1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Status and Priority of Pledge Rewards, Kickstarter Stretch Goals, and other items

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

alcohol is a priority because they want to expand the potion system, and drunkness is a posssible negative effect.

By Tor and majoria70 like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, I had the same questions but it was previously said that Commercial Launch would not be achieved until the Rewards and KS Goals are achieved, in addition to stability, polish, performance, etc. that they feel is of production quality.

Also, in the Q3 schedule, alcohol brewing was listed in R46, but is Priority 2 above. Yet, multiple characters slots is Priority 1 but not in the Q3 schedule. I'm guessing there's going to be some reprioritization of items in the Q3/Q4 schedules.

Not sure how most of the above will be implemented by the current end of year target for Commercial Launch, but we'll have to wait for the Q4 schedule / 2-year timeline to see.

majoria70 likes this.
  3. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

So no-one else appears to have asked this, and I could just go along with the apparent consensus, but I won't: Is 1 the highest priority or the lowest?

I'm already going to have to pay $15 for international shipping, so can't I already opt out by simply not paying it?

By Tor likes this.
  4. Spryone

Spryone Avatar

I am glad to see the Heraldry reward given some attention, I would have hoped to see it given a bit more importance. Being from a guild that is hoping to use this reward to establish our individuality as part of our "look". It is a step beyond using dye tubs for us to have our distinct attire.

Duke Gréagóir and By Tor like this.
  5. Umuri

Umuri Avatar

Can you clarify this please. This particular kickstarter system was a vital part of the justification for last names, and the requirement that alternate characters on the account -must- share last names. If this system is going away, are you now removing that restriction from the multiple characters on one account system? I.e. Would I now have the option "Susy Q' and "Bacon Reginald" as characters on the same account? Also does that mean any uniqueness in last names (requiring granting from the original character to add to their "Family") is abandoned as well and we can have people impersonate others merely by stealing their last name on an alternate account?

This concerns me greatly as the kickstarter promise was the (only good)justification for this, and it's been argued many times that this artificial restriction on character names was a blatant Pay2Win mechanic, in that people who pay for extra accounts are exempt from this "Rule" while those who can't afford additional accounts are limited by it.

Due to the ownership of many accounts by a large portion of players, I feel the argument that it's an anti-griefing mechanic is superfluous and provably false, so I am not entertaining that as the other existing justification for the last name persistence when i say the kickstarter was the only remaining justification.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Mykll, Preachyr, King Robert and 4 others like this.
  6. Lained

Lained Avatar

I don't recall this ever being a thing.

7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

sure was in the early days... along with ALOT of other RP mechanics that were theorized yet never seen the light of day :(

Stundorn likes this.
  8. Lained

Lained Avatar

I was referring specifically to the uniqueness of the surname and requiring granting use from the original character. A lot of things could be theorized based off pledge rewards but I've never seen this specific stipulated by the devs.

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It was talked about in the telethons :) it wasn't a pledge reward but a "what if"... if something was in the pledges it was simply that once you had chosen your last name, noone else could usurp it.

I doubt anyone will try to use my last name anyways, ROFL :D Don't try to guess it

10. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Just to be clear we are not eliminating "Last Names" as a feature for the entire game. We are just retiring the "pick a last name early" reward. I edited the OP to make that clearer.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
    Sentinel2, Kaisa, hroth and 11 others like this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

How will this be implemented? Currently, you can enter a name that is unrestricted by spaces or most characters. Are names going to be split, requiring us to rechoose them?

12. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

That's the point. Nothing is being changed. The system is staying exactly like it is now.

13. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

This is the best post I've seen in a very long time.

I'm a little disappointed about the 2-week early access to skills being axed because of an "advantage". Isn't the same thing caused by tax free deed, or any other number of KS rewards? @DarkStarr why is the line being drawn on this particular reward? It seems pretty miniscule compared to some of the economic advantages from other rewards.

Dominor666, Mykll and 3devious like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, arguable a tax-free deed is a much greater advantage, since paying taxes on large lots requires a huge slice of game income.

Kaisa likes this.
  15. Godra

Godra Avatar

@DarkStarr So the Duke and LOTM Heads, we were asked to get head shots awhile back. I mean a very while back. Not even sure if the pictures were good enough to use. Will we be asked again for them or be advised to send new ones because the original ones are not up to par for you to use?

16. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

If I understand correctly, what is changing is that anyone can have my exact name. Before, there could only be one Rhiannon (no last name). There could have been Rhiannon's with all kinds of unique last names but since I chose Rhiannon with no last name, there could have been only one.

I understand why they are removing this "perk" but it kinda makes me sad. There were hundreds of Rhiannon's in UO and to this day, I'm asked "I think I knew you on Chesapeak". No, that wasn't me.

Ah well. Not the end of the world as we know it...

Mykll likes this.
  17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There is no change in the game. Names are still working the exact same way they have since persistence.

The only thing is that the old kickstarter promise that some would get to claim their last name before others - that promise was pretty much made obsolete with persistence - hence why they are retroactively removing it.

So your name is safe.

Barugon likes this.
  18. Brickbat

Brickbat Avatar

@DarkStarr

So we know you are capable of making books with art in them in game (eg. the recipe book).

You have the graphics for the maps, you have the spine of a book, how difficult is it to combined those two things and have it be smart enough to know which maps you have added to the atlas and only display those.

Why is the Atlas a half-assed labeled bag?

With all due respect, Brickbat

Alley Oop and Pickley like this.
  19. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Apologies if I missed these being mentioned somewhere, but I would like to know how things are progressing on these two stretch goals -

$1.6m - New 'Mysterious Island' content, city and scenes (presumably that's not what Hidden Vale is now counting as?)

$1.7m - The Lost Vale, A new mini-adventure centered around a lost valley previously hidden to players, now visible only during special astronomical alignments

20. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Yeah there is supposed to be an overhaul of the area and the Agents of the Oracle quest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.