Greetings Fellow Avatars! Here’s what we have for you in this week’s edition of Update of the Avatar:
- Release 70 on QA (Live Next Thursday)
- Saltwater Fishing Contest Livestream Today
- 9/20 Crown Shop Updates
- September Login Reward: Dragon Statue with Flames
- Release 69 Reward Program Items: Hot Stuff!
- Lord of the Isle Episode 2 Bundles
- Dragon Tour & Various Other Livestreams (YouTube)
- Upcoming Events Calendar
Release 70 on QA (Live Next Thursday)
An early version of Release 70 is on the QA server. Release 70 is full of new content and fixes, some of which is now on the QA server for early testing. An early version of the Release 70 Instructions is also available for review. We could really use everyone’s help to test all of this amazing content before it goes live next Thursday September 26!
- Ulfheim Rework
- Pumpkin Head Returns
- New Skills: Taming Frenzy, Solar Flare, Rainbow Blast Combo
- Will-o-Wisp & Phoenix balance
- Spooky Recurring Items Return
- Skull Masks
- R70 Rewards Program Items: Spooky Theme!
- Performance Improvements
- More Bug Fixes
- and more!
Please join us in testing on the QA server (instructions are posted each release in the bug forums) so we can make each release the best it can be. By helping us test prior to the release we can insure there are less bugs, more stability, and more balance.
Participating qualifies you for the Testing Incentives Program! We will reward you for your efforts because we do understand that time spent on QA is time lost on advancing your character on live. Each release we will randomly reward the following rewards (one prize per player):
- 500 Gold Crowns (4 prizes)
- Ant Farm (4 prizes)
- Antennae (4 prizes)
- Bug Cloak (4 prizes)
- Set of Bug Paintings (4 prizes)
- Bug Sprayer with emote (1 prize)
- Insect Leg Table (1 prize)
- Corpion Chair (1 prize)
In order to qualify you must meet the following requirements:
- Install the QA version of the game
- Login and play on QA for at least 4 hours per release
- Report at least 1 bug in the QA section of the forums
- Note that players will only be submitted for the lottery once per QA cycle. Continued bug reporting will not count toward additional submissions into the lottery.
Saltwater Fishing Contest Livestream Today
Another content packed weekly Community Livestream is today, Friday September 20, at 4 PM CT on Twitch! This week we are going to have a Saltwater Fishing Contest in the Fishing Expedition!
To participate in the contest go to The Fishing Expedition and start fishing at 4:15 PM. Boats in various coastal cities (Aerie, Ardoris, Kingsport, Mud and Port Graff) will take you to the Fishing Expedition Scene (you can also try whispering one of the devs for a teleport). The best trophy fish (longest) caught by 5 PM will win a prize! NOTE: We will be verifying location and time!
- Runners Up (2): Fishing Sign + Desktop Fish Trophy
- 3rd Prize: Ornate Water Platform + Bronze Fish Trophy
- 2nd Prize: Watermill Village House + Silver Fish Trophy
- 1st Prize: Player Owned Town Village Water Lot Property Deed + Gold Fish Trophy
As usual we will be giving out prizes at 4:15 and 4:45! To be eligible all you need to do is either make any purchase in the store or log into the game and type “Too hot in the Lava Hot Tub” in the chat window (no purchase necessary).
Watch on Twitch today, Friday at 4 PM CDT!
Are You a Livestreamer?
Get this exclusive in-game Streamer Camera for being a veteran of our Livestreamer Program!
9/20 Crown Shop Updates
You have one more week to get the first round of this year’s Vault spooky items including the very first Jack-o-Lanterns and various livestream items!
- The Vault: Current round of Vault items are available until Thursday, September 26 at 10:30 AM Central Time. At that time, the next round of 9 items will be available for two weeks, and then the next, etc
- Skull Cloak
- Prisoner’s Mask
- Torn & Tattered Wedding Dress
- Torn & Tattered Wedding Tuxedo
- Spooky Fountain
- Dead Hedge Fence Set
- 2015 Jack-o-Lantern Glowing Mask (digital)
- 2015 Jack-o-Lantern 6-Pack (digital)
- Obsidian Four-Story Row Home
September Login Reward: Dragon Statue with Flames
Next week is the first week to login and obtain the September login reward! To celebrate Dragon Con, and the imminent end of the heat of the summer, every player who logs in during the month of September will receive a unique foyer sized Dragon Statue with flame visual effects!
To receive the rewards simply login to the game before the end of September and check your rewards tab!
Release 69 Reward Program Exclusive Items: Heat Theme!
Record temperatures mean hot times so we decided to make the Rewards Program items for Release 69 heat themed! Reward Program members will receive these exclusive items immediately upon logging in during Release 69!
