Greetings Fellow Avatars!
Cooks and butchers rejoice! The talented crafters of Shroud of the Avatar will notice some splendid changes to their butchering endeavors. Also, for those salvaging artifacts, expect some more Ancient Essences and Patterns to come your way! And for all those Avatars out there that have collected maps from the original map system, get those over to your crafting tables! For those wishing to participate in any community activities, upcoming one-time and recurring community events have been announced! Be sure to also review the Players Guide and Known Issues list for additional information on recent changes and upcoming fixes. Now, let’s see what we have for you in this week’s edition of Update of the Avatar:
- Butchery Update!
- Latest News Q&A Friday Livestream!
- Artifact Salvage Improvements!
- Crafted Bone Pile Decorations!
- Crafted Framed Maps Incoming!
- Jenn Gilbert Memorial Fund
- New Store Additions: Conversationalists & Seasonal Items!
- New Vault Round!
- November Login Reward: Autumn Leaf Pavers!
- Release 84 Rewards Program Login Items: Lord British and Holiday Themed!
- World & UI Changes
- Crafting & Economy Changes
- Combat Balance & Changes
- Updated Player-Owned Towns
- Bug Fixes
- Recent Shroud of the Avatar Livestreams
- Streaming Reward Program
- Bug Brigade & Testing Directives
- Lord of the Isle Episode 2 Bundles
- Upcoming Events Calendar
- Community Event: Catnip Games Weekly Fishing Tourney
- Community Event: Defectors & Curses RP Storyline
- Community Event: Mad Splatter Tea Party
- Community Event: Island of Wonders Monthly Fishing Contest
- Community Event: Decoration Techniques by Wilfred
- Community Event: Friendsgiving 2020
- Community Event: SotA Tales Episode 1
- Community Event: Crafters Town Shopping Spree
- Community Event: Beran’s Reach Auction
- Project to Support: Shard RPG
- Project to Support: Shadow of Valhalla
- Project to Support: Jar Wars
- Project to Support: Dragonfight
- Project to Support: Crowfall
- Project to Support: Avatar Express
- Resources: Players Helping Players
Butchers and cooks of New Britannia can now enjoy some very helpful Quality of Life (QOL) improvements to their craft! Here are some of the amazing updates which will improve the overall experience related to Butchering:
- Process animal recipes have all been added to the game and all old meat recipes have been removed.
- Process recipe icons now display the associated animal instead of the same meat icon previously used.
- These new recipes are known by default, but still feature skill level requirements.
These changes will set up Butchery to take full advantage of crafting updates soon to arrive. Keep on the lookout for more crafting QOL improvements just on the horizon!
Latest News Q&A Friday Livestream!
The weekly Community Livestream is this Friday, November 20th at 4PM CT on Twitch! Join Chris “Atos” Spears and other members of the development team for a community 1 hour livestream!
To enter the prize drawings, type “Autumn Leaves and Pumpkins Please” into any in-game chat channel OR make a purchase on the website add-on store. Please submit questions into Twitch Chat by inserting !question at the beginning of your text. Watch on Twitch, Friday at 4 PM CT!
Artifact Salvage Improvements!
Players of Shroud of the Avatar can now take their artifacts to their associated crafting stations for salvage and receive a far better result! Not only will salvaged artifacts now yield Ancient Essences in an amount relative to their tier, but a small handful of artifacts now yield a pattern which can be applied to your equipment to alter its appearance! Artifacts will break down into essences in the following fashion:
- Common: 1
- Uncommon: 1
- Rare: 2
- Legendary: 4
- Epic: 8
As more and more Ancient Essences enter into the world as a result of these changes, players can expect additional uses for these items in upcoming crafting recipes. And for polearm, dagger and bow users, check out these new patterns available! When these artifacts are salvaged, they have a 100% chance to provide a pattern:
- Halberd of the Sun (Polearm)
- Shard of Night (Dagger)
- Xen Penetrator (Long Bow)
It has been brought to our attention that the Halberd of the Sun looks too similar to another artifact. In the future, expect some slight modifications to it to give it an even more unique look which will vary more greatly from the Vile version of the model. Players can expect a large variety of artifact updates coming soon, to include additional patterns, new appearances for a variety of artifacts, and the ability to apply patterns TO artifacts. Stay tuned!
Crafted Bone Pile Decorations!Ready your weapons! Slay your fellow community members! Loot their skulls, hands and jawbones! Craft with their body parts! Previously, players engaging in PvP or acquiring body parts from other players by other means, could apply these PvP trophies to various recipes such as the Skull Goblet, Bone Windchimes, and the Skull Candle. Now three additional recipes have been added which will provide more bone variations to scatter around your dungeons, homes, and basements! Recipes for the following items were added:
- Bone Pile 1
- Bone Pile 2
- Bone Pile 3
If you wish to send a shiver down the spines of your guests, be sure to stack them high! These bone piles can be stacked on top of each other, and their recipes are available from the decoration merchant in Xenos above the bank. To accompany these new bone pile craftable decorations, on January 1st, a Skull Pile will be added to the Crown Store! Happy bone collecting, Avatars!
Crafted Framed Maps Incoming!
Originally, Shroud of the Avatar featured a map system which was accessible by using map type inventory items obtained through loot and merchant transactions. Now, developers are hard at work converting these maps into player placeable decorations! Not only will all these maps have a decoration version, but each map will have its own crafting recipes which will drop in mysterious and deadly locations throughout the game. The first two of these new recipes should arrive in-game upon the first patch after Release, and others will be soon to follow in the weeks ahead.
