Greetings Fellow Avatars! Here’s what we have for you in this week’s edition of Update of the Avatar:
- Play Release 72 Now!
- R72 Livestream Today
- Crown Sale & 11/22 Crown Shop Updates
- November Login Reward: Turkey Statue
- Release 72 Reward Program Items: Fall Theme 2
- Lord of the Isle Episode 2 Bundles
- Lua & Various Other Livestreams (YouTube)
- Upcoming Events Calendar
- Community Event: What happened at River’s Cross in Jade Valley?
- Project to Support: Pantheon
- Project to Support: Crowfall
- Project to Support: Avatar Express
- Resources: Players Helping Players
Play Release 72 Now!
Release 72 successfully launched Thursday, November 21, with thousands of backers downloading, patching, and logging in to check out the changes! There’s lots of new content to explore, including:
- Krampus Returns
- LUA Integration (Phase 1)
- Reagent Agriculture Balance
- Unicorn Stew Recipes
- Grilled Wyvern Chops Recipe
- Fish Sticks Recipe
- R72 Rewards Program Items: Fall Theme (2nd Round)!
- December Login Reward: Holly Wreath Hat with Sparklers
- Performance Improvements
- More Bug Fixes
- and more!
Check out the Release 72 Instructions update for detailed information about all the new content.
Release 72 Livestream Today!
The Release 72 Livestream is set for this Friday, November 22, at 3 PM Central Time! All Avatars from around the world are welcome to join us in the livestream activities. We will be showing off player made Lua scripts, learning about the return of Krampus, getting a display of the Sword of Midras rewards, answering questions, and handing out prizes.
Livestream Schedule (Central Time Zone)
Monthly livestreams are on Twitch and include answers to your gameplay questions, deep dives, prize giveaways, and more! Here is the schedule:
- 3 PM: Introductions
- 3:30 PM: Krampus Return & Sword of Midras Rewards
- 4:00 PM: Player Made Content: Lua Scripts
- 5 PM: Ending Announcements
Win These Great Prizes!
We will be giving prizes away on an hourly basis with many being given away multiple times. Enter for a chance to win a prize by either logging into the game and typing “Leaves are falling all around” into chat OR by purchasing any item from our webstore during the livestream!
- Royal Elven Longbow
- Elven Elite Archer Armor
- Tabletop Tree Pack
- Ornate Elven Furniture Set
- Elven Keep Village Home
Submit Your Questions
We will be answering questions throughout the livestream, so submit them in Twitch Chat during the during the livestream and put !Question at the beginning of your text.
Watch on Twitch Friday November 22 at 3 PM CDT
Are You a Livestreamer?
Get this exclusive in-game Streamer Camera for being a veteran of our Livestreamer Program!
Crown Sale & 11/22 Crown Shop Updates
To celebrate the winter holidays Crowns are on sale for 20% off through the end of the year! Also the Crown Shop is packed with new items this week including Player Owned Town Animals, Garden Gnomes, and Book-filled shelves ! In addition we have added a set of Winter and Yule themed items to the Vault including some of the very first items we ever created!
- Book-filled bookshelves: A variety of fine oak bookshelves that are filled, and half-filled with books are now available in the Crown Shop to make your home and library feel more literary.
- Garden Gnomes: Bring cuteness and life into your garden with gnomes! Now available in the Crown Shop.
- Player-Owned Town Animals: Town Owners can now purchase items that, when placed, cause various animals to appear around their towns! For example, placing the saucer of milk causes a cat to appear! Some of these can be purchased from the Crown Shop and some are available from NPC Decoration Merchants. The initial list of animals includes:
- Calico Cats (NPC Merchants)
- Cats: Siamese & Tabby (Crown Shop)
- Deer (Crown Shop)
- Pigs (Crown Shop)
- Reindeer (Crown Shop)
- Rabbits (NPC Merchants)
- Sheep (Crown Shop)
- Squirrels (NPC Merchants)
- Turkeys (Crown Shop)
- The Vault: Current round of Vault items are available until Thursday, December 5 at 10:30 AM Central Time. At that time, the next round of 9 items will be available for two weeks, and then the next, etc
- 2017 Yule Card 5-Pack
- Ice Wings
- 2016 Winter Holiday – Wax Cylinders
- Winter Lynx Pet
- 2015 Holiday Wreath
- 2015 Yule Hat
- 2015 Yule Tree
- Yule Velvet Bodice Ensemble
- Viking Stronghold
November Login Reward: Turkey Statue
Today is the first day to login and obtain the November login reward! To celebrate Autumn (and the traditional feasts of Thanksgiving here in the United States), every player who logs in during the month of November will receive a unique Turkey Statue!
