?"

But this type of response only belies what is really going on: At some level they want to be in a negative emotional state.

If you try to point out fact and information that contradict their narrative, they will generally refuse to acknowledge its existence. If you prove them wrong with your own experience, they will just ignore it or accuse you of lying.

Scientific research shows that challenging certain people's beliefs with contradictory information and evidence actually results in them digging their heels in further, and becoming even more self-righteous in their views.

I'm sure you can see how this dynamic plays out in many more ways than just PvP on SotA. ;-)

Beating our heads against the wall, indeed. My suggestion to you: just play the game and enjoy yourself.

As with "real life" if you are really good at what you do, and make success for yourself, there will always be others who are jealous and envious of you, and who think you must have cheated, or done something illegal, or live a privileged life compared to them, etc.

And maybe those things are true. But maybe they're not. Only you know, and that's all that really matters.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  17. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

just my 2 cents here...

I can't imagine someone imbued with such qualities can't come up with a less offensive way to state that :)

I mean puhleaze.... you suck because you're stupid might not be the best way to open your argument

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Mac2 like this.
  18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

A better way to say it might have been lack of knowledge and practice at pvp. What anthrax does point towards though is levels don't = win. It was mentioned that the winners of the virtue league are the top level players, but is this the whole picture? It was not mentioned that those same players pvp all the time, and how well they know who they are fighting as well, they have even held events teaching pvp. I am not saying levels do not help at all, certainly a level 20 person is going to be eaten alive by a level 100+ person. The game being less then a year in persistence, we are just now starting to see the soft cap system starting to work. The monster amount of exp needed for me to increase the damage on one skill by 3 is the same exp a person could gm an entire tree. I think, as we move forward, this will become more perceivable by more and more people.

19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Still puzzles me how some of you can compare "levels and XP" with UO's capped skill system.

I mean some have highlighted the difference but it seems they have been ignored for some political reason.:rolleyes:

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

you know you and i dont agree too much on stuff, but......i do agree with this!!!! I would love to be a bounty hunter!

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.