Soon to Arrive:
- Recipe: Framed Map of Ardoris (Fauns)
- Recipe: Framed Map of Kingsroad (Daemons)
- Recipe: Framed Map of Braemar
- Recipe: Framed Map of Deep Ravenswood
- Recipe: Framed Map of Graff Gem Mines Entrance
- Recipe: Framed Map of Grunvald Shardfall
- Recipe: Framed Map of Kingsport
- Recipe: Framed Map of Mysterious Swamp
- Recipe: Framed Map of Northmarsh
- Recipe: Framed Map of North Ravenswood
- Recipe: Framed Map of North Valeway
- Recipe: Framed Map of Ruined Keep
- Recipe: Framed Map of Owl’s Head
- Recipe: Framed Map of Ravensmoor
- Recipe: Framed Map of Ruins of Ravensmoor
- Recipe: Framed Worn Map of Ruins of Ravensmoor
- Recipe: Framed Map of Solace Bridge
- Recipe: Framed Map of Soltown
- Recipe: Framed Map of Southmarsh
- Recipe: Framed Map of South Ravenswood
- Recipe: Framed Map of South Valeway
- Recipe: Framed Map of Veiled Swamp
- Recipe: Framed Map of Vertas Pass
- Recipe: Framed Map of West Ravenswood
- Recipe: Framed Map of Wynton’s Folly
- Recipe: Framed Map of Wyrmsands
As these map recipes continue to patch into the game, adventurers will start noticing them in loot throughout all of New Britannia, each dropping from a particular creature or in a particular location. Some will be harder to find than others, but ultimately, players will have approximately 26 map recipes to find as they explore the world. Collect them all!
Jenn Gilbert Memorial Fund
Through years of gameplay and attendance of live Shroud of the Avatar events, community members might have had the opportunity to meet developer Justin “oneandonly” Gilbert. Justin has been a most valued team member for many years, but is now experiencing an immense loss in his life and could really use our support. Tragically, Justin’s wife, Jenn Gilbert, has passed away. Please, for those that have met Jenn or Justin or simply have love in their hearts for the team, please reach out and offer your condolences. On Justin’s behalf, Chris Spears has launched a GoFundMe page to help the family in their great time of need:
“No amount of money could ever replace the love, laughs, and comfort that Jenn Gilbert brought to her family. But we are hoping to help raise enough to help make life for her husband, Justin Gilbert, and her three children a little more bearable while they work out how to move forward without her in their lives. Jenn and Justin had been together over 20 years, having started dating in high school. Justin and Jenn’s mom, Judy, will now be trying to fill the hole her sudden passing has left in the lives of their three children, JJ, Jax, and Jayla…” (more at GoFundMe.com)
Even if times are hard and a donation to the memorial fund is not possible, please visit the Jenn Gilbert Memorial Fund page to learn more about Justin’s beautiful wife, Jenn. May she always be remembered, and may the memories of her always be cherished. Any contributions to the Gilbert family, no matter how small, are so greatly appreciated.
New Store Additions: Conversationalists & Seasonal Items!
Additional Inky NPCs have been added to the store with MANY more soon on the way! Players can now enjoy customizing the dialogue for a variety of Human and Dragon Conversationalists!
- Menorah 2020
- Conversationalist, Barbarian Archer Male 1
- Conversationalist, Barbarian Shaman Male 1
- Conversationalist, Barbarian Fighter Male 1
- Conversationalist, Brittany Guard Male 1
- Conversationalist, Brittany Guard Female 1
- Conversationalist, Black Dragon
- Conversationalist, Blue Dragon
- Conversationalist, Green Dragon
- Conversationalist, Orange Dragon
- Conversationalist, Purple Dragon
- Conversationalist, Red Dragon
- Conversationalist, White Dragon
- Conversationalist, Yellow Dragon
- Conversationalist, Norgardian Guard Female 1
- Conversationalist, Norgardian Guard Male 1
- Conversationalist, Norgardian Villager Female 1
- Conversationalist, Norgardian Villager Male 1
The Holidays are upon us, Avatars! Keep your eyes on the Crown Store and be sure these holiday items are under your Yule Tree! The following will be available either in the Vault or as recurring seasonal items:
- 2016 Winter Holiday Soundtrack
- Autumn Fairy Crown
- Autumn Fairy Outfit
- Autumn Fairy Wings
- Autumn Leaf Mask
- Autumn Leaf Shield
- Autumn Leaf Trident
- Banded Turkey Decoration Pet
- Breathe Blue Fire Emote
- Breathe Emote 6-Pack
- Breathe Snow Emote
- Brown Pilgrim Bonnet
- Brown Pilgrim Hat
- Ceiling Yule Tree
- Dark Yule Outfit
- Fall Wreath 2017
- Fall Wreath 2019
- Fountain of Frozen Waters
- Frozen Bagpipes
- Giant Haunted Yule Tree
- Giant Scarecrow
- Giant Yule Tree 2015
- Giant Yule Tree 2016
- Giant Yule Tree 2017
- Giant Yule Tree 2018
- Haunted Snow Family
- Haunted Snowman Mask
- Haunted Yule Tree
- Holly Wreath with Candles Hat
- Holly Wreath with Sparklers Hat
- Ice Elemental Statue
- Ice Hot Tub
- Ice Nightmare Mask
- Ice Wings
- Icy Ancient Stone Cathedral
- Icy Ancient Stone Room Fishing Grotto
- Large Haunted Yule Tree
