You're losing PvP cause..

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Antrax Artek, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

So they quit and play Chess?

You are so right, they all quit to play...........Chess!

Mac2 likes this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

3. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

LMAO, hey, I have fun playing chess, even when I lose over and over to my one friend, I still learn and enjoy the challenge.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's not how chess works.

I didn't say there were no tactics. I said that the combat system is a spam fest. Most of the tactics start and end with spamming a few attacks. There's not a lot of nuance beyond that.

Yes, people have tactics. But by and large the tactics are spam spam spam, do what other person can't defend against, spam spam spam. This combat system is not rocket science brain surgery chess. It's repetitive motion dumpster fire checkers.

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I completely agree, chess has its place.

Mac2 likes this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

yep - agree here too!

i'm often trying out new skills/ decks and have ideas. Mostly crap tbh :D

I can build a deck with stuns, debuffs, CC and then go and fight lets say 5 Mobs at once.
    I buff myself, do this, counter that and it is fun to fight the Mobs that way, but it takes way longer and is more risky to run out of fucus then building a
    dps deck and just spam damage onto them. I am quicker doing that, i use less focus, even less reagents, because i only use t1 or t2 damage spells.

I cannot speak for PvP here, but i would say its the same thing. Sure debuffs and CC, Stuns, Roots help, but if you can make the most damage in a short time you will mostly win - you just need to wait for a mistake the other does, while he need to make a lot of things to manage or handle you while he knows he makes less damage and his opponent need only one or a few hits to kill you.
    So i would need to blink and dash around, trying to stun, cc or root you and additionally do damge you.
    The one with the higher DPS need to do less hits and therefore can concentrate more on other things aka counter the cc, root, debuff things.

wow 2000 hits - as anyone enough HP to be not a onehit? i doubt.
    is there anyway a max of HP and Focus?

7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

btw someone want to fight my playing GO? :D

8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

When someone moves a bishop in place to take your queen, and your bishop is guarded so the queen just cant COUNTER by taking the bishop, placing a pawn in the way to counter the bishop is not a counter or tactical? Knowing the player your playing against likes to do certain things in chess like trying to move the queens pawns up 3, or always tries to set up for killing your rook with their bishop corner to corner, countering that before it happens is not from knowing your opponent and countering it? Counters to certain moves in chess is a HUGE part of chess, pretty much, that is what chess is.

If you know your opponent is just going to spam damage skills, you could focus on healing and run them out of focus, Jack did this all the time and it worked very well for him. If you know your opponent is going to use close range abilities, keeping them slowed and keeping yourself fast, or using blink to keep away while using pure range abilities is tactically to your advantage. Knowing your opponent likes to use chaotic feedback or shield of air, having torpid torment on your bar to counter those abilities when they come up is going to help. Knowing your opponent likes to use a lot of a certain school of magic, using warding gear to that school is going to help you. Now I could go on and on and on and on about abilities and counters and tactics, but there comes a time when you have to start to think for yourself.

2112Starman, Fister Magee and Spoon like this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

My problem is, i have to grind 2000hours before starting with this.

10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

No, lots of low level people pvp flagged, you just want to beat the top level people without putting the effort in.

belijaal and Ristra like this.
  11. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Oh no, seems i often be taken wrong :(

It's a general complain, that leveling takes to much time and grind.

Disgruntled likes this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

You have not told me anything I didn't already know (and it's good we have some common ground here). But you have made some points that I disagree with.

Yes, Chess is about counters and is very tactical. That's why I brought it up in the first place. However, SOTA combat is not like Chess in some very important ways. For one, both sides are equal at the start of the contest. Secondly, there is no way for one side to completely dominate the other side without one of the players messing up. That is not the case here in our game where one person can have a ridiculous advantage that has nothing to do with player skill.

If you read my comments to you above, you'll find that I don't use language that assumes because we disagree with each other you're "not thinking for yourself". That's because even though we disagree on some things, there's no point (and it's against forum rules) to personally attack someone by claiming they are some how inadequately playing or understanding the game. Perhaps you could stop using language like this?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Disgruntled likes this.
  13. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

HEY, you found another counter! :D

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

No, at the start both players are not equal, the person who understand chess better, and probably has played more has a wicked advantage is and is probably going to completely dominate the worse player over and over, and white moves first. I can't beat my one friend, but as I play him more and more, I do get better and closer and closer.

Can't help it, you are really frustrating to talk to.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

The wealth and p2w thing comes back to my mind.

If one can play 12hrs a day isnt that because of "wealth" and p2w?
    That's why i don't agree with the effort thing , that this "effort" decides who wins.

I am ready to put the effort in, on average i'm able to do an hour per day.

So when i am at your level?
    Aren't you sad that you cannot fight one more and have only a challenge if someone has equal level, gear and options ?
    Why do people insist on their power if that means that they cannot play with others if they still want a challenge?

I just don't get it , if we talk about playing games.
    Or it is only about competition and nothing else, not playing but seriously competing who is the best, who can grind more and faster?

Is that the game you play? Is that the game all want to play???

Honestly a real question and without to want to accuse or insult you, I really want to understand.

16. Drocis the Devious

Sure, people better at chess have an advantage. But the pieces in chess don't change, they don't level up. I'm not saying we should attempt to balance player skill. I'm saying that we should not make characters have such a strong influence on winning and losing.

If chess were like SOTA, you could level your pieces and have an advantage against players that knew how to play chess really well but didn't have time to grind out levels for their chess pieces so they lost to those people that didn't know chess at all but had a lot of time on their hands.

What if I think you or others are equally frustrating to talk to? That's not really important, it's against the forum rules to interact using personal attacks or focusing on "the player" and not "the idea" regardless of how frustrated we might be.

17. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Should we change the thread title to "Chess playing"? It looks like it's derailing...

18. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

If it's "going off topic" then lock it, like you have done to other threads.

Weins201 likes this.
  19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Well, considering I am really poor, and only have a basic account, but I can play a lot, nope has nothing to do with wealth and p2w.

You probably wont be, but I am the very top level player, can you accept that you might not ever be the top level player but you will still be higher then others?

I hate to have to repeat myself over and over and over, but since you cannot seem to understand this, and don't want to trust me on it, or anyone else, I will say this AGAIN. I have been beaten by lower level players, I am not a god, not indestructible, not invincible. I am getting beat by players who pvp more often, I do not pvp hardly ever, so they are better at it. Accept it or not, this is truth.

I play for fun, as well, trying to live my dream of making a living playing a video game. I can still have a challenge, and with people its still going to be a challenge. For example, the mage room in the rise is a challenge for me, I have to bring my a game to do it. Having more people with me might make it a bit easier and safer, but I am still going to play as hard as I normally do anyways.

You don't seem to get it, that I can agree with you on. As I said above, and before, I play for fun, and if I can, to live my dream of making a living playing video games. If I was all about competition, I would be at the tourneys more, I would be out pvping more, but I am not. I would not share my knowledge, I would not try and get things changed that give me advantage, I would not help people. But I do share my knowledge, I do support good ideas that will give me less advantage, I do help people. Who you THINK I am and who I really am seem to be completely different.

I play games to have fun, I enjoy fun, fun is enjoyable to me. Is this constant comparing you do all the time is leading you into despair? Answer me this, why do you play?

20. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Ok, locked...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.