1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Darkstarr's Release 7 Impressions (+ Revised R8)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jul 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychlo

psychlo Avatar

This whole experiment with PVP areas and the ability to toggle pvp on and off is an utter and complete waste of everyone's time. "PVP" is supposed to be fun correct? That's what everyone is say... "lets keep the pvp the fun way" They want PVP to be fun so to get the absolute maximum amount of FUN out of PVP it must never be enabled or disabled. The game is an alternate reality therefor it is a simulation of reality therefor the reality of the situation is PVP is enabled permanently within the entire area of compiled and accessible space. The only reason you shouldn't be able to take a stab at anything should be when you are restrained by a spell or when your in jail. Well if your in jail and your not chained you can still attack anyone. :) ENJOY AND WELCOME TO REALITY

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Is this the same reality where people grow old, look fat, are out of shape, have bills to pay, use the restroom, and die? Or are you talking about another reality?

Derium, Lord Spaz, Krellian and 7 others like this.
  3. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

This release is to test and polish combat a bit. This doesn't mean PvP areas are the only types of PvP in the game. This is just a test or something like that. Hahahahha

Caska DiFumarate and Time Lord like this.
  4. Sir Osis O`Liver

Sir Osis O`Liver Avatar

Would love to see apostrophe use make it into character names for R8! :D

docdoom77, Bodhbh Dearg and Time Lord like this.
  5. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

I am grateful that Portalarium is now going to start putting an emphasis on PvP! I only hope that the devs realise that they may have to reappraise some of their earlier standpoints and assumptions. There is no room for holy cows on the battlefield!

Myrcello, it would just be so awesome if such a combat system were to be borne from the resources of SotA and the community! And why not? If Portalarium provides the community with all the tools, then I, too, am confident that the resourcefulness, cunning and ingenuity of the players can result in something spectacular! Perhaps, as you say, "so awesome that other gaming companies will envy and try to copy" - Portalarium should be prepared to copyright and trademark the design!
    Therefore, I decline to take up your bet.

Btw, should not the phrase "Greetings Avatars" be more correct as "Greetings Avatarians" ?
    New Britannian + Avatar = Avatarian, as in specifically an Avatar of New Britannia, as opposed to an Avatar in general? ...Just a thought.

Time Lord and Myrcello like this.
  6. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

Nerdgasm, can't wait for this.

docdoom77 and Time Lord like this.
  7. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

In this reality, in order to properly mirror ours, you would have one account ever, one character, permadeath, and if you kill someone once and get caught you stay in prison the rest of your life.
    Sounds like a cool game.

8. Sierra

Sierra Avatar

Ummm - I guess the concept of reality is not understood by everyone here... as tekkamansoul said.

9. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Deutsche Übersetzung/German translation of updated R8 content can be found here.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

There is an ice shield, under water magic, isn't in game yet. And yes, it would work as an active counter against fire based magic. It was one of my suggestions in the dev+ section when they asked us what we'd like to see in magic long ago. Not sure if they got the idea from me or had it already.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/magic-combat-and-crafting-skills.3937/

11. Alvuh

Alvuh Avatar

My goals in this game will be simple and clean RP'ing and PVP'ing. You can bet through my many many years for PVP'ing I'm going to be enjoying this next release and be front lining attacks!!!

12. Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea

Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea Avatar

Holy Darkstarr......can it be?
    [​IMG]

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Lord Scooby

Lord Scooby Avatar

PvP here I come!

14. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

There we go again! NO! PvP is something only a PART of people here enjoys, and the ones that don't pledged based on the promise they could opt-out of PvP, or rather, on the promise you'll need to opt-in specifically... (Or knowingly and willingly enter a PvP zone). If people cannot do that in the final product, the team will have a huge riot on their hands (at best, don't even want to contemplate the worst case) and if they cannot avoid it in pre-alpha, they may just not play it, which defeats the purpose, since they'd have insufficient testers in game...
    But let's NOT devolve this thread in to another PvP promotion, and discuss the merits of the intended systems

15. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

I think he makes a good point. Besides the fear of losing gear, what's with the stigma behind open pvp?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Caska DiFumarate and Time Lord like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

I like PVP, but I also like being able to sit down in the game and not worry about someone instantly stabbing me in the back and taking all my stuff. Some people don't like or want PVP at all - to each their own.

After 25 years of slowly having almost all MMO's rain on their PVP parade, I often wonder if people that seem so adamantly in favor of open world pvp full loot understand that the war they are fighting was lost many years ago when they killed everyone and every thing, danced on their graves, and then road into town to kill their remaining friends and family? What's the stigma behind open pvp you say? A few idiots made it not fun for people that like fun.

Now then, I'm a huge supporter of PVP and if you read most of my 2k posts you'll know that. But what I don't support is pure chaos and destruction disguised as "freedom" or "fun".

Logain, Hoose71, Mishri and 5 others like this.
  17. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

That chaos and destruction sounds like fun to me :)

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

18. Thunder Chicken

Thunder Chicken Avatar

Tonight we dine in HELL!!.......... Great post!!

19. Drocis the Devious

Well yeah, it's a lot of fun for the few people on the winning side of it. If PKer's were smarter than they are, they'd learn how to ask for what they wanted in ways that developers could actually provide it. Asking for Open PVP with Full Loot because it was great in old UO is not really working, just in case people haven't noticed. :)

L.M. Avorin Swiftslay and Kaisa like this.
  20. KingPramus

KingPramus Avatar

I'm sort of new here, so i obviously wouldn't know a whole lot about this debate here. But has there been a proposal for a separate Open PVP w/ full loot server?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.