- Large Yule Tree 2016
- Large Yule Tree 2017
- Large Yule Tree 2018
- Menorah 2014
- Menorah 2015
- Menorah 2016
- Menorah 2017
- Menorah 2018
- Ornate Cornucopia 2014
- Ornate Cornucopia 2015
- Ornate Cornucopia 2016
- Ornate Cornucopia 2017
- Ornate Mantle Garland 2017 12-Pack
- Ornate Mantle Garland 2018 12-Pack
- Ornate Replenishing Snowball Box 2014
- Ornate Replenishing Snowball Box 2015
- Ornate Replenishing Snowball Box 2016
- Ornate Scarecrow 2016
- Ornate Sled
- Ornate Sleigh
- Ornate Snow Family 2015
- Ornate Snow Family 2016
- Ornate Snow Family 2017
- Ornate Snow Family 2018
- Ornate Wall Garland 2017 12-Pack
- Ornate Wall Garland 2018 12-Pack
- Ornate Yule Music Box
- Ornate Yule Wreath 2015
- Ornate Yule Wreath 2016 3-Pack
- Ornate Yule Wreath 2017 3-Pack
- Ornate Yule Wreath 2018 3-Pack
- Reindeer Decoration Pet
- Scarecrow Mask
- Small Ornate Wall Garland 2017 12-Pack
- Small Ornate Wall Garland 2018 12-Pack
- Snow Emote
- Snowflake Pattern Cloak
- Snowman Mask 2015
- Snowman Mask with Hat & Moustache 2018
- Snowman Mask with Stovepipe Hat 2016
- Snowman Mask with Stovepipe Hat 2017
- Speckled Turkey Decoration Pet
- Tabletop Elf Statue with Yule Hat
- Tabletop Haunted Yule Tree
- Tabletop Yule Tree 2014
- Tabletop Yule Tree 2015
- Tabletop Yule Tree 2016
- Tabletop Yule Tree 2017
- Tabletop Yule Tree 2018
- Traditional Yule Hat
- Turkey Decoration Pet
- Virtue Ice Crown
- Virtue Ice Gown Outfit
- Virtue Ice Shield
- Virtue Ice Sword
- Virtue Ice Wand
- Virtue Icicle Cloak
- White Raven Decoration Pet
- White Reindeer Decoration Pet
- White Rottweiler Decoration Pet
- White Squirrel Decoration Pet
- White Turkey Decoration Pet
- Winter Lynx Decoration Pet
- Winter Pattern Glass Chandelier 3-Pack
- Winter Pattern Glass Floor Lamp 3-Pack
- Yule Card 2017 5-Pack
- Yule Card 2018 5-Pack
- Yule Gift Box 2016 3-Pack
- Yule Gift Box 2017 3-Pack
- Yule Gift Box 2018 3-Pack
- Yule Hat
- Yule Stockings 2016 3-Pack
- Yule Stockings 2017 3-Pack
- Yule Stockings 2018 3-Pack
- Yule Tree 2014
- Yule Tree 2015
- Yule Tree 2016
- Yule Tree 2017
- Yule Tree 2018
- Yule Velvet Bodice Ensemble
New Vault Round! The holidays are upon us, Avatars! Don’t let these holiday items, pass by. Get in on this one-week opportunity to get your hands on these must have items before the door on the Vault closes next week. The current round of Vault items are available until Thursday, November 26th at 1PM CT. At that time, the next round of 9 items will be available for one week, and then the next, etc.
- Brown Pilgrim Hat
- Turkey Decoration Pet
- Yule Velvet Bodice Ensemble
- Frozen Bagpipes
- Virtue Ice Sword
- Virtue Icicle Cloak
- Holly Wreath with Candles Hat
- Virtue Ice Shield
- Ice Elemental Statue
November Login Reward: Autumn Leaf Pavers!
Just when you thought you got all your raking done, more leaves have fallen from the trees! Simply log in during the month of November, and these amazing Autumn Leaf Pavers will become available in the Rewards Window.
Release 84 Rewards Program Login Items: Lord British and Holiday Themed!
- Lord British 2-Handed Axe
- 2020 Snow Globe
- White Goose Decoration Pet
The Shroud of the Avatar Rewards Program lets you earn the best rate on purchasing Crowns, AND receive monthly reward items! For the low price of $9 USD per month you will receive the following:
- 900 Crowns of the Obsidians every month
- Monthly Login Reward Items (~ 3 per month)
- Exclusive Title every 3 months
- 3 Months: Keeper of the Faith
- 6 Months: Keeper of the Word
- 9 Months: Keeper of the Vow
- 12 Months: Keeper of the Flame
- 15 Months: Keeper of the Oath
- 18 Months: Keeper of the Pledge
- Pick any Dye 12-Pack every 6 months
- Pick any three of the 7 Obsidian Potions every month, including:
- Potion of Capacity: Increases carrying capacity
- Potion of Conservation: Reduces reagent use chance
- Potion of Expedience: Swift gathering on all gathering skills
- Potion of Precision: Increases Meticulous Collection to all gathering skills
- Potion of Preservation: Reduces armor and weapon damage
- Potion of Reclamation: Increases Salvage and Repair to all production skills
World & Miscellaneous Changes
These miscellaneous updates affecting the game world or aspects of the user interface (UI) patched in during R83, will go live with R84, or will go live shortly after R84:
- Player-Owned Town (POT) Light Limits: Light counts for POTs were all increased by 50%. The new limits are as follows:
- Holdfast: 45
- Hamlet: 60
- Village: 75
- Crossroads Village: 90
- Town: 120
- City: 150
- Metropolis: 200
- Municipality: 240
- Megalopolis: 300
- Gigalopolis: 360
- Teralopolis: 450
- Owl’s Head: Morton’s quest to recover his ledger has been updated to include improved dialog and journal text, compass markers, and better quest-tracking logic. Players in the middle of the quest should be unaffected, but if they feel stuck they can talk with Morton to help get back on track.
