Free Trial Users Feedback Copy / as they can´t post it

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Myrcello, Mar 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Combining cards:

Option 1: Use the R key first then just click the 2 you want to combine - I literally have never used this feature
    Option 2: Drag and Drop on top of each other - Clunky and takes attention away from combat.
    Option 3: Press and hold 1 hotkey and then press the other. EX: Hold down '1' and press '3' to combine them. - This is what I use pretty much exclusively

For me Option 3 is no problem because I use a 17 button mouse with a full number pad on it. Even my backup mouse I use at work has 17 buttons. So for something I would normally have to stretch for I just push and hold one of the buttons on my mouse with my right thumb and then hit the second button on my keyboard with my left hand, or vice versa. Takes some getting used to but drastically increases gameplay experience once you do.

Primary Mouse:
    Corsair Gaming Scimitar RGB

Retired Backup Mouse:
    Razer Naga Gaming Mouse

The Razer is easier to get used to and more comfortable in the hand but 'feels' significantly lighter even though it's not by much. Thumb buttons are on a convex surface (the thumb buttons on this one are more natural feeling to press and more comfortable)
    The RGB is more customizable in some ways but has some limitations. The DPI switcher and the Multiple Profile switching is very nice though, especially combined with the internal memory that allows you to take your profiles and settings with you even on a guest computer by saving them locally to the mouse itself. It has a nice solid feel to it that for me adds to precision. The thumb buttons are on a concave surface (this takes more getting used to, but has some advantages too once you do)

2. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

Careful now, that sounds an awful lot like illegal macroing to me.

3. redfish

redfish Avatar

The problem with the different auto-combo suggestions is that they require the game guessing what they player wants to do, since there will be many situations in which there's more than one combo a player can make, especially when the devs start adding more combos. So if you have two different glyphs that can combo with another, which one does the game choose ?

Something I suggested for combos and stacking at one point is that I think it would be nice if combo stacking worked kind of like double-clicks or double-taps, where if you pressed two different numeric keys in quick succession, it would recognize it like a double-click and stack/combo them. It would be a lot more ergonomic and easier to do. If you're just pressing glyph keys rapidly in panic mode, its probably going to accidentally combo for you, but if you're in panic mode anyway, you might as well do that. The main problem would be though that there is currently a lot of input lag in the game, and double clicks/taps aren't often recognized correctly by the game and this would cause a lot of problems. I wish they could fix the input lag problem.

Ice Queen likes this.
  4. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

LOL, cmon they're not that crazy..... well not that 'kind' of crazy at least :p they're more the fun type of crazy imo, but if a hardware numberpad is ever made into illegal macroing then I give up on gaming. Whats next? HD monitors offering an unfair advantage because of the higher resolution and increased quality? High end graphics cards because of better fps? Might as well declare custom notepads or hero figures illegal for pen and paper games. haha

5. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Wouldn't this mean releasing a key doesn't result in an immediate action? I don't like the sound of that and technically that's what pre-cursoring your button presses with 'R' does anyway. I prefer the press both at the same time method that's already in. I use off-hand attack a lot and if I have more than one glyph up of it then I always use it in quick succession. So a change like that sounds like it would break that glyph at the least and probably others as well. Besides that, for faster casts/attacks I press and hold keys while I wait on GCD or cast time bars to finish so that all I have to do is release the key instead of press and release it once the CD is up. Grants several MS faster response per glyph use, on long fights that means I get a small handful of extra attacks in.

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Not really. Its like clicking vs. double clicking. I think you would say if you click something your computer recognizes it immediately.

I'm not sure exactly how its registered, but usually in programming there's a mouse down event and a mouse up event, and a key down and key up. I'm guessing a double click or double tap is usually registered if your second press down is in the middle of the release of the first. Either way, just like clicking vs. double clicking isn't really an issue, this wouldn't be either, if it were implemented correctly.

Of course, we have the huge input lag issue to deal with.

7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There are actually two events in a mouse click... mouseDown and mouseUp... Generally, it's the mouseUp event that has actions linked to it...

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, that's what I said :D A Click event is registered after a Mouse Up. Mouse Down has actions registered for things like dragging and other things that happen when you press the button (say the attack charge). I was guessing that the way the Double Click event is registered is if the second Mouse Down happens during the Mouse Up, but its just a guess. If so, that isn't really much of a delay, because the Click action isn't registered until then either. Then, you'd apply the same logic to Key Up and Key Down to do a double-tap.

The devs could also potentially do a kind of charge for glyph attacks if they wanted to also, if they recognized if you held a glyph key down...

9. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Hmm I'll throw in some input for what it's worth...

I enjoy SotA - love the game, tolerate the combat. Combat actually caused me to stop playing for quite awhile around R16ish. Specifically the deck system.
    I choose not to complain, because it's not how I am, and the obvious has been said already.