Fun Trivia: Benjamin Franklin wanted to make the turkey the national bird of the United States but the Bald Eagle ended up being chosen.
To receive the rewards simply login to the game before the end of November and check your rewards tab!
Release 72 Reward Program Exclusive Items: Fall Theme 2!
The Release 71 Autumn themed items were so popular that we decided to make the Rewards Program items for Release 72 fall themed again! Reward Program members will receive these exclusive items immediately upon logging in during Release 72!
- Autumn Leaf Mask
- Autumn Leaf Shield
- Autumn Leaf Trident
NOTE: You must login during the release to receive each release’s exclusive rewards.
The Shroud of the Avatar Rewards Program lets you earn the best rate on purchasing Gold Crowns, AND receive exclusive monthly reward items!
- 900 Gold Crowns of the Obsidians every month
- Exclusive Monthly Reward Items (~ 3 per month)
- Exclusive Title every 3 months
- 3 Months: Keeper of the Faith
- 6 Months: Keeper of the Word
- 9 Months: Keeper of the Vow
- 12 Months: Keeper of the Flame
- 15 Months: Keeper of the Oath
- 18 Months: Keeper of the Pledge
- Pick any Dye 12 Pack every 6 months
- Pick any three of the 7 Obsidian Potions every month, including:
- Potion of Capacity: Increases carrying capacity
- Potion of Conservation: Reduces reagent use chance
- Potion of Expedience: Swift gathering on all gathering skills
- Potion of Precision: Increases Meticulous Collection to all gathering skills
- Potion of Preservation: Reduces armor and weapon damage
- Potion of Reclamation: Increases Salvage and Repair to all production skills
Lord of the Isle Episode 2 Bundles
As one of the biggest and earliest supporters of Episode 2 you will be granted the largest lot deed in the land (Castle), the title Lord (or Lady) of the Isle, a tour of the Portalarium Offices, and dinner with the game leaders including Lord British himself! Only 24 of these unique bundles will be sold!
Complete List of Rewards:
- UPDATED: Lord of the Isle Place Anywhere Castle Lot Deed: Tax Free Forever (when placed in a POT) and Tax Free for 1 Year (when placed outside of a POT). Placeable on water as well as land!
- Title: Lord of the Isle or Lady of the Isle
- NEW: Unique Lord of the Isle Home (to be revealed later)
- UPDATED: PLUS Choice of any 1 House currently available in the store
- Castle Basement currently available in the store of your choice
- Castle Wall Set currently available in the store of your choice (with enough for Castle Lot)
- NEW: Unique Lord of the Isle Dungeon Room (to be revealed later)
- 1400 Crowns
- 999 Bank Slots
- Pick 12 Prosperity Tools
- 2 Unique in-game items (to be revealed later)
- Early Access to Episode 2
- Episode 1 Box and map signed by the team
- 1 hour one on one with Chris for design discussion (via video-conference)
- One real silver ring crafted personally by Lord British: Numbered 1 – 8
- In-game version of the Lord British ring: Numbered 1 – 8 (including a place-able decoration version)
- Tour of Portalarium Offices
- Fine dinner and drinks with Lord British, Darkstarr, & Atos at a location TBD in Austin or NYC.
NOTE: Digital items that are currently available will begin delivery as soon as Release 62 (Jan 31). Other items will be delivered at a future date TBD.
NOTE: Travel costs NOT covered by Portalarium for Tour & Dinner.