Crafting, Items & Economy Changes
These changes to the player economy, in-game items, or crafting patched in during R83, will go live with R84, or will go live shortly after R84:
- Conversationalists: The character limits for all premium Conversationalists has been increased from 10K to 20K
- Snowballs: Snowballs can now be used as decorations
- Lord of the Isle (LOTI) Emote: LOTIs rejoice! The /radiate teachable emote has been delivered to all LOTI supporters! Seek out these esteemed community members to learn this dazzling emote!
- Foal & Tamed Horse Turn-Ins: A new quest to turn-in the original stretch goal foals and tamed horses for mounts was added to the game. The turn-in locations are as follows…
- Nob: The Stable Boy in Owl’s Head
- Bodan Koren: The Master Taming Trainer in Braemar
- Corsten: The Master Tactics Trainer in Desolis
- Falcon: Animal Trainer in Aerie
- Oakley: Stable Girl in Brittany Fields
- Swordsman Statue: A new recipe has been added so players can craft an Avatar-sized Swordsman Statue! Find this recipe in Aerie above the bank on the decorations merchant.
- New Artifacts: The following artifacts were added to The Breach adventure scene…
- Spurred Boots (Mount Artifact)
- Supple Gloves of Riding (Mount Artifact)
- Belt of the Dedicated (Tanking Artifact)
- Obsidian Band (Magic Resistance Artifact)
- Female Beggar Conversationalist: A new recipe has been added! Players can now craft a Female Beggar Conversationalist by taking the necessary ingredients to their Alchemy Tables! Find this elusive recipe on the decoration merchant above the Xenos bank!
- Decoration Improvements:
- 16 varieties of wall lights can now be placed on the sides of other deco such as castle walls and fences, if deco is enabled for those surfaces
- Wall Candles can now be placed on exterior walls
- 14 varieties of Wreaths can now be placed on other decoration items such as castle walls and fences, and as POT decoration
- 18 varieties of Garland can uniformly be placed on other deco such as castle walls and fencing, and as POT decoration
- 9 varieties of spider deco can now be placed on other deco surfaces such as the sides of castle walls and fences
- The Garden Shed can now accept other decorations on allowable surfaces
- 567 items adjusted so they can be placed as deco onto other items such as walls and fence vertical surfaces, exterior walls, and/or in Player-Owned Towns. Items include Mailboxes, Wall Shelves, Wall Mirrors, Wall Webs, Wall Clocks, Kitchen Racks, Paintings, Tapestries, Parchments, Banners, Holiday Lights, Mardi Gras Garland, Stone Relief Wall Hangings, Wall Steam Pipes, Wall Signs, and Hanging Signs.
- 80 varieties of fence pieces have been adjusted to allow for placement as indoor decoration to include basements and dungeons
- 249 varieties of trophies can now be placed on other items such as castle walls, fences, AND/OR in Player-Owned Towns
- 95 varieties of Block Letters and Runic Letters can now be placed on other deco such as castle walls, fences
Combat Balance & Changes
These changes to combat skills or concepts patched in during R83, will go live with R84, or will go live shortly after R84:
- XP Increases: XP for high level elementals, elemental bosses, and daemons was increased
- Mesmerize: Monster resistances to Mesmerize effects were improved
- Shadow Potions: These potions can now be placed onto the combat bar
Updated Player Owned Towns
These updates affected Player Owned Towns which patched in during R83, will go live with R84, or will go live shortly after R84:
- Arlia: Upgraded to Town
- B’azaar of the B’izarre: Changed name (from A’doe Trunalor), biome to island 01a, updated interconnections, and moved to shoreline
- Isle of Jala’s Song: Upgraded to Hamlet
- Knight’s Watch: Transfered ownership. Downgraded to Town
- Norstead: Updated interconnections
- Porcupine Creek: Added new Village, east of South Drachvald Spur
- Sentinel Stand: Upgraded to City
- Valor: Upgraded to City
Albeit many bug fixes patched in during R83, will go live with R84, or will go live shortly after R84. Here are some of the highlights!
- Fixes for error spam in The Breach scene
- Spelling fixes to a number of store items
- Fixes for player scale while on the horse to properly align the reins
- Horse eyes no longer appear frightened
- Obsidian stew can once again be eaten
- Play dead emote works again
- Fix for the odd animation issue after getting hit
- Mounts can now be locked in inventory and still be used
- Fixes to dragon skin rugs to allow decorations on them
- Minor tweaks to The Breach scene
- Bug polish to Rhun Ruins
- Fixed sink hole in Desert player owned town Template
- Fix for new foal runes/tooltips showing as “?Summon_Foal_Dun_StoreOnly?” etc.