I understand where they are going with decks and it is intriguing, and now I sort of enjoy it in a way, kind of adds a cool strategy, it gets fun. But watching for skills, stacking, using, moving, and watching your environment all at once is tedious. So usually I end up just standing in one spot playing the combat mini-game and it's kind of lame.

I feel compelled to say this: I use the deck system because it is the most effective, not because I enjoy it more. Of course everyone uses it, that's the way the game was built!

10. runicpaine

runicpaine Avatar

Weird I have no input lag. And the exact instant I action a Key Release/UP or Mouse Up my action is executed. My point is that to implement the system your talking about, a input delay would have to be implemented to allow for and monitor for a second action. That's what I'm not happy about because I actually like the immediate effect that exists now.

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea I guess my point is that if you don't notice a delay between when you click your mouse button and when the action is performed, you won't notice a delay with the system I'm suggesting.

The input lag that currently happens is if your FPS gets low, it makes the game not recognize double clicks, double taps.

12. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

Like I said, you are trying to back up your opinion by including "A Ton of Players"! lets face it, you can't speak for them, lets keep it to our own opinions, to many times I see people digress to using the weight of others when they really don't know there views, unless you have a community somewhere that you lobby for! It is clear you are not considering the mass amount of players that like the game, seen by the last telethon, 140k raised shows me we have many that love SotA!

As for the Deck system, explain why you don't like it, seems you just don't like it when you have the option to play the action bar like any of the other thousands of games out there, no real need to use the deck system if you don't want to. So lets review your claim to the deck system, what don't you like about it? How can it be changed? IMO the deck system is refreshing and unique, I will admit at first it had me confused but once you give it a go, it has won me over to the point that I couldn't see not having it!

Barugon likes this.
  13. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

The COTO/Add-on store idea is interesting, though we will probably still keep this open on the store for convenience and other factors. There are some other store changes we want to make here too.

Can someone help me figure out what is trial user feedback here? I'm seeing a lot of feedback from our existing community, which is great! We just need the trial user parts please.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The issue is that trial users can't post to the forums in any meaningful way for support or feedback. Even the New Player Experience Feedback subforum in the Town Hall, which is open for them to access, gives them an error when they try to post:
    Open up the forums that should be open to new players.

15. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Will consider this! Some technical wrangling may be involved, but it's a good idea.

16. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

The posts from myrcello (OP) and greyfog on the first page are the ones with the curated off-forum feedback, see the ones with ------ breaks

17. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Yup, and i will keep saying by "tons of players" simply because i have tons of experience playing games as an hardcore gamer (mostly as hardcore guild leader) since about 25 years, expecially in MMOs.

So lets face it, i am not trying at all, i just simply have the experience by now how the majority of gamers think.
    I don't have to speak for them, every game designer/programmer (btw. I am an programmer too, it's my job) exactly knows that for the majority of the players the first few minutes count the most, that's a fact and any serious game dev will tell you the same.

Yes we have many still that love SotA, but lol, sorry i have to say it again, we could have TONS more :D

And about the deck system, seriously?
    I mean, are you now realy serious?
    Since i am an hardcore gamer i try to get the best out of the system.
    If i would play SotA like any other gimped WOW clone MMO then i would weaken myself massively in this game.
    Using the deck system how it is meant to be is the only logical way. So there is indeed a NEED to use the deck system or i will just simply suck in this game.
    Do i have a problem with the deck system? No, i am not an clicker and can stack stuff ultra fast.

However, only because i use it doesn't mean it is good or that i will/should like it. Of course you can't please everyone, but the current combat/deck system is the Nr.1 criticism point in pretty much all feedback sources.
    I don't know what they could change now so late in development, maybe it's already to late.
    But fact is, again, that tons and tons of potential players don't want to play SotA because of the combat/deck system where most players have to look at the bottom bar most of the time instead at the game.

I don't have theese issues so much, i can play with whatever System Port gives me.
    And btw., before you think i hate this game or whatever, no! It's exactly the opposite. I am now ADV. Level 98, i like the game we have, i just think we should improve it quite a bit here and there before release.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    majoria70 and Alana Baran like this.
  18. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I won't comment on all the feedback as I generally agree with most of it. I got to thinking that the beginning scenes really don't stimulate your imagination. For example: If you start playing a space adventure game, you can imagine visiting all the outposts/galaxies out there and without much reading imagine alien beings, pirates, warp drives and on and on right from the start. In our game this doesn't really exist. There needs to be a short concise "vision".... something to stir the imagination.

GrayFog likes this.
  19. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

They certainly know this now having profiled the trials, the majority left the game after half an hour....will the revamp of the starter scenes showing the larger scope of the game work? Only if vets play them with noob blinders on and give critical feedback so any problems get fixed before they do another trial.

GrayFog likes this.
  20. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think the new camp scene will greatly increase the amount of time new players stay on. After that, I'm afraid they will really need to take a look at scene sizes. There's really not enough space for more than one group in most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.