- Lava Hot Tub
- Flaming Top Hat
- Mini Flame Elemental Pet
NOTE: You must login during the release to receive each release’s exclusive rewards.
The Shroud of the Avatar Rewards Program lets you earn the best rate on purchasing Gold Crowns, AND receive exclusive monthly reward items!
- 900 Gold Crowns of the Obsidians every month
- Exclusive Monthly Reward Items (~ 3 per month)
- Exclusive Title every 3 months
- 3 Months: Keeper of the Faith
- 6 Months: Keeper of the Word
- 9 Months: Keeper of the Vow
- 12 Months: Keeper of the Flame
- 15 Months: Keeper of the Oath
- 18 Months: Keeper of the Pledge
- Pick any Dye 12 Pack every 6 months
- Pick any three of the 7 Obsidian Potions every month, including:
- Potion of Capacity: Increases carrying capacity
- Potion of Conservation: Reduces reagent use chance
- Potion of Expedience: Swift gathering on all gathering skills
- Potion of Precision: Increases Meticulous Collection to all gathering skills
- Potion of Preservation: Reduces armor and weapon damage
- Potion of Reclamation: Increases Salvage and Repair to all production skills
Lord of the Isle Episode 2 Bundles
As one of the biggest and earliest supporters of Episode 2 you will be granted the largest lot deed in the land (Castle), the title Lord (or Lady) of the Isle, a tour of the Portalarium Offices, and dinner with the game leaders including Lord British himself! Only 24 of these unique bundles will be sold!
Complete List of Rewards:
- UPDATED: Lord of the Isle Place Anywhere Castle Lot Deed: Tax Free Forever (when placed in a POT) and Tax Free for 1 Year (when placed outside of a POT). Placeable on water as well as land!
- Title: Lord of the Isle or Lady of the Isle
- NEW: Unique Lord of the Isle Home (to be revealed later)
- UPDATED: PLUS Choice of any 1 House currently available in the store
- Castle Basement currently available in the store of your choice
- Castle Wall Set currently available in the store of your choice (with enough for Castle Lot)
- NEW: Unique Lord of the Isle Dungeon Room (to be revealed later)
- 1400 Crowns
- 999 Bank Slots
- Pick 12 Prosperity Tools
- 2 Unique in-game items (to be revealed later)
- Early Access to Episode 2
- Episode 1 Box and map signed by the team
- 1 hour one on one with Chris for design discussion (via video-conference)
- One real silver ring crafted personally by Lord British: Numbered 1 – 8
- In-game version of the Lord British ring: Numbered 1 – 8 (including a place-able decoration version)
- Tour of Portalarium Offices
- Fine dinner and drinks with Lord British, Darkstarr, & Atos at a location TBD in Austin or NYC.
NOTE: Digital items that are currently available will begin delivery as soon as Release 62 (Jan 31). Other items will be delivered at a future date TBD.
NOTE: Travel costs NOT covered by Portalarium for Tour & Dinner.
Q&A & Various Other Livestreams (YouTube)
The Q&A Livestream last week was very informative! Here is the livestream from our YouTube channel in case you missed it:
Atos and others also sometimes livestream and you can check those out on our YouTube channel (complete with “Mojito the dog” cam). Note that if you subscribe to the channel you will be notified when they go live.
Upcoming Events Calendar
Be sure to check out the Forums Recurring Events section for other events!
Sept 26 – Release 70
Oct 10 – 13 – SOTA International Convention
Oct 31 – Release 71
Nov 14 – Release 72
Dec 12 – Release 73
Jan 30 – Release 74
Feb 27 – Release 75
Mar 26 – Release 76
Project to Support – Through the Moongate Part II Kickstarter
“Through the Moongate – Part II: The story of Richard Garriott, Origin Systems Inc and Ultima – From Wing Commander and Ultima VII to Portalarium” a book by Andrea Contato.
Through the Moongate is the ambitious two-volume comprehensive history of the Ultima series, Lord British, and Origin Systems at-large. Part I was successfully Kickstarted on October 16th, 2018 and covered Richard Garriott’s humble beginnings up through Ultima VI. Part II covers Ultima VII to Portalarium and includes Wing Commander and other important Origin titles.
Part II, which is already finished in Italian, is currently on Kickstarter to raise funds for translation and printing. If you’re interested in the history of Lord British and Origin Systems, definitely check out this project! Also, if you missed Part I, copies are conveniently available with certain pledges in the Kickstarter.
Resources – Players Helping Players
The official SotA New Player Welcome Forum and the Player Created Resources Forum have the best player created resources for Shroud of the Avatar, whether it’s a Player Written Guide, a Video Walk-through, or a Wiki-type Website.
Visit the official Community Resources page for a complete listing of all things community.