- Fix for the massive durability damage issue
- No Trade Items will no longer take up bank slots when inside of a container
- Belt of the Dedicated fixed
- Drunk effects fixed
- Pumpkin Trophies now placeable as POT Decorations
- Arabella Cloak now placeable as wall decoration
- XP rewards for gathering meticulous collection has now been fixed
- Creature Pathing fixed in Upper Tears
- Estate Agent in Offline Mode fixed
- Baron Frigate windows fixed
- Ferig’s Battle Camp quest enhanced
- Ragged Leather Gloves coloring fixed
- Ankh of Sacrifice recipe name fixed
- Wooden Block Recipe name fixed
- Quiver of Jealousy, Common can now be Masterworked and Enchanted
- Necklace of Cautious Precision is now correctly called a necklace
- Typo corrected in the Dark Unicorn’s attack
- Character elbows are now visible while wearing Damask Lace Dress
- Sitting animation while playing a Harpsichord fixed
- Typo corrected in “Repair Spirit Wheels” journal entries
- Green Marble 16X16 2 Entrance player dungeon recipe fixed to use Green Dye
- Aerie Tavern & Fire Lotus Tavern rear stairs fixed
- “Find Out Why Owl’s Nest has No Ale” quest fixed
- Players will no longer go AFK while batch crafting
- Players will no longer go AFK while playing instruments
- Fixed the compass marker in Spindrift Passage for the Serpent’s Spine Mine exit
- The upper waterfall’s compass marker in Solace Bridge is now correctly labeled as “Upper Falls”
- Closed off a gap in the outer walls of the Forest Cave that was open to space outside the non-playable area
- Corsten in Desolis should now correctly ask for a taming necklace for a blanket horse in exchange for a rideable blanket horse
- Judith and Martin in Kingsport Sewers now always give proper responses when asked about “clatterers”
- Clockwork Dragon in The Breach no longer spawns inside the building
- Fixed incorrectly rotated Distillation Devices in Skrekk
- Crates fixed in Spectral Mines
- Northwood: Treehouse collision fixed in Northwood
- Overstacked barrels fixed in Skrekk
- API service has been restored
Recent Shroud of the Avatar Livestreams
Atos and other members of the Shroud of the Avatar development team go live very frequently on our TWO Twitch Channels: twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar and twitch.tv/communityoftheavatar — be sure to get these channels on follow and get the latest information right as we go live! Also, if you’ve missed our latest streams, check out our archive of content at our YouTube Channel (complete with “Mojito the dog” cam). Like! Follow! Subscribe! Prizes!!!
Don’t forget to also join the Shroud of the Avatar team and community over at our other social media venues:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShroudoftheAvatar/
- Catnip Games Twitter: https://twitter.com/catnipgames
- Shroud of the Avatar Twitter: https://twitter.com/ShroudofAvatar
- Shroud of the Avatar Discord: https://discord.gg/GuBXakQ
Are You a Livestreamer?
Soon, the Streaming Reward Program will be returning. As the details are getting reworked, we’ll reveal more information. Traditional streaming rewards included an exclusive in-game Streamer Camera for being a veteran of our Streaming Program! Expect the camera reward to return! More goodies will come to your way as the program fully develops. Thank you for streaming Shroud of the Avatar!
Bug Brigade & Testing Directives!
The Bug Brigade was established to improve how the community and the development team work together to improve the game. Since the Brigade’s inception, the program has gone through a number of changes and was eventually placed on hold. The stability of the game is as important to the development team as it is to the players, therefore the program was revamped and was recently relaunched.
The Brigade has been up and running for two months now, and the volunteers are getting into a good rhythm for verifying and submitting bugs to the developers. If you have reported a bug that has not yet been addressed, please be patient while the backlog is being worked. The Brigade is working diligently to cleanup the backlog of bug reports posted by players on the forums.
As was recently announced on a Twitter post by Chris “Atos” Spears, the upcoming development time for Release 84 will be primarily spent working many of the verified bugs which have been submitted to the team by the Bug Brigade. This focused effort on bug fixes would not be possible without the recent efforts of the Bug Brigade. Please take the time to thank these bug hunting aficionados when you encounter them in your travels!
In turn, the development team would like to express a big thank you to the Bug Hunters! These community members are doing a fantastic job bringing so many bug reports to the team, and they’re doing it in a way which makes the process smooth and efficient. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Already, much improvement has been noticed by the development team, and we’re so very excited to see the program successfully back in action!
The development team would also like to thank all of those who took time out to participate in the QA Testing Directive for the upcoming Mount System. Thanks to your hard work and dedication, many issues and bugs were identified and fixed prior to the system going to the Live Server! Keep up the great work! For those that wish to participate in future bug hunting endeavors, please check the forums regularly for upcoming QA Testing Directives.
Also, the Bug Brigade would like to welcome its newest Bug Moderator, Echondas! Please congratulate him the next time you see him in-game or on the forums. This new member expands the Bug Moderator team to: Alley Oop, Echondas, and Justyn. Thank you Moderators! Your efforts are highly valued by the development team!