Lua & Various Other Livestreams (YouTube)
The Lua livestream was incredibly informative! Here is the livestream from our YouTube channel in case you missed it:
Atos and others also sometimes livestream and you can check those out on our YouTube channel (complete with “Mojito the dog” cam). Note that if you subscribe to the channel you will be notified when they go live.
Upcoming Events Calendar
Be sure to check out the Forums Recurring Events section for other events!
Dec 12 – Release 73
Dec 20 – Release 73 Livestream
Jan 30 – Release 74
Feb 27 – Release 75
Mar 26 – Release 76
Apr 30 – Release 77
May 28 – Release 78
June 25 – Release 79
July 30 – Release 80
Aug 27 – Release 81
Community Event: What happened at River’s Cross in Jade Valley?
Have you found this temple? Do you know what it’s for? What’s in the basement that no one wants to talk about? And where have all the residents gone?
Come on down to the Dragon’s Breath Inn in the hamlet of River’s Cross near Town Boundary 2 (or 3) in the Player Owned Town of Jade Valley.
Project to Support – Crowfall
Be part of shaping the next great MMO by becoming a Crowfall Backer! Crowfall is the first and only online Throne War game. You can win. Join intense PvP battles that demand strategy, survival and a fierce competitive spirit. Reap the spoils of war as an Eternal Champion!
Claim virtual territory on behalf of your guild or faction. Capture mines, mills, and quarries to secure resources, build castles, and besiege your neighbors. Scavenge artifacts and relics from the Dying Worlds and install them in your temples to grant blessings to your vassals. Capture lost spirits to do your bidding — or bind them into your weapons to infuse them with sorcerous power!
Project to Support – Pantheon Rise of the Fallen
Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen takes place on the high-fantasy world of Terminus, a wildly diverse land formed from fragments of many different realms and times, bringing with them their unique civilizations and deities. Explore long lost realms, as their people and cultures vie for power and form alliances, struggling to gain a foothold in an unfamiliar world. Uncover civilizations and awe-inspiring locales that offer incredible adventures for you and your friends to experience. Enter a world where the environment itself tells the story and where content is always king!
UPDATE: We were stunned to learn of the untimely passing of Brad McQuaid this week. He was one of the true pioneers and visionaries of our industry who brought Everquest to us. We have few words that can express how much we respect him; so we choose to honor him with a flaming sword tomb in Brittany Graveyard that reads: “Aradune: For the Brightest Flame Burns the Least Long”.
Project to Support – Avatar Express
The Avatar Express is a Shroud of the Avatar fan news site!
I’m pleased to report that The Avatar Express is clacking away furiously. News is being delivered and we have established systems to deliver it directly to your brain.
You can use one of those systems by following us on Twitter at @avatar_express.
Even more reliable due to its fully automated nature is joining us on the Discord server. News items are posted there via RSS.
Or you can subscribe to RSS directly on the site.
If you run an event, quests, etc, please consider helping out by self reporting. The Shroud community is big, and many things are happening that are never seen by others. With 10k monthly users, we would need a full time staff to track down everything that is happening.
You can fill out the contributor form, message @that_shawn_guy here or post in the Discord server that you would like to help. There is no committment once signed up, you can post as much or little as you like.
Writing up your own events has several benefits beyond the immidiate exposure. It serves as a record for others to see the history of New Britannia as we create it, in an attractive format. Publishing in the Express also has a higher chance than the forums of being seen by search engines and random readers, thus bringing more eyeballs and new players to the game.
It will even make posting in the forums easier! You can upload images to your news item, and then link to those images in your forum post. No more need for 3rd party image hosts!
So if you have something going on in your guild or town, or want to be a Reporter, Cartographer or Historian, please join us!
Resources – Players Helping Players
The official SotA New Player Welcome Forum and the Player Created Resources Forum have the best player created resources for Shroud of the Avatar, whether it’s a Player Written Guide, a Video Walk-through, or a Wiki-type Website.
Visit the official Community Resources page for a complete listing of all things community.