Lord British Returns!
Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues is a fantasy RPG that combines a single player narrative with a sandbox MMO created by a team that includes: Richard “Lord British” Garriott the creator of the Ultima series, Starr Long the Director of Ultima Online, and Tracy Hickman the author of Dragonlance
- Episodic Content: Five episodes of virtue based stories created by Richard Garriott and Tracy Hickman; supported by prequel novels starting with Blade of the Avatar.
- Single Player Offline Mode: Players will adventure through over 40 hours of story in an interactive world where their choices during ethical paradoxes have consequences.
- Selective Multiplayer Modes: You can also play with everyone in a single world with three different online modes (Single Player, Friends Only, and Open).
- Classless Character System: Vast customization options with hundreds of skills and spells in over 20 different skill trees.
- Player Driven Economy: Deep crafting system where the best items are made by players and player items are the main source of loot found in the game.
- Skillful Combat: A new way to prepare and fight in an RPG by building custom decks of skills and dynamically activating them in combat.
- PVP: Consensual with Open PVP flags, zones, and Guild Warfare.
- Pay Once to Play: No subscription fees. Each episode (released approximately annually) is a one time fee and everything in the game can be purchased with in game gold that can be earned (except for some exclusive backer rewards).
- Player Housing: Non instanced, finite, and embedded in the world with multiple group living options.
- Social: Full Guild System, Highly Active Community and Player Owned Towns.
- Crowd Sourced & Funded: Support the project by contributing content (and receive compensation) or by pledging (and receive exclusive rewards).
- Open Development: Players help shape the game by giving feedback on monthly early access releases, videos, weekly updates, blog postings, forums, chat, etc.
"The simple fact is that we've reached an era when it is a breath of fresh air to see a developer return to the roots of what an MMORPG could—and perhaps, should—be."
- Reuben "Sardu" Waters, Ten Ton Hammer
"How we love watching Starr Long, Richard Garriott, and crew keep at breakneck pace to make one of the most feature rich sandbox RPGs in ages."
- William Murphy, MMORPG
"From the creator of the old Ultima games, Richard Garriott, Avatar is a crowdfunded RPG that promises to bring back some of what made those games great."
- Erik Kain, Forbes
Award Winning Innovation
Shroud of the Avatar is hitting the ground running, receiving accolades from industry giants including MMORPG, Ten Ton Hammer, Gaming Trend, and more! Who knows what the second half of 2014 will bring? Read more about SotA in the news...
Play Release 18 Today!
Each month players are able to access pre-alpha releases of Shroud of the Avatar for a short window. The next release, Release 18 is set to go live May 28. Learn more about the current Release ...
Blade of the Avatar
Award winning author Tracy Hickman teams up with Richard "Lord British" Garriott to bring you Blade of the Avatar, the complete companion novel to Shroud of the Avatar. Get the Novel...
Live and Play Here
Players will stake their claim to in-game lots and build dwellings ranging from humble cottages to towering island castles. Pre-release backers will have early access to lots as well as rewards for supporting the development. Learn more about Houses...
Sigils and Circles
Players will adventure in an interactive world where their choices have consequences, ethical paradoxes give them pause, and they play a vital part in weaving their own story into the immersive world and lore surrounding them. Play options will include solo, friends only, or open multiplayer via the Selective Multiplayer system. Players can specialize in a wide range of combat and non-combat skills, provided by a robust, classless skill system, and full-featured crafting and housing mechanics. Learn more about Magic, Combat and Crafting Skills...
Stretch Goal Store
Shroud of the Avatar's unique Stretch Goal Store allows players not only to support the development of the game, but to directly choose how their contribution is used. This unprecedented approach to crowd funding puts the Community in control in ways never seen before in the gaming industry. Peruse the Stretch Goal Store...