Don’t forget, the Bug Brigade is open to all players in good standing, and the bug rewards are back! And they are SWEET! They will be awarded on a monthly progression basis with only minimal requirements to qualify. The available rewards to receive in progression via qualifying participation are as follows:
- Antennae Head Gear and Forum Title 1: “Bug Hunter”
- Single Ant Cloak
- Lady Bug Backpack
- Bug Painting A and In-Game Title 2: “Associate of Aphids”
- Ant Farm
- Insect Leg Table
- Many Ants Cloak and In-Game Title 3: “Bachelor of Beetles”
- Bug Painting B
- Bug Sprayer
- Bug Painting C and In-Game Title 4: “Master of Moths”
- Butterfly Chair
- Corpion Chair (Pictured Below)
- Yellow Fireflies VFX and In-Game Title 5: “Doctor of Dragonflies”
- Hacked Oracle Flyer
- Giant Blue Butterfly Pet
- Butterfly Mask
- Dragonfly pet
- Fairy Wings
- Monarch Butterfly Pet
- Dragonfly Wings
- Hacked Oracle Crawler
- Blue Butterfly VFX
- Orange Fireflies VFX
- Orange Butterfly VFX
The following bugs and quality of life improvements are being released to QA in the coming weeks, please keep checking QA, testing and giving feedback on these items:
- One hit to Zero Durability Root Issue
- Durability on Crafted Items
- Potion of Shadow Form Useable on Combat Bar
- Desolis: Corsten now correctly asks for a taming necklace for a Blanket Horse in exchange for a rideable Blanket Horse
- Player Owned Town light counts increased by 50%
- Shard of Night Pattern
- Daemon Trident Pattern
- Halberd of the Sun Pattern
- Xen Penetrator Pattern
- Ancient Essence Yield: Uncommon and Common yield 1. Rare yields 2. Legendary yields 4. Epic yields 8.
- Find Out Why Owl’s Nest Has No Ale quest updates
- Arabella Cloak deco types revised
- Meticulous Collection while Harvesting to yield XP Rewards in Loot
- Quiver of Jealousy masterwork and enchant updates
- Player Instruction Updates
- And much much more!
If you’ve come to think of Shroud of the Avatar as your home, signup and help make New Britannia a better place to live! To learn more about joining the Bug Brigade, please read the announcement thread by Ravolox in the main Bug/Feedback forums.
Lord of the Isle Episode 2 Bundles
As one of the biggest and earliest supporters of Episode 2 you will be granted the largest lot deed in the land (Castle), the title Lord (or Lady) of the Isle, a tour of Lord British’s property, and dinner with the game leaders including Lord British himself! Only 24 of these unique bundles will be sold!
- Lord of the Isle Place Anywhere Castle Lot Deed: Tax Free Forever (when placed in a POT) and Tax Free for 1 Year (when placed outside of a POT). Placeable on water as well as land!
- Title: Lord of the Isle or Lady of the Isle
- Unique Lord of the Isle Home (pictured above)
- NEW – Lord of the Isle Fishing Expedition (This scene version will work like a large instanced property such as a basement and will feature decoration surfaces to further beautify the scene.)
- Town Size Upgrade (if a town is not owned by the LOTI supporter, they may gift this size upgrade to another town owner. Maximum possible town sizes will be taken into account, but the Teralopolis size just became available!)
- Choice of 1 House currently available in the store
- Your choice of a Castle Basement currently available in the store
- Your choice of a Castle Wall Set currently available in the store (with enough for Castle Lot)
- Unique Lord of the Isle Dungeon Room (To be revealed later)
- 140,000 Crowns
- 1000 Bank Slots
- Pick 12 Prosperity Tools
- Lord of the Isle Crown (In-Game Wearable Item)
- Unique In-Game Teachable Emote (/radiate)
- Early Access to Episode 2
- Episode 1 Box and map signed by the team
- 1 hour one-on-one with Chris for design discussion (via video-conference)
- One real silver ring crafted personally by Lord British: Numbered 1 – 8
- In-game version of the Lord British ring: Numbered 1 – 8 (including a place-able decoration version)
- Tour of Lord British’s property
- Fine dinner and drinks with Lord British, Darkstarr, and Atos at a location TBD in Austin or NYC.
NOTE: Digital items that are currently available will begin delivery as soon as Release 62 (Jan 31, 2019). Other items will be delivered at a future date TBD.
NOTE: Travel costs NOT covered by Catnip Games for Tour & Dinner.
Upcoming Events Calendar
Be sure to check out the Upcoming Events page for spotlighted events plus links to various areas to post or find events on our forums:
2020/2021 Release Schedule:
- Release 85 – Dec 17
- Release 86 – Jan 28
- Release 87 – Feb 25
- Release 88 – Mar 25
- Release 89 – Apr 29
- Release 90 – May 27
- Release 91 – Jun 24
Community Event: Catnip Games Weekly Fishing Tourney
Greetings Anglers! The weekly Catnip Games Fishing Tourney is live! These contests run for 1 week intervals, Friday Noon to Friday Noon CT. We’ll announce the winners every Friday during the livestream.
Town Registration: Each week, the contest takes place in 3 Player Owned Towns, 1 Random PvP location and 1 Random Lava or NPC Town Location. Please register your Player Owned Town of choice in a reply to this thread, 1 entry per player, and these entries will be added into the town registry. The contest will cycle through the towns in the sequence they entered the town registry, then loop back again to the beginning. The town registry will be reset/wiped for new entries periodically to ensure only active/interested towns are within the registry.
Fishing Prizes & Objectives: All prizes will be no-trade. Players may donate additional prizes in the name of their guilds or towns to sweeten the pot. This event timeframe is Friday the 20th at Noon CT to Friday the 27th at Noon CT, and these are the prizes and goals for the indicated week:
- Largest FRESHWATER Fish (Town):
- Largest Fish (PvP):
- Rules: Must be caught in Rhun Ruins
- Prizes: 2 Chained Obsidian Shard 3-Packs, Large Silver Fishing Trophy
- Largest Lava Fish:
- Rules: Must be caught in Quel Passage
- Prizes: Fishing Rod of Prosperity, Large Bronze Fishing Trophy
- Participation Prizes:
- Rules: Everyone who caught at least 1 trophy fish in this week’s locations
- Prizes: Small Silver Fishing Trophy
Cross-Over Events: Prizes provided by the Community Manager will be available for participants and winners of the Fishing event, but governors, guild leaders and players are welcome to sweeten the pot by providing additional prizes based on objective criteria entirely of their own design. In fact, please consider planning events to overlap the duration and chosen weekly locations of the PvP and Fishing developer events. Please post these events in the in-game events forums and the Community Manager will promote accordingly. Please submit links to event threads which take place in the spotlighted towns, PvP zone or PvE zone.
