1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

POLL: All Content Available in Offline Mode?

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 20, 2016.

?

Is it OK to allow access to ALL add ons and pledge rewards in Offline mode?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZhugeLiang

ZhugeLiang Avatar

In my opinion there would be no point in having an online and an offline/single player option and not allow all content to be both online and offline.

You would basically be saying things are not equal.

If you have online only options, then people wanting the offline/single player game would be turned off. The same in reverse.

Celthon and Duchess Fionwyn like this.
  2. LadyAvatar

LadyAvatar Avatar

Ultima 1-9 would be sad without offline mode >:3

Sir Cabirus and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I think the word you are looking for is "rarity". And if you are an offline player who is upset that another offline player, whom you will never meet or interact with in any way, will have to grind enough resources and gold to earn an item that you just paid money for, then I don't really have sympathy.

Your items ARE exclusive, in your own little world.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

If you believe that Portalarium's promise extended to the offline game, that's up to you. I don't believe it, though; so, speak for yourself. And let other backers speak for themselves, too.

5. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

No I meant exclusivity, as in exclusive to backers. By the way I own essentially none of these items as I am at minimal possible pledge level, but that does not make it moral to not live up to promises made to other paying customers.
    Right now these other paying customers will be framed as greedy bastards if they speak up, but I do not mind be called that, so I will.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

It seems to me Starr thought the same, otherwise: Why would he write what I quoted?
    Again: Democracy is irrelevant in this. If just one person feels cheated, they should get a refund.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Imagine the doors that comment would open....do you really think it is a good idea?

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

I would be happy to see people who really feel cheated by this decision speak up. I wouldn't call them greedy, even if I might not understand.

The thing I don't like is speaking in the name of a group that might not even exist.

9. Vortex2

Vortex2 Avatar

Just curious what the poll results would be for the question: "Should everyone be given a bonus Lord of the Manor account with a Metropolis".
    I believe most of the High Level supporters backed Shroud of the Avatar because they want it to succeed and are probably more tolerant to injustices then most, if it improves the games chance of success. But you have to admit everyone probably knew what the outcome of the poll would be before anyone voted.
    I just want this game to be something enjoyable to play, with a thriving community, and a long life.

10. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

I'm a greedy bastard :p which is why I like getting as many possible people in the game as possible and I hate seeing limited access to so much really cool designed stuff from add on store. Pledges, sure, make that pay only.. add on store isn't huge money items which could easily keep its value by being exclusively craft able by the ones who pay... but seen more abundant by it being sold through player market.

11. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Keeping the value of purchased items could be as easy as increasing the work to get the available materials for crafting. Every 10 dollars worth of item would equal x amount of hours to gather & build.

12. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

I have a lord pledge.. 1600, which is basically a town/row rent free lot, couple house and 2 cloaks that give light. The crafting tables are .. a edge, but should be findable all through the game... do I care what kind of house someone has in offline mode? Pfft, not at all, Heck, use Lord Britishes castle, call that your home.
    Add on store stuff is generally 10-20 bucks.. cool nick nacks, no power gain, but looks cool, needs to be craftabe though.. or it looses its value mid game.
    And if someone wants to build a Air ship, they should have to buy the deed and slave their guild to death getting materials.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  13. Canaris

Canaris Avatar

of course you should

14. GingerLee

GingerLee Avatar

I have many thoughts about this. Pledge level is by what amount a person has paid to play either online or off line. The items received from pledge and from cash shop should transfer between both on and off line and just those items only. No.... I do not have a problem with all items available in off line mode, but I do see some problems One thought is that having everything offline would kind give this game a feel of cheap quality. It would be like buying a $10.99 box game with floppies or disk, playing it for a 100 hours, get bored (because I have everything) and leave. Also the possibility of having everything available offline, could make online interaction with other pledged members become a bit sparse as people would more likely to be playing offline. What about my 500k of gold I earned offline with everything available. Would that gold on my character transfer with me to online to use? How about the crafted weapons or gear that I got awesome stats with by using the add-on store tools. Would they transfer with my character to online? These are just a few of what I think are good questions. I have plenty more and not really any good answers to go with them.
    Weighting the pro`s and cons, I vote NO to allow access to ALL add on items and pledge rewards in offline mode.

15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

While this is a possibility, plenty of folks still play the original Ultima, Wizardry and Bard's Tale games from the 80s and 90s. If the game has legs, and supports replayability, having the ability to get "everything" generally adds play time, rather than reduces it.

No items or gold will ever transfer between online and offline. Starr already noted that.

16. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

@DarkStarr

How bout PoTs in Offine? As like the most expensive thing ever?
    Your extra companions could live there and stuff :p

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  17. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

As Jayson already said, absolutely nothing can be moved between online and offline.

Maybe you're mistaking single player online (a game variant of the general online world), and single player offline (a totally different game, with different character, in no way linked to the online world). Note: the latter is not even selectable ingame now.

Turin2 and 4EverLost like this.
  18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The offline mode will be completely in a separate world. I wouldn't know or care if anyone else who paid $45 got a Lord Marshall house in their offline because I would never be able to go to his house or interact with him.

I vote yes, because I do not want the developers to waste development hours into attempting to block the add-on/pledges contents in the offline mode because the effort will be futile.

Let's focus on making the game fun and add more contents. If someone wants to have Lord British castle in his own little world, then let him have it. It shouldn't concern anyone else.

Turin2, Tahru and Katrina Bekers like this.
  19. GingerLee

GingerLee Avatar

20. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Because a lot of people actually pledged specifically for a successor to the Ultima series, not for UO2. Sorry thats not your cup of tea, but the offline play isn't going anywhere. With any luck, it will be greatly expanded from what we have now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.