- Current Crossovers:
- No crossovers currently available
How to Participate: To participate, players need merely catch trophy fish in the 5 locations indicated above. The locations will change every week at Noon CT on Friday, so be sure to pay attention to the announcements for new locations each week! Please do not send your fish to Elgarion via the in-game mail system. Through data logging, he’ll be able to determine the winners. SO please hold on to your fish, and feel free to use them in any fashion after the catch.
Head on over to the Fishing Event Forum Thread for more information. Happy adventures, Avatars!
Community Event: Defectors & Curses RP Storyline
Role-players of New Britannia, head on over to the forums and participate in an active role-playing storyline created by Arkah EMPstrike!
“Arkah set his last trunk down on the floor in his house. That made 5 large trunks, 4 backpacks, 2 sacks, 3 barrels and 3 crates. “Phew” he wiped his forehead as he stepped outside his door to tie up his horse, Trots McHorsington. “Sorry about all the work buddy!” he apologized and fed McHorsington a carrot. “His name is awful!” said Xalia, who made herself very unhelpful in a armchair by the fireplace. “Well,” Arkah sccoffed, “it’s not Your name.” He said while tossing stuff out of a trunk placed on his bed. “You dont have to introduce him at parties. Besides, we’re so far out in the boonies that noone’s gonna care.” Ever since the gas incident in Caelestis Canton…”
To continue on this adventure, head to the main forum thread on this topic on the official forums.
Community Event: Mad Splatter Tea Party
The Mad Splatter Tea Party takes place every 3rd or 4th Sunday of the month, which is a tea party in my back garden at Lily Byrd’s home in Jade Valley. There are drinks and eats, there is sometimes music, there are often party games with prizes, and sometimes attendees just sit and talk about life in Novia.
- Where: Jade Valley, Lily Byrd’s Cottage and tea garden on the south side of the Hall of Inquiry and Learning
- When: 3PM CT, November 22nd (Usually every 3rd or 4th Sunday of the month)
Attire: This is a role playing event tea party so come as your Avatar. We play games, we eat cake and drink…various teas and drinks… There are goofy prizes for winning games if we play them. See you there, Lily Byrd. For more information about this event, please see the main forum post on the official forums.
Community Event: Island of Wonders Monthly Fishing Contest
Each month, the anglers of New Britannia can enjoy a fantastic fishing competition in the Islands of Wonders! So many fantastic prizes await thee, Avatar! Crowns of the Obsidian! A troll horde containing valuable loot! Don’t miss out!
- When: The Month of November!
- Where: Islands of Wonders
Please message Rook Strife on the forums or in-game if you have any questions / feedback. For more information about this event, please see the main forum post on the official forums.
Community Event: Decoration Techniques by Wilfred
Art lovers and decoration masters! Come check out Wilfred’s most wondrous decoration guide! If you’d like to learn how to decorate like a master, you cannot miss out on this informative walkthrough. Wilfred’s techniques will reveal much in the way of enhancing your decoration efforts. For more information about this event, please see the main forum post on the official forums.
Community Event: Friendsgiving 2020
Hi all! The Graceful Bard, A.K.A. Lauremir, will be throwing a “Friendsgiving” party at her Village Lot in Immortal City! There will be a turkey pet giveaway for the first batch of people to arrive, as well as raffles and live music on her Twitch channel!
- When: Friday, November 20th, 5PM CT
- Where: Immortal City, Lauremir Elenir’s Village Lot
Head on over and spend some holiday time with your fellow community members! For more information about this event, please see the main forum post on the official forums.
Community Event: SotA Tales Episode 1
A player-made interactive quest has been created by Tristano Sforza, and is available to players of Shroud of the Avatar! Explore New Britannia, solve puzzles, gather resources, catch special fish, craft and use new powerful artifacts, kill mobs and more… but most importantly save new Britannia!
This quest is enhanced by a LUA application, and is intended for medium to high level players. Please be sure to provide Tristano Sforza feedback about this interactive quest, and encourage him to make more! For more information about this event, please see the main forum post on the official forums.
Community Event: Crafters Town Shopping Spree
Greetings Avatars! Starting this month, a new Shopping Spree contest will be running in Crafters Town! Lots of prizes are available, including Crowns of the Obsidian!
- Where: Crafters Town
- When: November 1st to November 30th
For more information about contest guidelines and prizes, please see the main forum thread on this topic in the official forums. Happy sales hunting, shoppers!
Community Event: Beran’s Reach Auction
Ladies and gentlemen! The Citizens of Beran’s Reach welcome you the weekly auctions! The auctions are about bringing together people from all corners of the community, with the Beran’s Reach market being the perfect place to do so!
- When: Sundays, 2PM CT
- Where: Beran’s Reach
For more information about the auction house event, see the main thread on this topic on the official forums. Happy bidding, Avatars!
Project to Support: Shard RPG
Shard Studios invites you to enter the fantastic world Dárdünah, the vast shard of a shattered realm, as presented in the colorful pages of the SHARD RPG! Many years in the making, this system allows players to choose from a wide variety of animal people who are the main cast of the many adventures this otherworldly setting offers. Skyships glide through shimmering clouds past majestic crystal peaks. Giant insects prowl alien jungles or lurk in the sparkling emerald seas. Warriors with blades of diamond and amber duel across crimson sands. And mystics chant in shadowy chambers as their spirits wander abroad.
- Intro Sheet: For a quick glimpse into the world of Dárdünah, be sure to download the intro pdf! It’s packed with great information and features beautiful artwork, not unlike the artwork found throughout the many pages of this gaming system’s gorgeously designed manuals.
- Core System Manuals: It’s easier than ever to delve into Dárdünah, World of the False Dawn, with the Core Books Bundle! If you’ve never had the opportunity to experience this unique gaming system and setting, now’s your chance! This bundle includes two beautifully illustrated, full-color, hardcover books: the original Basic Compendium and the Magic and Martial Arts book! They contain everything you need to begin your adventures, and include instructions for the ritual magic and martial arts combat systems. These manuals also include 90 new Animal Templates upon which to base your character!
- Other Shard RPG Products: So many more manuals and gaming materials are available! Everything an avid tabletop role-player and game master needs to delve into the world of Dárdünah!
So if you’re ready to experience a gaming world like no other, check out what Shard Studios has created for tabletop role-players on the Shard RPG official website! You’ll most certainly be immersed and amazed by the offerings of the Shard RPG!
Project to Support: Shadow of Valhalla
Shadow of Valhalla is a visceral physics-based VR combat game with dynamic RPG elements, set within an ancient realm of Viking lore and mystic powers! Early Access beta includes “endless horde mode” featuring a variety of enemies with progressive difficulty. Also, players can discover many magic spells to unlock! So much more is coming!
Finn Staber with Chicken Waffle, will join the Shroud of the Avatar team on Twitch during their Friday the 28th livestream to showoff this new Early Access game! Also, here is a teaser video on YouTube:
The development team is working hard to create additional environments and new quests! Shadow of Valhalla is available on Steam as Early Access. Additional features coming to the game:
- More Enemies!
- More Environments!
- More Magic Spells!
- RPG Quests!
- Weapon Forging and Crafting!
- Much, much more!
If you would like to learn more about Shadow of Valhalla, be sure to stop by the main webpage for the game as more news becomes available!
Project to Support: Jar Wars
While you are delving into Virtual Reality (VR), be sure to check out this exciting and hilarious new game, Jar Wars! Our very own Darkstarr has been busy on some side projects, one of which is Jar Wars, a slapstick multiplayer game made just for VR enthusiasts. Battle your friends with wacky weapons and intriguing gadgets for total domination of the Moon! Available for free on Steam!
Project to Support: Dragon Fight
Darkstarr has also been hard at work with the team for Dragon Fight VR which recently went live on Steam! Dragon Fight VR is an internal experiment to capture the “essence” of a dragon fight, the classic penultimate experience of every fantasy story. We wanted to create a short visceral, realistic experience stripped of user interface, lobbies, scores, levels, and other visual intrusions that might distract. There were some key elements of fighting a dragon that we wanted to capture and we felt VR was uniquely qualified to convey:
- Face to face with a large scale hostile creature trying to kill you
- Using a sword and a shield
- Nowhere to run!
This started out as an internal experiment to learn some things about VR’s capabilities, be reductionist in our designs, etc. We felt that the experiment was successful enough to release as a free experience to share. Enjoy! Available for free on Steam!
Project to Support: Crowfall
Be part of shaping the next great MMO by becoming a Crowfall Backer! Crowfall is the first and only online Throne War game. You can win. Join intense PvP battles that demand strategy, survival and a fierce competitive spirit. Reap the spoils of war as an Eternal Champion!
Claim virtual territory on behalf of your guild or faction. Capture mines, mills, and quarries to secure resources, build castles, and besiege your neighbors. Scavenge artifacts and relics from the Dying Worlds and install them in your temples to grant blessings to your vassals. Capture lost spirits to do your bidding — or bind them into your weapons to infuse them with sorcerous power!
Project to Support: Avatar Express
I’m pleased to report that The Avatar Express is clacking away furiously. News is being delivered and we have established systems to deliver it directly to your brain. You can use one of those systems by following us on Twitter at @avatar_express. Even more reliable due to its fully automated nature is joining us on the Discord server. News items are posted there via RSS. Or you can subscribe to RSS directly on the site.
If you run an event, quests, etc, please consider helping out by self reporting. The Shroud community is big, and many things are happening that are never seen by others. With 10k monthly users, we would need a full time staff to track down everything that is happening.
You can fill out the contributor form, message @that_shawn_guy here or post in the Discord server that you would like to help. There is no commitment once signed up, you can post as much or little as you like.
Writing up your own events has several benefits beyond the immediate exposure. It serves as a record for others to see the history of New Britannia as we create it, in an attractive format. Publishing in the Express also has a higher chance than the forums of being seen by search engines and random readers, thus bringing more eyeballs and new players to the game.
It will even make posting in the forums easier! You can upload images to your news item, and then link to those images in your forum post. No more need for 3rd party image hosts!
So if you have something going on in your guild or town, or want to be a Reporter, Cartographer or Historian, please join us!
Resources: Players Helping Players
The official SotA New Player Welcome Forum and the Player Created Resources Forum have the best player created resources for Shroud of the Avatar, whether it’s a Player Written Guide, a Video Walk-through, or a Wiki-type Website.
Visit the official Community Resources page for a complete listing of all things community.